UBB.Dev
Posted By: Prince YaBB - 09/04/2001 2:13 AM
I was just checking this script out and I'm curious what you all think of it?

Does it really compare to a UBB or VB?
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: YaBB - 09/04/2001 2:35 AM
No. smile

[ September 03, 2001: Message edited by: Matt Jacob ]
Posted By: Prince Re: YaBB - 09/04/2001 5:40 AM
quote:

Can you elaborate on that?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: YaBB - 09/04/2001 6:29 AM
you are asking at a ubb support site, I doubt you'll get unbiased, or even straight answers... smile
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: YaBB - 09/04/2001 7:22 AM
quote:
Rule of life: you get what you pay for. And how much does YaBB cost? Right.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: YaBB - 09/04/2001 9:16 AM
Well the YaBB has some similar things to a UBB but what forum doesn't? They all have to have something in common...
Posted By: Mark Badolato Re: YaBB - 09/04/2001 4:22 PM
Yabb also has a creator who asked questions in his own forum like "hey I put this bit of code into the script [whatever the code was, here] and now it seems to work ok, but can someone explain to me exactly what this piece of code means?" and others on the development team who I've seen stating that they don't know perl very well but are learning, and then go on to ask very basic perl questions so that they can get code they're working on to work for inclusion in yabb.

Sorry, but that's not the programming team *I* would want working on something that would run on my server.

Now granted, I saw that about a year ago on their forums, and I haven't visited there since so things may have improved, but who knows?

That's my opinion, YMMV.

And incidently, the 1.x version of the script I had seen was loaded with huge security holes. For their users' sake, I hope that was fixed. Though I do recall Andy, for the brief time he was on the dev team there, telling me that he was trying to push along the information about the security holes, and they didn't do anything about it...

--mark
Posted By: Prince Re: YaBB - 09/04/2001 8:13 PM
quote:

Well, I thought it made more sense to ask you guys, rather than post the question on the YaBB forums.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: YaBB - 09/04/2001 8:25 PM
If you want information about UBBâ„¢ then this is the place to be.

If you want information about another forum script, then you're better served checking out their support/dev forums.

If you want to compare them, then I suggest that you do so yourself, and decide which works better for you. As others have stated, you're likely to get biased answers from both camps. Personally, I've never seen a YaBB.

laugh

-Tacks
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: YaBB - 09/05/2001 1:16 AM
yabb- a *free* forum based on (wat eles?) ubb, not really stable, only thing i like about it is in the user profile u can select to not be able to view other peoples sigs and avatars

vB- a forum u pay for based on (wat eles?) ubb. lots of fetures stolen for ubb dev teams ;P. very messy cp. infact took me a hour once to find something in it while foolin in anthor sites cp laugh (dont ask me y ^_-)

ubb-a forum based on, o wait the others are based on this one. stock forum is ok, lots of hacks, good suporting dev teams, stable, easy to set up laugh

....i hate vB ;P *waits for this post to be closed*
Posted By: cal Re: YaBB - 09/05/2001 9:25 AM
we'll have no vB bashing thankyou.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: YaBB - 09/05/2001 10:04 AM
Well I think we shouldn't bash anyones script, might give us a bad name.
© UBB.Developers