UBB.Dev
Posted By: Jamin Yet again, my new computer... - 12/13/2001 4:18 AM
OK, it appears that finally I'm getting all the problems with Directron sorted out, and I'm getting my refund on Saturday. (Knock on wood!) For future reference, I highly suggest staying away from Directron, as they seem to be rife with bad parts - I've had to ship my computer back 3 times since August for repairs, and this last time just to say to hell with it and get my money back. But anyway, here's my dilemna that maybe you guys can help me with... After this last computer fiasco, I'm not exactly trusting of myself to properly build my own computer. Of course a lot of it had to do with bad parts and unexpected compatibility problems that were out of my control, but still I have somewhat lost faith in myself in that regard. So I don't know whether I should try again with a different site and try to build another computer myself (parts list below), or whether I should give in to the powers that be and just order a pre-built one from a major brand.

Here's the list of what I'd buy if I am building it myself again.. Almost entirely from Newegg.com, btw... anyone had any experience with them?

Motherboard: Soyo Dragon ($138)
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 1900+ ($260)
HSF: ThermalTake DragonOrb 3 w/ Arctic Silver ($40)
Memory: 2x 512MB PC2100 DDR sticks ($260)
HDD: Seagate 40GB 7200RPM ($89)
DVD: Pioneer 16X DVD slot-load ($75)
CD-RW: TDK VeloCD (retail, $120)
Floppy: Whatever... Probably Teac... ($17)
2 rounded IDE cables and a rounded floppy cable ($25)
Case: Antec SX1030B Fileserver case
Video: GeForce3
Sound: GameTheaterXP

I've already got the case, video, and sound cards. The total cost of everything else is about $1000, which would give me $200 left over from my $1200 refund with which I'd probably buy some case mods like windows and lights and other fun stuff like that. If I went with Alienware and got a similar configuration it would be about $1600, and I'm still trying to find another major brand that carries Athlon (cuz I'll be doomed if I have to buy Intel).

So, any comments on the specs? Comments on Newegg? Comments on whether you think I should build my own or buy into the mass-market sort? I'm really not sure what to do here, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!

---Jamin

[ 12-13-2001 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Jamin ]
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Yet again, my new computer... - 12/13/2001 4:56 AM
Only half a gig of memory?
Posted By: Goku Re: Yet again, my new computer... - 12/13/2001 8:24 AM
wow thats alot, but congrats
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Yet again, my new computer... - 12/13/2001 8:47 AM
oh yeah, if you have $300 left over, get another 512 while you are at it... you'll still have ~$200
Posted By: Troy Re: Yet again, my new computer... - 12/13/2001 1:00 PM
I do most of my online computer part shopping at www.mwave.com, I've spent probably about 1500 bucks or so there. Never had a single problem with anything, prompt shipping, UPS tracking, etc... Might want to give 'em a shot anyway.
Posted By: Jamin Re: Yet again, my new computer... - 12/13/2001 5:44 PM
RAM has been updated appropriately. I didn't even think about popping for a gig of ram with the extra money, but hey, it works! laugh

---Jamin
Posted By: Stilgar Re: Yet again, my new computer... - 12/13/2001 5:50 PM
Newegg is a reutable company. A little overpriced on shipping, but good none the less.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: Yet again, my new computer... - 12/14/2001 1:55 AM
I'd suggest staying away from that motherboard and getting this board , this board or this board .

Those are the 3 best athlon boards around! laugh
© UBB.Developers