UBB.Dev
Posted By: tackaberry Musical Mahem!!! - 01/31/2002 10:37 PM
Real simple...
  • What musical instruments do you play, or have played in the past.
  • For those wishing to elaborate, feel free to discuss your instruments.
  • For those who have aspirations, feel free to discuss what you want to play, or an instrument you wish to own.

I play piano, guitar, bass (although none very well). Own a 4-string elec. bass, an Ovation acous/elec (both are leftys). and a Yamaha keyboard. I'd like to get a nice upright piano for my living room next.
Posted By: Stilgar Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 01/31/2002 10:47 PM
In elementary school I played the recorder. laugh

I can still play a mean "Twinkle, twinkle little star". tipsy
Posted By: RandyM Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 01/31/2002 10:59 PM
i've been playing guitar for 36 years, and right now I have an Ovation super shallow bowl (purple sunburst) and a mahogony Les Paul. I play anything with strings or keys and a few horns and woodwinds. I'm looking for a good midi controller right now but I haven't really settled on one that has the right action, full keyboard and will wtill fit in my back computer room.
Posted By: Dave2 Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 01/31/2002 11:22 PM
Erm... Piano/Keyboard...
Posted By: Jamin Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/01/2002 12:12 AM
I don't play hardly anything anymore, but I used to take lessons for lots of stuff. I'm terrible at most of it now, for lack of practice, but I suppose if I did a few quick refresher courses I could probably do something.

- 8 years of piano lessons. (I actually got pretty good at that.)
- 1 year of guitar lessons. (The teacher was, unfortunately, not very good, so I never really went far with it.)
- 4 years of flute in the elementary/middle school band. (f00.)
- 3 years of voice lessons. (I still sing, and I'm still good at it, or so people tell me. I don't really think so myself.)

smile

---Jamin
Posted By: RandyM Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/01/2002 1:35 AM
I think the Flute is one of the coolest instruments on the planet, but the least efficient with airflow. I tried but I didn't have the lung power.
Posted By: BloggerMan Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/01/2002 6:35 AM
I play the trombone, been doing it for 3 years... I'm in the top band now in 7th grade, we auditioned and were accepted to play at Disneyland, and my friend's choire group is going 4 days after us to sing. Heh.

Good times.
Posted By: Wando™ Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/01/2002 5:14 PM
I play two decks, a mixer and a laptop with loads of mp3's of not yet out on vinyl tunes!(progressive, hard house, trance and tribal)

Oh and apparently I can play a lady like a musical instrument but that's another story wink
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/02/2002 1:10 AM
Well in Music Class in Primary school I played Recorder and Keyboard. In Music Class in High School (Current) I usually just play keyboard.
Posted By: pumpkin Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/02/2002 2:00 AM
been playing the piano (classical) for almost 8 years now smile and I love it
Posted By: Wando™ Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/02/2002 2:04 AM
excluding myself I'm seeing a pattern here
Posted By: scats Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/02/2002 3:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wando™:
Oh and apparently I can play a lady like a musical instrument...

Which one, the kazoo? Heheh, j/k! tipsy

I play the doumbek, aka the darbouka, which is a traditional middle eastern drum often played to accompany belly dancing. It's a really fun drum, has a huge range of tones. Very few of the rhythms are 4/4. Been playing for about 10 years now.

Wow if flies by fast! eek
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/02/2002 8:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scats:
Very few of the rhythms are 4/4.

What are they, then? 5/4?
Posted By: CopyCat Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/02/2002 10:16 AM
acoustic guitar and flute tipsy

i cant play them anymore though hehe. it was fun
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/02/2002 10:24 AM
Prolly more like 6/8

I've been playing trumpet about 26 years... still not very well (I don't apply myself the time it takes to practice like I should). I do play ok tho and play in a couple bands when I'm not singing back-up. I played a few sports in HS due to my size, but was more a band/choir nerd. Choir Prez Junior and Senior year. All-Region Choir a few times and qualified for All-State my senior year, tho I never went cuz I just didn't have the time between work/school/football/everything else to work that level of music (Russian/Italian/etc - I had to learn how to even pronounce the words before I sang a note of it tipsy ) up well enough to be comfortable singing it with so many other extremely good singers. I still kick myself for not doing it. tipsy

I have a desire to learn how to play that acoustic guitar sitting a few feet from me cuz I can't play trumpet and sing at the same time, but mainly just cuz it's cool... smile I've taken a few piano lessons and a couple years or so of private voice lessons.

I have also been known to sing at a local coffee bar/internet cafe that has some great music on the weekends. backup... always singing backup smile
Posted By: scats Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/03/2002 8:55 AM
quote:
What are they, then? 5/4?
Sure! Pick one! wink 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 ... over 4 or 8. tipsy Right now I'm happily stuck on an Armenian rhythm called "Georgina" that's in 10/4. (3-2-2-3)

But that sounds kinda snotty and I don't mean it to be. I've developed some skill after 10 years, but it's only now that I'm emerging from my shyness enough to play in front of a group. I'm leading a "drum circle", even. Heheh. smile
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/04/2002 6:38 AM
Well, I play the drums. And I still do, the band I was in split so yea. I play solo at the moment.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Musical Mahem!!! - 02/04/2002 6:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tech-Ni-Kal:
Well, I play the drums.

How many pieces and what kind of set do you have?
© UBB.Developers