UBB.Dev
Posted By: Deb Winter Olympics - 02/12/2002 5:01 AM
Is anyone watching the Winter Olympics other than me? Today the men's halfpipe was fantastic to watch and the USAs sweep of all 3 medals was remarkable! The American, Kelly Clark (the women's halfpipe gold medal winner) did a superb job yesterday too. smile

If you are watching them... what's your favorite event?
Posted By: BloggerMan Re: Winter Olympics - 02/12/2002 5:59 AM
I haven't really been watching them at all, but they sound exciting. Channel 4? I'll probably tune in.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Winter Olympics - 02/12/2002 7:24 AM
I watch the highlights since I can't be bothered waiting for the good events to come on.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Winter Olympics - 02/12/2002 4:32 PM
I caught part of the Belarus/France Hockey game last night, followed by some exciting curling action!
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 12:33 AM
I hate curling, how boring. tipsy
I like the downhill. laugh
Posted By: Bookie Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 12:55 AM
Martin sure layed a whoppin' to the states in curling last nite. wink

I was hoping to see some Canadian metals in the snowboarding half-pipe, but the U.S did a fantastic job.

I wasn't too happy with the figure skating judging though, not that I watch figure skating or anything. wink
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 1:58 AM
They always rate people low, what do they expect from them? tipsy
Posted By: Bookie Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 2:07 AM
Actually it was just the Russian judges... They seemed to rate the Russian skaters awfully high, and they ended up getting gold. mad
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 2:19 AM
Hey Bookie, our American girls are gonna crush you guys in hockey! We beat you 8/8 times in exhibition games -- and it's your sport! smile
Posted By: navaho Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 2:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bookie:
Actually it was just the Russian judges... They seemed to rate the Russian skaters awfully high, and they ended up getting gold. mad

The Russian couple won because part of the judging is on originality and artistry. Almost every other couple has been using the same tired routine that they have been polishing on over and over again for months. These judges have seen the same couples doing the same routines for that whole time. My understanding is that the Russian couple, even though one of them slipped a bit, was rated higher because they actually were doing a new routine. That would make them the only couple to score originality points, wouldn't it?
Posted By: Bookie Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 4:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Jacob:
Hey Bookie, our American girls are gonna crush you guys in hockey! We beat you 8/8 times in exhibition games -- and it's your sport! smile

Yeah you may be true, looks like it's one good team the U.S has got there... beat Germany 10-0 I heard. 8/8 times... ouch, never realized that, we'll see when the time comes. wink

But our men's hockey team will dominate. (Hopefully) wink

Navaho - I guess originality does count for a good percentage of the mark, which is why it differences from the other sports. wink I guess I'm just used of other sports where the marks are on the moves executed, and landing and such. I just enjoyed a few of the other performances more than the one that got the gold.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 4:27 AM
quote:

Yeah I noticed that too. What a coincodence. mad
Posted By: Jamin Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 4:41 AM
Stupid Olympics got in the way of my Saturday Night Live. For this, they will never be forgiven. tipsy

---Jamin
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Winter Olympics - 02/13/2002 4:20 PM
quote:
[QUOTE]But our men's hockey team will dominate. (Hopefully) wink

When was the last time Canada won Olympic Gold?

Granted, it's only recently that NHL players are involved. Although people still are surprised at how the Czechs have dominated international competition the last few years.

The truly scary thing is that the Detroit Red Wings have 10 Olympians. That's nearly half of the team.

I've caught some of the prelim action, but can't wait for the heavy-weight round to start.

-Tacks
Posted By: Bookie Re: Winter Olympics - 02/14/2002 2:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tackaberry:
When was the last time Canada won Olympic Gold?

Hey... come on, I just have high hopes. tipsy wink

Our womens team beat Russia today 7-0 with 60 shots on the net! I was quite impressed, hopefully we can raise some competition with the U.S.A womens team... though they were 31-0 in their season. Very impressive. eek
Posted By: GlassRattler Re: Winter Olympics - 02/16/2002 10:18 PM
quote:
But our men's hockey team will dominate. (Hopefully)
Bookie what happened to the men's hockey team confused 5-2 ?

Just kidding Sweden has a pretty tough team, I thougth Team Canada looked very flat.
Posted By: Bookie Re: Winter Olympics - 02/16/2002 10:34 PM
Yeah I watched that game with disappointment last night. frown But atleast our figure skaters got their gold! smile
Posted By: aleina Re: Winter Olympics - 02/16/2002 10:54 PM
That was some game Sweden-Canada!! One of our best games ever laugh Bookie, you might get your revenge in the womens tournament; our team is not that good wink

aleina
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Winter Olympics - 02/20/2002 5:59 PM
The money round starts today for Men's Hockey. I'm liking that either the Czechs or the Russians will be eliminated after today. Canada might think they were luckier drawing the Finns, but they have been playing quite well. The US should outmatch Germany, as well as the Swedes getting by Belarus.

As for the women's final---US v. Canada, what more could you ask for.
Posted By: aleina Re: Winter Olympics - 02/20/2002 10:18 PM
Tacks, let me the the first to say I'm ashamed of being a Swede... We suck! Although it might give you an easier way to the finals wink
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Winter Olympics - 02/20/2002 10:30 PM
Wow, I wish I could have watched that game, what an upset. Unfortunately I'm stuck behind my desk at work.

I'll definitely have to cut out a little early to get home for the US/Germany match.

I think the winner takes on the winner of Czech/Russia. Belarus gets the winner of Canada/Finland in the other semi.

Sweden would have been a much different and more dangerous team with Forsberg healthy.
Posted By: aleina Re: Winter Olympics - 02/20/2002 11:03 PM
He.. interview with a Belarus player, he plays in the Swedish league. He says they had already booked the plane tickets for tomorrow! Guess they have to change those LOL

You know, I'd rather be stuck at work than watching this.......... bleech...
Posted By: Bookie Re: Winter Olympics - 02/22/2002 6:23 AM
Canada womens beat U.S for the GOLD!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh

Wow... that was unbelivable! laugh
Posted By: BloggerMan Re: Winter Olympics - 02/22/2002 7:29 AM
The Olympics are going on? What the...

... No, I'm kidding. But I'm not watching them, just sort-of hearing news from "Viewers like You!" (I say that all the time, it's funny).

So, who's winning overall?
© UBB.Developers