UBB.Dev
Posted By: Charles OpenOffice 1.0 released !! - 05/02/2002 5:20 PM
OK people you can throw your warez copy of MS Office away laugh

Open Office has been released wink

http://www.openoffice.org/
Posted By: Jamin Re: OpenOffice 1.0 released !! - 05/02/2002 5:49 PM
I'm rather attached to Word, but I'll give it a shot. smile Download is going really freakin' slow tho.

---Jamin
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: OpenOffice 1.0 released !! - 05/02/2002 8:31 PM
w00t no more long warez downloads and trips to crack sites Oo j/k j/k, hmm looks like it might be wrotht he download
Posted By: Shinju Re: OpenOffice 1.0 released !! - 05/03/2002 4:48 AM
for a very limited time (until bandwidth forces me to remove it) it is at: ftp://64.246.25.16/openoffice/OOo_1.0.0_Win32Intel_install.zip

MUCH faster than the downloads they offer. I only have the english version and the server is in texas.
Posted By: Shinju Re: OpenOffice 1.0 released !! - 05/03/2002 5:06 PM
guess it'll be up a little longer than i thought, not many downloads.
Posted By: Jamin Re: OpenOffice 1.0 released !! - 05/03/2002 9:47 PM
Hehe, Shinju, I wish I woulda known your d/l location before I downloaded it from their servers yesterday. Took me for-freakin-ever.

I've been playing with this stuff... Word was primarily the only Office component I ever use with any regularity, and I can already notice that "OpenOffice Writer" seems to take a lot longer to open than Word does. The program doesn't seem all that stable either, as just writing one research paper today somehow caused two crashes. Its auto-save/restoration thing does work a good bit better than Word's though: it seems to catch itself right before it crashes long enough to save your work at that particular moment, unlike Word's which only saves every 5 or so minutes. But if it can catch itself long enough to do that, I wonder why it can't just avoid the crash altogether.

I'll try to play with the other programs too and let you all know how they compare to their Office counterparts, if anyone's interested. smile

---Jamin
Posted By: Charles Re: OpenOffice 1.0 released !! - 05/03/2002 11:09 PM
since this is still version 1.0 we can expect a 1.1 with some bug fixes wink
Posted By: DJLunacy Re: OpenOffice 1.0 released !! - 05/06/2002 4:13 PM
Jamin in Office XP (not sure about 2000 but I am pretty sure that you can) you can change the auto-save feature in the options to auto-save every minute if you want.
Posted By: Shinju Re: OpenOffice 1.0 released !! - 05/06/2002 11:23 PM
I've only really used the html editor on this so far, and it's kind of annoying....

You have to save it each time you switch from graphical to code view. Very annoying since I switch back and forth so often...
© UBB.Developers