UBB.Dev
Posted By: Durango Routers - 06/11/2002 4:59 AM
I hate routers. Ever since we got our Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router, occasional files would come in corrupt (images over AIM, bad CRCs in zip files, etc). Usually just resetting the router would fix this. Now, ever since I reformatted my comp almost EVERY zip or exe file I download is somehow corrupt, even after a reboot>modem reset>router reset. frown

I was thinking about taking the router out all together (don't need it anymore since my old comp is in dozens of pieces on the table) but I dunno how to reconfigure everything if I do.

Anyone else ever had this problem and know a solution? confused
Posted By: DJLunacy Re: Routers - 06/11/2002 5:39 AM
Huh I have never had that problem before. I used to use a Linksys Router/Hub for a network when i used to live with my x-friend we had 3 computers and a laptop hooked up to the network and I rarely had problems with corrupted downloads.

What version of windows are you running and do you have cable modem or DSL?
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: Routers - 06/11/2002 8:06 AM
The only time I have seen somethig like this is when you have your servers MTU mismatched with your connection. (i.e. DSL's MTU = 1490 or 1492 in most cases)
Posted By: navaho Re: Routers - 06/11/2002 8:43 AM
Mark is running one of those with no such problems. Maybe you have a bad one?
Posted By: Durango Re: Routers - 06/11/2002 1:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DJLunacy:

What version of windows are you running and do you have cable modem or DSL?

Win XP Home & Cable modem.

quote:
Originally posted by navaho.coffee:

Maybe you have a bad one?

I hope not [Linked Image]
Posted By: DJLunacy Re: Routers - 06/11/2002 7:31 PM
I was gonna suggest an MTU issue but figured it was cable modem. Yeah I am not sure what to tell you
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: Routers - 06/12/2002 1:26 AM
Did some research on this issue.

1) Reset the router
2) Download new firmware when the router is back on.
3) Power off/on the cable modem
4) When it is back on, upgrade the firmware of the router and check the configuration of the router.

Hope this helps!

(God i feel like i'm replying to someone i work for...)
Posted By: Durango Re: Routers - 06/12/2002 4:21 AM
lol. Thanks Greg, I'll try all that. Funny though, so far today nothing I've downloaded was corrupted. Even liveupdate on norton worked for once...
Posted By: RandyM Re: Routers - 06/12/2002 4:28 AM
It is always a good idea to check for firmware upgrades. I use the Linksys as do a lot of my clients and friends and this is the first I've heard of a problem like this.
Posted By: Durango Re: Routers - 06/14/2002 6:16 PM
yea, it's been doing fine since I updated firmware. thanks guys!
© UBB.Developers