UBB.Dev
Posted By: Jonny Bravo have we outgrown UBB? - 07/17/2002 7:30 PM
we have almost 10,000 members now, and we have between 400 and 600 members on at the same time for most of the day

needless to say the board is getting real sluggish frown

so is it time to move to VBulletin or similar? I have been a loyal UBB er for 4 years now
Posted By: LK Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/17/2002 7:37 PM
The site loads very fast, I suggest you to stick with UBB until your host 'makes' you change to another BBS. When that will happen (it will happen sometime for sure wink ), UBBDev's official recommendation is UBBThreads. If you don't like its look, Allen, Philipp & Co. made a template that looks exactly like UBB. smile

Info about UBBThreads: http://www.infopop.com/products/ubbthreads/

UBB.classic-Template: register to www.ubbdev.com and visit Templates forum.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/17/2002 7:43 PM
If you cut your pntf down to 10-15 minutes you should see a noticeable improvement in forum speed smile

If you decide to move to another forum software, there's a lot of nice work being done with ubb.threads and the portal built by JustDave, you can see it on our front page here:

https://ubbdev.com

There's also some nice integration with photopost being done by their developer that would be a natural fit on your site, an example can be found here:
http://www.extremebikini.com/ebti/forums/ubbthreads.php
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/17/2002 7:45 PM
oh yeahm working on a ubbskin here:

http://stand318.com/test/ubbcgi/ubbthreads.php

It's available in our templates forum
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/17/2002 10:04 PM
Sorry, but if he has a busy forum, moving from an Infopop product to another INFOPOP product is a MUCH better idea.

[edit] Missed a word.
Posted By: LK Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/17/2002 10:09 PM
Can you explain why?
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/17/2002 11:33 PM
Sorry! I updated my post. I said:
Moving from an infopop product to another INFOPOP product is a much better idea. My bad. wink
Posted By: LK Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:03 AM
Take the following into consideration:
Both UBBT and vB have a UBB-ish skin, downloadable from their forums (threadsdev and vb.com). UBBT has many users from here, such as Allen. Many vB threads bash UBB because we're using flat files, and usually vB.com/org admins join the bashing. vBulletin has some (more than 1) hacks that you gotta PAY to use, while in UBBThreads everything is free, however UBBT doesn't have these hacks that you gotta pay for in vB. Many databases crashed from vB, while UBBT had only single cases of crashing dbs. UBBT has 24/7/365(366 once per 4 years) support, including chat in the mornings and afternoons. vB has a bigger database of hacks and users.

Not bashing, just stating the facts and rumors. tipsy
Posted By: dende Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:12 AM
Only one hack that I know of costs money, and that is the karma hack and even if everything in UBBT is free, the free hacks at vbulletin.org outnumber UBBT's hacks by a bundle. I don't think it's fair to bash the admins there because of their age (I am sure they are not fifteen).

Please let's not fight about these things again. frown
Posted By: LK Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:21 AM
I edited my post
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Can you explain why?

Because Infopop's support is superior to any other forum software maker's, period. UBB.Threads kicks butt and is only gonna get better. As a member of the threads and threadsdev community, you'll have a chance to be a great influence on the direction of .threads development.

You see while the other boards are doing no more then what they have to do to mimic IP they are doing what IP's customers want. They are not handcuffed by "that's how Infopop does it so that's how we have to do it".

Comparing something like # of hacks in the dev communities is pointless, they've been around much longer than we have. If they have 300 mods and you use 7, what's the point? We develop what is needed and asked for, not a mindless number of align="center" type mods. If you have members from other countries, or at least plan to expand in that direction, the language-support of threads is unsurpassed by anyone.
Posted By: Travis Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Many vB threads bash UBB because we're using flat files, and usually vB.com/org admins join the bashing

Every post? C'mon. UBB bashes vB as much as vB bashes UBB. There's never going to be any difference.

quote:
Originally posted by LK:
vBulletin has some (more than 1) hacks that you gotta PAY to use, while in UBBThreads everything is free

Not really.... Sure, it has hacks that you have to pay for, but what you neglected to mention was the fact of the hundred of hacks it does offer... for free.

quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Many databases crashed from vB, while UBBT had only single cases of crashing dbs.

I will agree with you on this one, however. I do get lots of errors reported on the database (they are sent automatically), and I'm hoping that these will be fixed in vB3.

quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Some rumors say that vB sends your board's URL and your IP to vB admins ("call home"), to make sure you aren't a pirate.

If you aren't a pirate, then what do you have to worry about? I don't see the bad side of this feature.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents. Use what you want.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:23 AM
But i've seen vBulletins code, the code that handles mySQL, its not very well balanced.

I am NOT bias, if i liked vB better than UBB i'd tell you such. But i dislike vB which includes every reason LK states (not to mention vB.org using a style inwhich Cal created for ubbhackers without crediting cal). So, tweak ubb.classic, use ubb.threads (import is smooth as a babies bottom).
Posted By: LK Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:26 AM
Travis, I edited my post and almost everything you quoted was removed wink but there ARE very young admins anyhow.

And what you said in the first quote is not true. They bash everytime they say something about flat files, memory, crash, CPU, search, even if the original topic has nothing to do with UBB. tipsy
Posted By: Deb Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:27 AM
Ya know, I absolutely hate closed threads. I have never closed a thread here to date but I really hate where these posts lead. Members that tout the advantages of other products are bound to ruffle some feathers here.

This site supports UBB.classicâ„¢. If you want to give alternatives that is one thing but then let the original poster delve into those products, explore the options and decide for themselves. Details are NOT necessary.

Infopop has been around the longest, has alternatives for users and gives super support to anyone that is having problems.
Posted By: LK Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Can you explain why?

Because Infopop's support is superior to any other forum software maker's, period. UBB.Threads kicks butt and is only gonna get better. As a member of the threads and threadsdev community, you'll have a chance to be a great influence on the direction of .threads development.

You see while the other boards are doing no more then what they have to do to mimic IP they are doing what IP's customers want. They are not handcuffed by "that's how Infopop does it so that's how we have to do it".

Comparing something like # of hacks in the dev communities is pointless, they've been around much longer than we have. If they have 300 mods and you use 7, what's the point? We develop what is needed and asked for, not a mindless number of align="center" type mods. If you have members from other countries, or at least plan to expand in that direction, the language-support of threads is unsurpassed by anyone.

When I asked that question, Greg said that it's better to move from an Infopop product to another product, he forgot the word 'Infopop' after 'another' wink

I agree with Deb, if you want me to edit something I will tipsy
Posted By: Travis Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
And what you said in the first quote is not true. They bash everytime they say something about flat files, memory, crash, CPU, search, even if the original topic has nothing to do with UBB. tipsy

Ah, but the way you said it, made it sound like they bashed UBB everytime they posted.

I was just being picky. laugh

And for the sake of Deb's desires of not closing a thread, I am not saying vB is better. Just providing some points. I still love UBB, and use it everyday on another server. Nothing will ever take the place of the feel of a UBB (as I have been trying to accomplish this with a vB for a few months now, and have yet to accomplish it).
Posted By: dende Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:33 AM
Oops, looks like we posted at about the same time, Deb. I agree with everything you said. smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: have we outgrown UBB? - 07/18/2002 12:38 AM
As per usual, we are closing this thread. People cannot understand why we would say good things about a product that we support, and this makes them feel the need to bash it.

I am pretty sure Johnny is smart enough to visit those other sites without any of your help. Our presenting a case for threads in which a lot of us run/support I would think would be understandable.
© UBB.Developers