UBB.Dev
Posted By: Pyros AMD vs Intel - 08/02/2002 6:28 AM
Hey ya'll,

I was just wondering on your thoughts about this AMD VS Intel race. What do you guys think is a better processor at the moment for gaming. Currently Intel has a 2.53 ghz processor, while AMD hasn't even hit 2ghz yet (1.8 I believe they are at, correct me if I'm wrong however).

Many of you may say, well obviously Intel is better as has been proven in numerous benchmarks. However there have been several claims (I'm a gamer, and I know alot of people with "Beast" machines) who say that they are able to get better performance out of their AMD XP 1900+ instead of the p4 2.53 ghz machine (which does have a higher FSB).

Anyways, feel free to post your comments.

Cya guys around,
Pyros

PS - Allen you are one hell of a machine still posting and all. Great work! ...I'm still playing Quake 3 smile
Posted By: Mark Badolato Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/02/2002 7:28 AM
The megahertz doesn't matter, which is why AMD switched to a different scheme. Currently the highest AMD is the 2200+ which means its comparable, if not better than then competitions 2.2Ghz chips. A lot of benchmarks out there show Athlon kicking lots of ass on Intel chips. Check out Tom's Hardware and Arstechnica for reviews.

The AMD chips are stable, a lot cheaper, and quite good. I have quite a few AMD machines, and it will be hard to convince me to switch back to Intel. The Intel chips are way overpriced, and the P4's are only now starting to show promise...the intial p4's were quite buggy, which is why you see people perfering p3's at the same Ghz over their P4 counterparts.

AMD is a great solution. Try it, you'll like it.

--mark
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/02/2002 8:52 AM
This comp is an Intel but I'm sick of their processors and so I like AMD better now. tipsy
Posted By: tackaberry Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/02/2002 3:14 PM
Intel would seem to have the advantage in terms of being able to realize greater economies of scale and justify larger resources devoted to R&D, not to mention the ability to weather a price war.

That is part of the reason why AMD had to change their architecture. They could not win a horserace with Intel coming from behind.

It's the same with Apple/Motorola chips. They wouldn't be able to keep up unless they were doing something different.

The end result is that innovation is brought to the marketplace which benefits the consumer. Since they are now "different" chips, the benchmarking is a bit more construed...what is better in one test is not necessarily the better in another, and clockspeed has become less of an issue because its apples/oranges.

Processors today are probably more powerful than the 'average' user requires. However, if you have specific needs and requirements, pick the chips that rates best for those tasks.
Posted By: freak.scene Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/03/2002 1:07 AM
as a side note.....

AMD closed at a 52 week low today.

I just added a few of these babies to my portfolio laugh

time to buy kids tipsy
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/03/2002 2:56 AM
And I bet Intel is 0wning them in the market...
Posted By: richardk Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/03/2002 4:40 AM
AMD is trying doing the same thing that Cyrix tried to do in the past. It's a gimick to try and get people to buy their sub-par products. This 2200+ rating crap is just a ploy. They can't keep up with Intel, and will try anything and everything to try and sell their products. I would personally never use a sub-par processor such as AMD. You may think it's a good deal because of the price, but in the end, you'll kick yourself in the ass for trying to save some money instead of buying a reliable, trusted processor such as Intel's. I never skimp when it comes to CPUs.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/03/2002 5:18 AM
... Uh, they use that naming scheme for a good reason. The clock speed is slower, but the performance is better.

The only reason that they need to resort to this is because consumers are brainwashed to think more MHz -> more speed.

Let's take Scriptkeeper for example. It's powered by two Sparc chips running at 50 MHz. It has the equiv power of a P150 or so. It is "slower", yet faster.

I fail to see how this correlates to quality...

I've used and owned both Cyrix and AMD systems in the past, and my next machine will probably be based around an AMD. I have not seen any evidence that either of the alternatives was lower quality.

In my experience, it's the quality of the motherboard and memory that matter more than the processor.
Posted By: RandyM Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/03/2002 10:38 PM
I use Xeons and soon will be using Itaniums on the job. They are the only choice for high end server computing outside of Alpha and Sun of course. They have the cache and other options that server apps require. The P4 has advantages for certain functions but overall when you compare price, function and speed AMD is a fantastic choice for personal computing.

On a side note I have a 16 processor (700 MHz 2meg cache Xeons) Windows 2000 Advanced Server/SQL 2000 Enterprise Active/Active cluster with 8 gig of ram and 4 shelves of 36 gig Ultra 3 SCSI drives attached via gigabit fiber channel that I designed, built and manage. There are some things that AMD may never do as well as Intel but not many people have this setup at home. AMD is the logical choice in home computing right now.
Posted By: Dave2 Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/04/2002 5:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TheX:
...but not many people have this setup at home.
Now that's am understatement if I've ever seen one tipsy .
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/04/2002 7:54 PM
What? You mean everyone DOESN'T have an enterprise class server in their basement hooked up to OC48 connections? wow.
Posted By: RandyM Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/04/2002 11:24 PM
Okay, it's not in my house obviously..hahaha, it's in the cage at Exodus that I seem to spend most of my waking time at.
Posted By: JB007 Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/07/2002 9:25 PM
Um ... what can I say? Hello every1! The name's Bond .. James Bond w/o a UBB license nor Perl experience ( currently learning again from Programming Perl tipsy ).

AMD is the best when it comes to price/performance ratio. Their Arch. is far superior to Intel's but it lacks the speed and the cache memory.

AMD Palomino can do 9 IPC ( Intructions Per Cycle ) while Intel Northwood is capable of doing 6 IPC only.

Simple math:
Athlon XP @ 1.5 GHz = 1.5 * 9 = 13.5
Pentium 4 @ 2 GHz = 2 * 6 = 12
tipsy

Anyway, the ClawHammer should blow up everything. And it will have intruction sets desinged specifically for UBB.Classic.
Posted By: LK Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/07/2002 9:52 PM
Hey JB, ltns!
quote:
nor Perl experience
Aren't you the one who made hit hack 4.0? tipsy

Edit: oh, and I use Intel... dunno why, but I use it tipsy
Posted By: JB007 Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/07/2002 9:54 PM
Yeah, but I didn't do website/perl programming for almost a year now. tipsy
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/07/2002 9:58 PM
Hey JB smile

quote:
Originally posted by Pyros:
PS - Allen you are one hell of a machine still posting and all. Great work! ...I'm still playing Quake 3 smile
Hey Pyros smile

Yeah, I have no life smile
Posted By: JB007 Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/08/2002 4:38 PM
Hello Allen! How's it going! smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/08/2002 7:17 PM
smile Not too bad... just hanging around, writing, Astros games, the usual. smile How's your summer been?
Posted By: JB007 Re: AMD vs Intel - 08/09/2002 4:41 AM
I have graduated from the high school.
Now, I'm waiting for my TOEFL scores to be released so that I can apply for one of the U.S. Universities. ( comming to you laugh laugh )
© UBB.Developers