UBB.Dev
Posted By: ADWOFF E-mail ? - 11/14/2002 12:57 AM
Okay, okay ... I know I haven't posted in like forever (life has a way of happening), but it's pretty rude to be posting a new topic & be told that the board has been shut down due to server overload! tipsy

Okay ... where was I? laugh

I have a situation where I need to know if someone has received her e-mail.

The sender has an AOL account; the receiver does not.

Is there any way of determining if the receiver has received the e-mail?

I ask because this is an important (and sensitive) issue.

Thanks!
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: E-mail ? - 11/14/2002 12:58 AM
I agree. BAD UBB! Bad UBB!
Not unless the sender requested a read receipt.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: E-mail ? - 11/14/2002 1:24 AM
We're hosted for free on a busy server that supports some critical ubb.x sites, we shut ourselves down when server load jumps to help when possible. They have taken some steps this am to relieve some of that load, turns out some hardware (memory) died and needed replacement.

Anyways... Hi Sue smile
Posted By: navaho Re: E-mail ? - 11/14/2002 1:46 AM
Sue not unless the sender requested a read reciept and the recipient didn't trap it from returning. Also if it was an html mail (with an inlined image) you can check the server logs and see if that image was accessed or not. lastly, you could try to get a record of the server logs from the recipient's host and see if they downloaded that piece of mail from the mail server but the chance of actually getting that log is closer to none then it is to slim.

We'll be moving a few more services from this server this coming weekend to help prevent the overload closed messages, FYI.
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: E-mail ? - 11/20/2002 3:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
We're hosted for free on a busy server that supports some critical ubb.x sites, we shut ourselves down when server load jumps to help when possible. They have taken some steps this am to relieve some of that load, turns out some hardware (memory) died and needed replacement.

Anyways... Hi Sue smile
Ah! So that's the reason the board was funky. tipsy

Thanks, Greg, Allen, and NC ...

Hi right back atcha, Allen!

We ended up finally hearing from the person we needed to contact; good to know a couple of the tricks to figuring out if mail was read.
© UBB.Developers