UBB.Dev
Posted By: catcherman The best way to upgrade - 01/30/2003 9:30 PM
For the first time I have a board with lots of mod goodies and I'm wanting to upgrade my UBB to the newest version.

Conceptually speaking - what's the best plan of attack to make sure I don't have to re-hack all the files and de-bug, etc. Is it just a matter of fact or is there a way to do it that's low hassle?

How do you do it?
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/30/2003 9:36 PM
For minor upgrades, BeyondCompare is the best tool... for major upgrades (say, 6.3.0 to 6.4.0), some things have to be rehacked due to so much code change...
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 2:37 AM
My method of upgrading to any version is somewhat unorthodox...I do everything from scratch. It's the only way if you want it just right. laugh I guess I wasn't much help here. LOL.
Posted By: RandyM Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 6:54 AM
I use Beyond Compare with great luck. I do complete rebuilds when I'm really tired of whatever look is there now but for minor upgrades it's BC everytime.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 12:04 PM
Same as TheX, Beyond Compare and just hope it goes smootly. Good tool that is.
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 12:06 PM
I guess I'm all alone here. LOL. laugh
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 12:07 PM
I used to do that until I got used to Beyond Compare, or just sometimes skip little versions.
Posted By: catcherman Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 8:29 PM
What do you do with Beyone Compare? I know it analyzes old files and new files and tells you what's different, but how do you know what to change? How do you know which changes come from the upgrade and which ones are from your mods?

PrimeTime, I think you do what you're most comfortable with. There's nothing wrong with that if that's what you like to do.
Posted By: Brett Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 8:33 PM
I'm gonna have to go with PrimeTime here. It's not that i don't trust the software, it's just.. ya know.. wink
Posted By: RandyM Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 8:33 PM
I take the virgin files from the version of UBB I'm running and compare them to the virgin files from the version I'm upgrading to. I apply the difference to the files on my production board.

Once you play around with it for a bit you'll find that it is really quick.
Posted By: catcherman Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 8:49 PM
I see, X. You do two rounds?
Posted By: Dave2 Re: The best way to upgrade - 01/31/2003 10:34 PM
You compare w/ unmodified files, then edit the real files...or at least, that's how I used to do it.
Posted By: catcherman Re: The best way to upgrade - 02/05/2003 12:43 AM
Seems I'm going to have to do it the PrimeTime way. Every file from version 6.3 to 6.4 has been changed.

I really don't see how I would do it with Beyond Compare.
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: The best way to upgrade - 02/05/2003 3:11 AM
It can be a burden BUT what I found out for every upgrade that I've done I feel somewhat energized. I look forward to each new version and take the opportunity to try something different from my last design. It's all about the creative process.

If you are able to, do your upgrade on a testing board. Apply all of your function and template hacks. When you are satisfied with your results, upload the upgrade (default UBB) files to your open board, then right after upload your hacked files. Your upgrade with the hacked files in one try. This way your users won't be disrupted by the process. smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: The best way to upgrade - 02/05/2003 4:03 AM
For major upgrades I start fresh... it's a good way to clean out unused 'features/mods' added in previous versions (we've all added something we thought was cool only to see it fall flat or conflict with something else) and streamline future small upgrades. It's much easier to Beyond Compare a 6.4 - 6.4.0.1 update if you started fresh with 6.4 smile
© UBB.Developers