UBB.Dev
Posted By: AllenAyres Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/07/2003 7:44 AM
Yahoo rolls out revamped search features

'Internet media company Yahoo Inc., faced with stiff competition in the search arena, in some cases from its own partners, Monday unveiled a revamped set of products intended to meet the challenges that lie ahead.'

Google is eating their lunch tipsy
Posted By: CTM Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/07/2003 6:26 PM
I've gotta say, Yahoo is just Google with too many unnecessary "features"... tipsy
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/08/2003 2:57 AM
Agreed...
Posted By: navaho Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/08/2003 3:26 AM
Ok, here's the deal. I go to yahoo.com and it's filled with ads, a bazillion links I don't need/want, and there is a search box buried up top, hiding in the midst of the noise and clutter. Searching is not the first thing my eye is drawn to on that page.

When I goto google.com I see just a search box and 5 places to search from. Searching is the only thing to do on that page.

Now, where you gonna go when you need to find something? A circus, or a search engine?
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/08/2003 8:23 AM
I have a search bar that we coded into a chat program, so to search I just click search and type what i want :x...
Great post David! I'm going to steal that circus line. smile
Posted By: CTM Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/08/2003 9:23 PM
Nice one, Dave smile

I also don't like the way Yahoo tries to take over your life with an Address Book, Calendar, a personal assistant, an instant messenger, ANOTHER E-Mail account... Agh! *Scared*

Okay, I've said enough. Fact is, Yahoo is based on Google anyway, it's just that Yahoo want to turn themselves into a really popular portal, which will probably never happen (they were down last quarter)...
Posted By: Dave2 Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/08/2003 10:50 PM
I use a combination of Google and AllTheWeb (don't want to give google too much power, ATW often returns more relevent results than Google).

Oh, and navaho.codered (mmm...nicks): try search.yahoo.com
Google is right at the top of my Safari browser laugh

Never use Yahoo! for searching. Although I do visit them for news and the occassional stock quote (although I use Sherlock/Watson for that on the Macs).

I used to occassionally search DogPile, as it would crawl several search engines.
Posted By: navaho Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/09/2003 8:49 PM
Dave, search.yahoo.com is exactly what I'm talking about. That should be their main page if they want to be used primarily as search engine.

If they want to be primarily a portal/circus/confused mess then what they have is fine.

I've been reading where all of the financial propellorheads are writing articles predicting that google, if it ever went public, would restart the internet trading boom. Google itself is in no rush to ever go public, nor should they be.

Yahoo, in contrast, set an all time low in stock price 3rd qtr last year. 4th was marginally better. 1st qtr this year is gaining again.

This reinforces in me that yahoo's model doesn't work as well, which makes me feel all the stronger that search.yahoo.com should be the main page and the rest of the trash should go bye bye.
Posted By: Dave2 Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/09/2003 9:46 PM
Ah, I see, I thought you meant that searching via Yahoo! was always too cluttered...
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/09/2003 10:12 PM
Yahoo! has been trying to reinvent themselves as well as reinvent their biz model.

After suffering through the advert downturn, they are looking for new revenue streams from commercialization of their site, partnering and premium services.

The great thing about the internet is that you can always find another site which can meet your needs, unless of course your site has proprietary content. Of course, its only a matter of time before your content shows up somewhere else anyway.

If anything, it shows us that in order to succeed, one needs to have differentiated content and technology. Content or technology that is easily commoditized offers minimal value, and marketability of your brand name is tied to user retention.

laugh

Well good luck to them anyway. I'm sure all those Stanford types will figure something out eventually.
Posted By: CTM Re: Yahoo rolls out revamped search features - 04/09/2003 10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by navaho.codered:
This reinforces in me that yahoo's model doesn't work as well, which makes me feel all the stronger that search.yahoo.com should be the main page and the rest of the trash should go bye bye.
The trouble is, Yahoo search engines are based completely on Google technology, which means that if Yahoo were to get rid of the crap, it'd basically be Google with a different name on the front...
From what it sounds like, Yahoo is looking to shift away from using Gooooooooooogle as their search engine. Regardless, searching the internet is still not always an easy thing to do. There is too much clutter to cut through and you're reliant on your destination site having registered at that search engine, as well as site programmers designing their sites in order to boost their search rankings.
© UBB.Developers