UBB.Dev
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Buying your own server? - 06/12/2003 4:09 AM
I am interested in buying and maintaining my own server, but I am dumbfounded when it comes to servers.. So I was wondeirng if anyone had any good ideas on what a good, yet cheap and reliable server would be..

--rob
Posted By: cal Re: Buying your own server? - 06/13/2003 10:37 AM
if you don't know alot about servers, then can i ask why you want to buy and maintain your own? much better to rent one from a colo shop to get the feel of it. assuming you mean web server and not file server, mp3 server, etc.
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Re: Buying your own server? - 06/13/2003 5:26 PM
I know alot of servers. I don't know alot about buying servers.. I have worked on servers as part of my job so I'm pretty good with them. I just never have bought one or known exactly which is the best and so forth.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Buying your own server? - 06/13/2003 5:50 PM
Yes, but what do you intend to do with it?

The answer you seek is dependant on the question you ask.
Posted By: LK Re: Buying your own server? - 06/13/2003 6:40 PM
Hi cal and kal laugh (and happy birthday technikal)
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: Buying your own server? - 06/13/2003 7:00 PM
There is nothing extrodanrily different between a server and a PC/Workstation other then the hardware is more robust since it is meant to be operational 24/7 and lacks user amnemities (i.e. sound).

Remember you get what you pay for.

Personaly I am a Compaq fan when it comes to servers. You can find relatively good deals up on ebay.
Posted By: tackaberry Re: Buying your own server? - 06/14/2003 6:41 AM
Compaq? oh...you must mean H-P wink
Posted By: CTM Re: Buying your own server? - 06/15/2003 1:50 AM
Happy birthday Tech laugh

My web server is basically another machine on my network running Apache/MySQL, minus speakers and other useless stuff... Getting an older PC and buying new components for it would be a good start if you were running low on "funds", I guess. smile
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Re: Buying your own server? - 06/15/2003 2:47 AM
Well, it's mostly to run LAN parties and have lots of people access a main computer where alot of file updates are and such.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Buying your own server? - 06/15/2003 7:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tackaberry:
Compaq? oh...you must mean H-P wink
Good god, what happened to my Compaq Proliants? I happen to love the new HP servers that are built on the Proliant framework but the support has gone to crap.

Compaq is a rock solid server and there are a lot of deals to be had.
Posted By: JohnM Re: Buying your own server? - 06/21/2003 8:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tech-Ni-Kal:
Well, it's mostly to run LAN parties and have lots of people access a main computer where alot of file updates are and such.
If you're just using it on a LAN and for gaming etc, you may as well just go out and buy an entry-level PC, wipe the HD, and install Linux (or Windows 2000, etc). Doesn't need to be anything special to be a "server".
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Buying your own server? - 06/21/2003 9:49 AM
Hey John! How have you been? Whatcha doin now-a-days?
© UBB.Developers