Hey dave, I know what you mean. I have a nice 19" running a high res. and I do all my designs and work on that and forget what happens until I go to work and see it on our small monitors there.
I ran into a similar problem on this current site I'm working on, you can see it here:
www.broneah.comI designed it on my machine, so to me it looked normal. Well, when you start stacking images horizontally if it gets too wide you eventually have the problem you mentioned, which I did not notice at the time. But I think I have the site updated now so it will work at any resolution. You can try it by draging the corner of your browser window and seeing it at various sizes and it looks good under almost all sizes

But yeah, its something I think a lot of people overlook
