[]One thing to note though, there is no *real* instant messaging available via php/perl or any other server side scripting language as far as I know. Like any IM out there there needs to be an application that users have loaded on their computer that sits idle, connected to a stand alone server allowing other users that are connected in the same manor to pass information from one to another. The server simply relays the information and the users IM application "pops up" or "chimes" or what ever to let the person know they have a message. This sort of feature is simply not going to happen via a script on a web server. There are such clients/servers out there, well only one that I'm aware of,
http://www.jabber.org ? or something like that that could be set up for your instant messaging needs.
[/]
absolutely right.
in fact I have already set up a Jabber server and I'm loving it.
I've been meaning to ask Scream whether he would consider changing or expanding the use of the ICQ number field to accommodate Jabber Server and User Id fields.
since Jabber is open source it would make great sense to me to provide support for Jabber in UBBT.
thanks,