I haven't used server side includes in a long time now since moving to php. I will be using cache with the calendar though since events are not something that's constantly being posted.
RSS is a simplified way of syndication. The link I found most usefull would be this one:
http://backend.userland.com/rssRSS is not a two way road though. The content provider produces the RSS feed. Other sites pull the feed in and cache (well they should cache) the information and display it with a parsing script to give the feed it's layout. I do have both the ability to generate the feed and to parse external feeds up and working, just not in use. I will be extending this ability to public boards so other sites could be allowed to pull board feeds in and display them elsewhere. I haven't seen it done but I don't see why an entire calendar couldn't be made into an RSS feed... but this isn't something I intend on doing... lol One is probably better off to generate a static calendar page and allow other sites to pull that page in for their own displays. (provided their php setup allows for the opening of files via their URL)

I will be adding Allen's suggestion for the title attribute to truncated subjects. Thanks Allen

The way my calendar is layed out may just work for you as far as the display issues go. Empty cells are governed by a template in which you can adjust the number of blank lines being displayed. Cells with events replace this and provided that there is at least one empty cell in the row they should all keep the same height untill the events go beyond the empty cell's height.
