Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sorry about the title, you'll just have to bear with me so I can explain the problem.

Just a little background info - I currently run what's known as a fantasy wrestling site where people produce stories for their individual personality. I'm also using Poser 4 (a 3d character rendering program) to develop individual pictures for each person. We use UBB 5.47, although we'll likely upgrade to the beta 6 soon and are running on a unix server with full Perl 5 and all the trimmings.

What I want to do is this: on my main page have an image section that works as follows -

1. Checks the last five posts in the roleplay UBB.
2. Compares the names of those posts with poser pictures in a database.
3. Takes the a specific picture, based on the order in which the posts fall
4. Posts the images, side by side, with links to those individual threads.

I know that sounds like a lot, so here's an example.

I have characters 1 through 5. All of them are new posts. The CGI would see the latest post (character 1) then draw out the picture that is related to his post being the first one, and post it with the link on the main page.

Now, I've been screwing around with some random banner link perl programs and trying to see how slash ubb is implemented, but I'm just drawing a blank.

I'm familiar with perl and C++, so I don't need anyone to program for me, but if you have any ideas as to how I can go about this or other perl programs I could take a look at to get a general idea, I would be in your debt! smile

I appreciate any help you can send my way. Thanks guys!

-Frank Esposito

Sponsored Links
whats the url to your (e-wrestling talk)e-fed, you got many members, regular rp'ers? Anyways, I might be able to help you, but, allen or mark would be better bets. if they ndont reply within a couple of days i will surely try and help you

Actually, at the moment I'm just redeveloping our site and am in the process of purchasing a new domain name, etc, etc. I was hoping that I could get this response a proactively so I knew what to do when I had my real server up.

Our group is called TPW - we have a real good group of guys that follow us. If you send me an e-mail, I'll put you on my list of people to notify when I get everything set up again.

sure thing, its [email protected] , i might be able to get you hosted for nothing (in return for a 470*68 banner ad, i work for a hosting company that works like this) chekc out http://www.totaln.com if we think your site is good enough we will buy your domain name and provide you with space etc etc

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849