Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#103089 08/11/2001 4:38 AM
combined with CGI/Perl, which database do you prefer and why?

and why does Infopop use Oracle with UBB instead of SQL?

someone?!?

A man of understanding sets his face towards wisdom...
Sponsored Links
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
First because SQL is a language, not a database. There is SQL Server, which is microsoft's database. Tee hee.

Oracle is the big boy on the block. THE enterprise level, high performance, high powered database.

MySQL is a decent database for a lot of reading but will bog down with too many users, doing to many things. Plus, MySQL doesn't have transactions, stored procedures, sub-selects, rollbacks, and the myriad of features that true, enterprise level systems like Oracle have. Again, MySQL is a fine solution for a small to a smallish-medium sized site. Slashdot gets away with it because they have massive hardware, run multiple servers, etc.

PosgreSQL is starting to gain some ground, but I don't know if they've conquered the speed issues that people used to complain about. It's nice for small to medium size operations.

For what IP is doing with OpenTopic, there is no other way to go than with an enterprise solution like Oracle.

"Annnnnnnndd now, opening for Iron Maiden...... WYLD STALLYNS!!!" --Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore " Logan
hmmm... at least i got your point.

so you're trying to say that if the company is from a small to medium-sized bracket, mySQL is best than Oracle. am i right?

regarding speed, and with Perl, do you think a flat-file database is much faster than mySQL database? (if the company is from small to medium size)

thanks Mark!

Moderator / Developer
Moderator / Developer
im not 100% on the way their doing the dbs for OpenTopic, but oracle would definetly be the way to go for something on that scale. SQL so far as i know has yet been seen to efficiently handle large scale projects such as OpenTopic.

imo even vB is pushing the limits of SQL scalability. large vBs (5k members or more) can experiance a lot of db problems.

but still perl+sql is much faster than perl+flatfile, as dbs are just faster.

Developer
Developer
Gemini tables on NuSphere mySQL will handle more members/topics better with row-level locking in vBullinet (I better double check with Chris Schiber (sp??) on that one though).

OpenTopic uses Oracle.

qasic

Sponsored Links
now that im aware that Perl + mySQL is faster than Perl + flat-file DB, i think i should learn mySQL now before it's too late...

thanks guys!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63