Print Thread
Rate Thread
#103583 03/07/2002 3:00 PM
Is it possible to execute a Perl script linked in a HTML page? confused

Sponsored Links
#103584 03/07/2002 5:29 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
If your server has SSI enabled, it's easy...
[code][/code]

#103585 03/07/2002 7:23 PM
Oh ok. Thanks. smile

BTW how do I check to see if SSI is enabled? I have a Red Hat Linux server.

#103586 03/08/2002 12:27 AM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
quote:
Originally posted by Terminator_X:
BTW how do I check to see if SSI is enabled?

Try out what I said and tell me if it works or not. tipsy But honestly, the OS doesn't really make a difference; it's the server software that matters. If SSI isn't enabled on your server, I can tell you how to turn it on with either Apache or IIS.

#103587 03/08/2002 3:07 AM
Nope. Page comes out blank...

I don't think it's post to be that way. tipsy

Ok this is what I did. It has to do with RealPlayer EMBED and with this CGI Link LOG. I have it all set, just I have to link all video/audio links with this:

a href="/cgi-bin/LeechThis_pro.cgi?file&ext"

Of course it works, but not in a open.window OnClick JavaScript I have currently to open a certian size window without the browser menu.

I'm doing this because on the site I maintain, I'm going through too many copyright battles with others stealing my media files or linking them to their sites. Actions witch cost me bandwidth problems and fees. A issue that pisses me off since I pay for the fees, while they use my files as their own storage. My media files...

So I'm trying to install this CGI script so it can help me find those taking my stuff.

Only problem is I don't want to stop using the OnClick open.window script I'm using. Using a regular link will make it show on a regular browser window, one with the MENU showing. If the browser window has that MENU, then any rookie HTML user can just browse through taking the URL address to the RM RealPlayer files and download it. My file sructure is like this:

ASP -- cant.asp
audios (audios.php) -- subfolder (link.asp)

On the audio page it is linked to another file with the EXEC PERL link you provided in a subfolder.

I made a ASP folder with another file called "cant.asp". This is the FOLDER that is protected by the LeechThis_pro.cgi file. The page that has that Perl line will jump from their to the ASP folder. "cant.asp" is the main HTML page with the EMBED Real script. The folder was CHMOD to 711 to avoid anyone viewing the folder files. This is were I stored the audio/video EMBED Real web pages so no one can view the source codes, because they have the URL links to the true Stream folder were they are stored.

I know it looks I'm doing this the long hard way, just I can't allow those Real pages to be viewed.

Really their is nothing I can think of to make this easier and get this file working.

I know their are some CGI scripts out their that can scramble the HTML source code to not show at all and remove it if someone tries Save As... your website. But most are pay scripts and they charge too much.

Sponsored Links
#103588 03/09/2002 8:25 PM
*bumb*

Does anyone know a solution to this or you all have no idea what I'm talking about. tipsy

#103589 03/09/2002 10:34 PM
I'm not sure what you want to do.

If you want to control who can download files from your site, one way is to write a Perl script that reads a file from the server, and outputs it to the browser. The file being downloaded would be located in a directory outside the web document tree, so that the file cannot be downloaded except by using the script. The script could also require the user to provide his UBB login, etc.

Is that what you're talking about? If so, I can dig up an example.

#103590 03/10/2002 11:38 PM
Close, but it is post to not allow them to download.

These are RM RealPlayer files that are streamed from the site. I want to use some type of script that will not allow others to download the files

or

prevent other web sites from linking them.

Not really a problem with downloading. My main concern is stoping other sites from linking the files for their own use.

#103591 03/10/2002 11:56 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
quote:
Originally posted by Terminator_X:
prevent other web sites from linking them.

Why not use this ?

#103592 03/12/2002 4:05 PM
Thanks I tried it, but....

When I register it says:

Error detected:

No such account name

Odd since I got a confirmed e-mail message.
I tried three times, no luck.

Well I e-mailed the support staff. Maybe it's a script error on their side.

Sponsored Links
#103593 06/16/2002 1:32 AM
I had problems with bandwidth thiefs a while back and think that is what you are concerned with. I just put everything they wanted in a .htaccess protected area. So they stole it by getting a username and password and then put a working username and password into the link to my media. To deal with the bandwidth thieves, I wrote a script that gave out free username and passwords with a cookie based system. Then to get the streaming files, they used a link to the cgi file with the ?file=whatever.rm information to determine which file it was they were after. The cgi program would then read the cookie and rewrite the .htpassword file with the username established by the cookie.

The result being that the program would constantly rewrite the username but not change the password, and then print the location of the file.

Lets say you start with only one username Bubba with a password of password2.

Step one: Read cookie
Step two: Rewrite .htpassword file to contain only the requesting username and the password2 (overwritting Bubba's name).
Step three: print location http://name:[email protected]/protected_directory/whatever.rm

I know, I know, it is a major cluge but it worked when I still did streaming video on a free site. Would send you the script but I havent a clue where it is. Gave up on the whole free adult site idea.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63