Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#106246 05/01/2001 3:33 PM
I am having some trouble with banner rotation on my UBB - I was wondering how many of the other webmasters use banners on their forums. I am having some trouble with one of the FREE CGI banner rotaters. I placed the code according to the instructions in my FOOTER (ubb6) along with the rest of my code

Code
code:

but of course when I bring up my ubb and refresh it the ad banner doesnt appear. I am kinda new to this so I am not sure if this type of "Call" (if that is what this is) works with UBB. I know the program works since I can go to the URL in that execute statement and the ad banner works great.

Is there something on the server side or issue with UBB, and if issue with UBB what banner programs do any of you suggest?

Thanks to anyone for trying

[ May 01, 2001 03:36 PM: Message edited by: smoke_svx ]

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Template Diva
Moderator / Template Diva
I've never been able to get SSI to work in UBB. I've been told that it does work, but I've never done it. frown

I can only suggest using a javascript rotator or something. It is much more bulky and not quite as elegant, but it can get the job done when SSI won't work.

---Skorpion

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
I've had some JAVA script banner ads running before but now that I have a lot of banners I cant just insert a large amount of code into the BODY part of the templates. (That would make the site drag too bad frown ) I am not sure what else to do except maybe the code needs to be inserted into the UBB .CGI files themselves. I am not too good at modifying version 6 (still learning and have no idea what file does what anymore laugh ) but I just dont know what else to do except the Java ads.

thanks for the advice. I might post up in V6 mod suggestions on someone making a rotator.

hmmm ... silly thought ...

but most providers do not allow the #exec and you cannot use it. (due to security limitations)

try #include instead ... that might work.

on the other hand if it would be a classic html the extension would be shtml to parse the include/exec.

If it was a UBB5 you would need to change the file extension to shtml or the server to parse html files too (and a higher systemload)

Dunno how the cgi extension handles this ... didn't check it.

Best Regards and good luck ...

Knuff

I tried the include statement but it didnt work either. Oh well.. maybe someday I can figure it out. frown

I guess I might just create the Java banner code and save it on the server as a .JS file that is downloaded and cached on local machines, and have all the code for banners in there. That way I dont have 500+ lines of code on every single ubb page that is downloaded to users.

hmmm.. let you guys know what happens soon.

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If your thinkin of running banners to your site, ever thought of having it as a footer? I mean as in a frame at the bottom of your page, like macromedia has on their site.

that way you can run any form of cgi banner rota.

I personally hate them especially the pop-up type. On our site we decided to opt out on banner ads but oneday something may change our minds.

[ May 19, 2001 02:06 AM: Message edited by: UltraNEO* ]

hi, i use a java banner rotate on my board. it works very good! i wrote it in a js file cause it's getting large.

i had the problem with #exec on cgi too. it didnt work in other cgi filez (but in shtml filez). i dont know why!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
This is what I use...
put it in the header

Code
code:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63