Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Man, I feel like a retard asking this but can anybody tell me which file I am supposed to edit to add the css?

Any help at all would be great. (I won't mind if anybody calls me stupid).

Thanks goes to whoever helps me out.

[ April 06, 2001: Message edited by: Malakai ]

hello
Sponsored Links
you add it in your style settings dont you?

Umm... I think I tried that...

I need to know the files that I put the actual CSS in. (You know, like to make the scroll bars a different colour etc.)

Oh wait, I should probably say that I have UBB 6.0.1 on my site. You can check the link in my sig if you wanna look.

hello
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
moving to "html, css"

You add it in your style settings in your headerinsert box.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
You can do what they already said, but here's what I'll do for you. I visited your site, called "RomsNStuff", and I was treated to 3 popups on load, and about 5 JavaScript popups that asked me to set my homepage to your site.

Well, after clicking past all those things, I visited your forums, which have practically no posts or users. Now we have the issue of your UBB. You're running a clean install of 6.01, when the latest version is 6.03.

Let's talk about your site, shall we? You host (or used to host) "romz", which are memory images of video games. Video games are protected under US Copyright Law, and it's illegal to distribute and run copies of said games. Now, I'm no lawyer, but it would seem to me as if you are actually breaking the law.

Your site/forum is hosted on a free server, with free redirection from cjb.net. Now, having mentioned everything from above, if you can give me one good reason not to suspect you of running a pirated UBB, I'll leave this thread open.

Sponsored Links
Why is it if that no one has the most update version you people automatic think they have a pirited bored? maybe they had a license and it expired so it is the latest version of UBB they have, thats not illegal, maybe they dont want to upgrade? Maybe it is a pireted board, but how do you know it is? You cnat just go on the aussumtion that it is cause its not the most up to date.

Oh btw squage, it's not illegal to distrubite roms, it is illegal to download them and have them for more then 24hrs if you do not own them though.

Moderator / Template Diva
Moderator / Template Diva
Kubic, here's my opinion on what you said...

If someone's license did in fact only recently expire, that mean's they have been associated with UBB for at least a year. A year is an eternity, in Internet terms, and that is quite sufficient time for one to get acquainted with the basic to almost-advanced workings of the software. I'm not saying that a year is long enough for him to spout off specific line numbers on command. But it should be long enough for him to figure out generally what he can and can't do with the software, and where most of those features can be found. And UBB6 has been out since February. By now, he *should* know that any CSS (read: STYLE) information can be added from the STYLE Template Settings control panel - not a file. I'm not saying that it's a crime if he doesn't, but you'd think that most people would know that if they'd had the software for two months (and had been acquainted with similar software for a previous ten months).

Then, there is the element of his free host. Of course it's not a universal fact, but MOST of the time, if someone has enough money to purchase a now $250-4,000 piece of software, it can be usually assumed that they've got enough money to have a real domain name and host. And there have been overwhelmingly numerous past instances where users of freebies like Hypermart, virtualave, CJB.net, etc., have used pirated UBB software.

And on your point about roms: if he is the owner of the space where they are located (in this case, a freebie host) then owns the files. And unless he owns the actual game carts or CDs for all the rom images on his site, it is illegal for him to possess the roms. If he is illegally possessing them, it's even more illegal for him to distribute them.

Given the facts that A) he's apparently quite unfamiliar with UBB... B) he's got a not-current version of the software... C) he's on a free host... and D) he's distributing files of at least questionable legality... I'd say Matt has every right to assume the possibility of a pirated UBB.

If, in fact, Malakai did purchase his UBB license and just happens to be using a non-current version on a free host, I extend my sincere apologies for entertaining the possibility of piracy. But like Matt said, you'll have to give at least one good reason why we shouldn't be suspect.

---Skorpion

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
quote:
If you really checked my site you would notice that I am no longer hosting any roms... it says that on the side of the table. There were two reasons I changed that, one is that I am not allowed to put roms on my site, the second is because I was informed that they were indeed illegal. I did not know that before. All I knew is that there were lots of roms sites on the internet and thay all had the same disclaimer, therefore I thought that they were indeed legal to own and use as long as the guidelines were followed. And my site is changing... from a roms site to a game rating site.. I just havent had much time to change things yet.

hello
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Sounds good Malakia... we'd like to help you with your site then, but to keep us out of legal hot water, go ahead and make the necessary changes to your site then come back for some help.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
quote:
Although this discussion doesn't really need my input, I'd like to say that this is a common misapprehension. ROM's are copies of games, and illegal under copyright law because of that. Copyright law has 3 parts, the right to profit from your work, the right to control the distribution of your work, and the right to say how your work is used. ROMS take away all 3 parts of that from the game companies. 24 hours, 10 seconds, 3 years, no matter how long you have a ROM, it's illegal unless it was approved and distributed by the company that made the original game.

Yes the reason I changed my page is on account of the same reason lucia said. Anyways you will all be glad to hear that although the site was [edit]not[/edit] taken down... it is no longer mine. I actually gave it to a VERY grateful friend of mine (he sux at making sitez and will soon mess this one up lol). Anyways I am currently creating a new site called The Gamer's Oasis. It will be a general gaming site and will not involve anythhing illegal. Now I know that somebody's gonna ask what I did with the old UBB. Well the server is having problems and I can't take it down yet... but on the other hand nobody can use it either. It will be down as soon as I can contact the ftp server properly. Well anyways my new UBB won't go up till the old one comes down. I will still be participating in the forums though, I want to get my skills up. If there are any questions feel free to ask.

[ April 09, 2001: Message edited by: Malakai ]

hello
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Well, it's nice to see that you've cleaned up your act. No more pirated UBBs, no more warez, no more ROMs... or else I go back to being a jerk. wink

Now, what can I do ya for?

The old UBB has been taken down (HOORAH)!

My friend is gonna wonder why it's gone... I'll just have to tell him that the server reformatted and the files are gone, lol. (I gave my old site to him).

Well anyways my new site won't be up for about another 3 weeks frown . It's not easy working on a site for 4 1/2 weeks then just giving it away... oh well, the new site will be much better with, get this... NO POP-UPS! Yay for everybody! Anyways you will all see the new site soon enough. Feel free to ICQ me if you catch me online my nuber is 101201514.

hello
Hi all! Well I have not made any leaps or bounds in the site and actually am being distracted by a great game (Black & White). Its real fun. But anyways back to topic I will give you all updates about my new site soon. It is pretty cool so far. My friend is helping me out a little but still i seem to be lagging behind in the developement of my new site. The fact that it is going to be huge seems to be the main factor here. Umm if anybody could make a logo for my site that would be beautiful. Anyways im sorta busy so i gotta go see you all later.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the site is called "The Gamer's Oasis" and its a general gaming site. I would make my own logo but i dont have photoshop or any other high-end graphics programs, well thanks goes out in advance to anyone who tries to help me out

[ May 03, 2001 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Malakai ]

hello
Malakai,

For graphics, try downloading Paint Shop Pro ( www.paintshoppro.com ), it is a good high-end graphics program that has a pretty functional shareware version.

For the CSS problem, it is simple to implement CSS. There are 2 steps.

1.) Create a style.css file(you can name it whatever you want). To see a working example of one, just view any web page that uses css. For instance, you can see UBBDev.com's css page by clicking here .

2.) Next, add this code into your web page inside the tags.

*if you rename style.css to something else, you have to change it in the code block in step 2.

Voila! cool

i will make a logo for you, add me to your icq, 38564211.

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Hey CNCR[CR], can you change your sig image to comply with our guidelines please? It can be no larger than 150x50. Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Zarzal
Zarzal
Berlin, Germany
Forum Statistics
Forums63