Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kahuna
Kahuna
other than the typical "netscape suckz"...

anyone know what i did wrong here? works fine in IE, but netscape gives me errors

http://www.robkamphausen.com/misc/projgrad2bottom.htm

Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.robkamphausen.com%2Fmisc%2Fprojgrad2bottom.htm&doctype=Inline&ss=

Check that out, and fix all the errors. Then come back and tell me again if it still doesn't work. And, sometimes, certain scripts just won't work in NS. What version of NS are you testing with, BTW?

Kahuna
Kahuna
heya matt. that validator thing is pretty cool, btw!

anyway, thanks for the reply. i checked things out. most of the "errors" it found were actually not really errors. it yelled at me! smile

it said stuff like "there's no topmargin" (because i have it specifically set to 0)

but, bottom line, no real reason why the code shouldnt work frown

(and, im using netscape 4.7x to check this), which just displays "javascript error" in the status bar, instead of the countdown.

Running an HTML validator will not find problems with Javascript code. Maybe some validator out there does that, but not the W3C one. It freaks out when confronted with Javascript. Ideally, it would ignore anything between the tags.

Here's a fix: It is common to enclose any javascript code in an html comment tag. Older browsers that can't 'do' javascript will just ignore the code. And I think the W3C validator will skip over it also.

Like this:

Code
code:

Anyway, I recognize that countdown script. Comes from www.dynamicdrive.com. First thing would be to make sure you are using the very latest version of the Dynamic Countdown Script:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex6/dhtmlcount.htm

NS is throwing a Javascript error because your html has no 'countdownnsmain' object. That's the very last line of code in the Dynamic Countdown Script. The line that starts with:

Your page didn't have that line.

Just redo the whole thing, follow the directions carefully, enclose all javaswcript inside an html comment, and it should work great.

"Waffles are nothing more than a vehicle for butter and syrup" - Dr. Clayton Forrester
One more thing...

I hate to have to mention this, but you should not remove the copyright notice in that script, according to the Dynamic Drive- Terms Of Use .

Consider this: You got this cool script for free. Leaving the copyright notice makes it easier for others to help you debug your page. Plus, next year when a new browser comes out and breaks the old scipt, you know exactly where to go for the updated version ... tipsy

"Waffles are nothing more than a vehicle for butter and syrup" - Dr. Clayton Forrester
Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
agreed!

most always, ill leave the copyright tag in there.... ill edit the code, mess around with it a lot, but, there's no harm in leaving in the code.

however, while creating (stealing) this script, i noticed there was no copyright... at least not where i saw it (i got it from a third party site, not the one you mentioned... thats where im goin now, tho! :)).

id be happy to put it in, tho (ESPECIALLY if it got it working! smile im runnin outta time here!)

thanks for the help!

[ April 24, 2001 10:39 PM: Message edited by: drkknght ]

Kahuna
Kahuna
wuhoo! woiked like a charm!

thanks a billion! laugh

(check it out!)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63