Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Moderator / Template Diva
Compact Headers 2.0, or CH2, is a little template modification that removes the logo image from your UBB™, and it streamlines the rest of the top portion of your UBB™ to make it smaller and more aesthetically pleasing.

CH2 is a complete rewrite of the original Compact Headers hack. There are two main behind-the-scenes differences between CH2 and the original Compact Headers (CH1). Namely, CH2 has been built entirely for UBB™ 6.1.0, and it's also been coded to be (hopefully) XHTML validated, for excellent cross-browser compatibility. And of course, though CH2 does look similar to its predecessor in terms of what the end-user sees, there are quite a few differences in that area as well. Almost all upper elements of pages have been incorporated into CH2 - this means anything that would normally appear between the logo and the main body of the page. Those changes are too numerous to list the particulars here, so you'll just have to look for yourself. CH2 is also even more compact than CH1 - the whole upper area of your UBB now contains no more than three lines of text (provided you don't have exteremely long forum or topic names, etc.). CH2 also goes a long way toward complete standardization - where several templates in CH1 got their own table implementation, *all* templates in CH2 now reference the $StandardTitleTable variable and only vary from each other in the name or extra information in the bottom row. Because this hack contains complete template files, installing it normally will overwrite any hacking you've already done to the standard templates. As such, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you start out with a clean board and install the CH2 templates before installing anything else!!

Very special thanks to Allen Ayres for letting me use his XHTML-based templates as a starting point for CH2. Also, massive amounts of crazy ninja love to him for porting CH2 up to UBB™ 6.1.0.3!!!

Here are the links I'm sure you'll be interested in...

Demo: http://www.se7enet.com/site/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
Downoad: https://www.ubbdev.com/columns/Skorpion/mods.html
NOTE: You must be a valid license holder before you can enter the main download page.

Please let me know of any bugs or problems you find. Thanks!

---Skorpion

[ 12-04-2001 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Jamin ]

[ 12-17-2001 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Jamin ]

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
Sponsored Links
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Great job! smile

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
I hate doubleposts! frown

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: LK ]

Great work skorp!

Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
looks great as always skorp laugh

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Bookie - ]

Sponsored Links
Great job Skorp! laugh

The only thing I changed on my test board so far is adding a align="center" to the tables that do not use the $TBT variable in public_topic_page.pl (the time format text was further left than the other tables) and public_login.pl (the lost password and register text was doing the same thing) wink

Glad you put them over the XHTML templates too smile VERY NICE!!!!!!

jeremiah
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:

I believe that would warrant it's own modification and a seperate thread... wink

Skorp, the last bug was fixed in the xhtml templates, you might wanna update your files with it, it was only one changed sub routine in public_common.pl.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:
lol - What? Maybe I should have mentioned that this was after I installed the compact headers laugh

tipsy

jeremiah
Allen: I'm updating the .zip as I write this. Thanks for the heads up. smile

Freakscene: I may be just misunderstanding you, but I don't think those are part of the scope of CH... All CH-encompassing tables that are meant to have borders use $TBT or an exact replica of the HTML in question. And I am leaving all non-CH related portions of the tables completely alone, for ease of compatibility with other hacks. smile

---Skorpion

Hey Skorp,

I don't know what the deal was. May have been something else I did. I put the Compact Headers into a fresh install of the UBB and those sections were noticibly over to the left. The table width was set to 95% @ the time... confused

After I put the center tags in those 2 tables it was corrected.

If I am the only one that got this, it is obviously something I did shocked

Anyway, corrected whatever the heck I did and I am enjoying the new sleek Templates laugh

Thanks Skorp! laugh

jeremiah
Sponsored Links
Hey Skorp!

Well I installed your lastest version, and I might have a litte bug. I have installed and uninstalled this to make sure.

Everything works fine until you make a post. You get to the page where it thanks you for posting, but the board just stops there. You have to click on the hyper link to take you back. From that page it won't even try automaticly bring you back. The new thread is processed fine, but the auto return won't work. Any ideas?

By the way this is the only modification I've made to my board. Using 6.1.0 Beta 1.4.

*** I just took out my custom header. That changed things a little. Auto forward works now, but the new topic or replies donot refresh upon return. To view the new topic or post for that forum you have to manually refresh. Hmm.

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: MrBill ]

Mr. Bill
Yeah i noticed this. Your transition in public_common.pl is #.
It takes way too long to transition, so... should i un# these?

#$_[0] =~ s/&/&/g;
#$direct_to = qq!!;

or do you have a better solution. Other than that, it's a great hack!

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: raiyan ]

Im hacking a board to get good at hacking until version 6.1 full comes out....and i made this hack today and then came here and someone told me it was odne and now that i see this here im dissapointed that i spent so much time on it today..lol but it was prolly good for me...here please tell me if my board is looking ok www.magic-gamers.com is my site and my board is http://mgamers.pthunited.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Kahuna
Kahuna
Um, this hack is for 6.1.0 beta. Not UBB 6.0x...

.::First place winner in the June 2001 Member Spotlight ::.
.::Zelda Xtreme::.
MrBill y Raiyan, mm, I never commented anything out, that I remember anyway. But there they are, just the same. wink Yes, afaik they should be uncommented, so go ahead and do it on your boards. I'll update the .zip emminently. Thanks guys. smile

DexZero, I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say. But I get broken server errors for both of those addresses, so, um... pants! tipsy laugh

---Skorpion

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
those # are supposed to be in there... qasic re-wrote the sub transition to kill the last remaining bugs. The actual amount of time it takes to transition should be the same, unless you are getting some javascript errors. eh, are ye? and what browser are ye using on your site?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I was using ie 5.0. I just reloaded the old public_common.pl and it seems to working alright and transitions are the same.

the next/prev icons just kinda hang there smirk mabey they need to be moved or takein out heh smile

Now, I want to leave early and go home and work on this hack... But i can't..

I love this hack Skorp.. You da man!!

lol..

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
This one outta beta?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Er, nope... It hasn't even been updated since PB1.4...

As soon as I get my computer back and a little extra time, I'll update it for 6.1.0.2 and call it good. AFAIK there aren't any major bugs, so it's just a matter of updating it that will make it pretty much final.

---Skorpion

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
A lot of the changes are just one line in each file.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Wow, great work really!

Allan, you should take matters into your own hands smile It sounds like Skorpion's gonna take his sweet ass time finishing it. Just kidding, but seriously Im DYING to get this hack!

Thanks laugh

Wowzers..gonna check it out Skorp! Thanks alot!

I have a version of it *running* on se7enet (6.1.0 Release). I accomplished it essentially by using UEdit's Replace In Files, replacing $CGIURL/ultimatebb.cgi? with $ULTIMATEBB?. And it *works*, well enough. But of course I don't know if it was the *correct* thing to do.

CH2 is very close to the top of my Jamin's Boonboard O' Doom, Desolation, & Destruction, written prominently in bright blue marker. And like Allen said (and I can already attest to, without really looking at it), most of the changes are only one line per file. So it shouldn't take that long.

Everyone who wants this, pray I get my computer back soon. Once I do, you'll have your hack! laugh

---Skorpion

Yippie! Tanks Skorp laugh

Alright folks, Allen has been kind enough to port this up to 6.1.0.3, and you can see it in action at this very site! Everyone give major props to him for doing that!! As such, (since I know Allen won't use a mod here that's not) I'm dubbing this 2.0.0 Final. Completion is a beautiful thing.

So, to recap, the pandas are winning the race, and CH2 Final has been released for 6.1.0.3!

---Skorpion

w00t! i noticed it frist thing when i loged on, thanks AA, thanks skorp

found a problem with them :/, not really a big problem but if a topic name is long like this one it dosent wrap and even at my reso makes u scroll tot he right to see the rest of the header. not a problem just something u might wanna know heh, also why is java not working on dev?

I am gonna install this and then make all my template mods again in a little bit this hack just looks that good.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
danke Tim... if you install these, please check the javascript in the instant graemlins, I think it's just something I did in the cgi files, but could be the the javascript in the instant smilies. Thanks.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
np

Allen it is in the templates there is something wronge with it handling javascript it totaly murders my javascript menu that i made. It also does not let the smilies work.

Allen it is in the templates there is something wronge with it handling javascript it totaly murders my javascript menu that i made. It also does not let the smilies work. I have traced the problem that is killing my java menu back to public_common. I am not shure what in there is killing it but as soon as that file is uploaded it starts screwing my javascript menu up. So i have been forced to remove this hack for now.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
JS error fixed... please download this file to replace the one you have:

https://ubbdev.com/public_common.txt

You may wanna update the zip Skorpion.. sorry

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
let me try again then.

Allen i am gonna try to track down what is messing up my javascript menu could you help me track this down in public_common since you know this hack better than me???

Allen i am removing this hack for now.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Does your menu use 'onload' in the body tag?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63