Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#114771 07/21/2002 11:30 AM
If this isn't the right forum for this, please let me know and I'll ask an admin to move the topic for me.

My website uses a javascript navigation menu. Yesterday, I updated the Style Template I'm using to allow for a banner and side-bar on my Forum pages. The navigation menu appears in the side-bar.

Here's the problem:

Everything is working fine in terms of functionality - even the navigation system. However, for some reason I can't seem to pin down, on the forum summary page and ONLY the forum summary page, the arrows that are part of my navigation menu don't appear. If I enter a forum category, they work just fine. If I make a new post, they work just fine. The problem is limited to -strictly- the summary page.

This has me completely boggled. I even went so far as to remove the dynamic links to the images in the script and replace them with static ones. The problem still exists.

I'll post whatever code you'd like to look at if it will help in solving this problem for me. Just let me know what you need.

The board is at http://vvvcentral.com/forums.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
#114772 07/21/2002 8:03 PM
Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
I'm going to move this to Forum Design Integration, hopefully you can get some help there. wink

#114773 07/21/2002 10:25 PM
Thanks Bookie!

#114774 07/22/2002 10:21 PM
Can anyone look at this for me? I've still made no progress in trying to figure it out on my own.

#114775 07/23/2002 3:53 AM
CTM Offline
Moderator / Da Masta
Moderator / Da Masta
The images appear to be linking to http://vvvcentral.com/cgi-bin/undefined. Try going through your JS file looking for references to images, and make sure http://vvvcentral.com/images/open.gif is in there somewhere. smile

Sponsored Links
#114776 07/23/2002 6:10 AM
Thanks CTM, but it's not that simple (though I wish it were). Here's the script:

Code
[/code]And then this to insert the menu:

[code]
As I've said, I've even tried hard-coding the URLs to the image files. Still doesn't work. And it's only on the forum summary.

The only thing I can figure here is that it has to have something to do with the way UBB is reading that code and parsing it.

Could this have anything to do with either XHTML compliancy or the fact that I'm using the UBB Accelerator? (Yes - I'm grasping at straws here.)

I mean if it wasn't working anywhere on the forums, I would be inclined to believe I screwed up the coding somewhere, but the fact that it works everywhere on the site and forums but in that one spot just completely boggles me.

#114777 07/23/2002 7:03 AM
Content Kidman
Content Kidman
Phew!

Found the problem. It's because your News Fader has a line in it that points the windows.onload event to its own function. This means your BODY tag OnLoad event never fires and never initialises your Open and Closed variables, hence the undefined message you see for the image properties.

To be honest the HTML and Javascript code is a little messy but the easiest way of getting around this problem is simply to add...

Code
[/code]to your header for the style, this will force your preload function to be called which means you can remove your OnLoad addition to the BODY tag.

Whilst you're at it you may also want to change a couple of other things I noticed on the page.

1. Incorrectly nested tags around the calendar hack. It says...

Code
</pre></div></div>You should close the font tag first and then the anchor tag, i.e.<br><br><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
2. Your Newswire anchor tag isn't closed and it's outside the contents of a cell, it says...

Code
</pre></div></div>It should be...<br><br><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
3. Your popup script opens by saying
Code
</pre></div></div>, you should declare this as [code]
at least.

#114778 07/23/2002 3:49 PM
Paulus - you are my hero! That, as I'm sure you already knew, fixed the problem. Never even occurred to me to look for that.

As for your suggestions:

Yes - you're right that I need to clean up my own HTML and scripts. However, with the exception of one that you mentioned (the pop-up script), none of those were written by me. They're all part of hacks I have installed.

Nevertheless, now that you took the time to point it out, the perfectionist in me cannot help but to fix them. So now I have a project for tonight! wink

Thanks again for figuring this out for me!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63