Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kahuna
Kahuna
jm is workin on the ssi version. i asked him awhile ago to check out the possibility of a non-ssi version, that appeared on the forum's summary page. not too sure how far he got with that tho...

soo... im back to suggestin it smile

this was a hack i used on ubb v5's, it lists the 5 or 10 most recent topics (replied to or new ones) in a little table at the bottom of the front page. it listed the subject, the forum name, who posted it, and the date.

anyone know how to duplicate this, for v6?

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
le bump

Kahuna
Kahuna
...sigh...

one, final, heart-felt bump

Kahuna
Kahuna
hmm...

not that i have any clue what im doing, mind you, but...

could part of "public_daily_topics.pl" simply be referenced in "forum_summary.pl"?

like, perhaps, just copy the code from one and place it in the other?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
most likely... that was my thinking yesterday when you were asking me about it...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
... intriguing...

i tried copying the contents of the daily topics file into the summary file...

didnt know what was important, and what wasnt, so i copied from TBP to TBB ... or whatever the codes are for table top and bottom (dont remember -- not smart).

did not acheive desired results, as it just "ended" my forum summary right above where the icon legend should be.

and, even were it to work, it'd still be listing the 75 (or whatever) most recent posts, instead of somethin convenient, like 5 or 7.

still, tho... it'd be a major start...

...if it worked... wink

Kahuna
Kahuna
ok... im trying more attempts at this idea...

stage a: is to strip down the daily topics.pl to its bare bones, eliminating the header graphic, logon table, etc, etc. reducing it so that its JUST the table containing the topics / replies / author, etc.

sometimes, i get further than others, when deleting stuff and testing to see if it still works. then, oddly enough, if it doesnt work, i have to start from scratch (since, for whatever reason, i cant get an "up to this point" version to work, even tho it worked when i was... well.. up to that point).

anyway, can someone who knows more about cgi script gimme a hand? i dunno what the heck all the tilde's and semi colons n'stuff are for... i dont know whats "vital" to the page and what isnt...

haaalp! eek

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
laugh

This should be fun to watch...:)

Basically, you want to pull just the piece out of public_daily_topis.pl that call the table that structures the latest topics and place that where you want in public_forum_summary.pl. That would make a huge page tho, so someone else is gonna have to show you how to cut the # of topics down to 3-5 or so...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
thats what i initially tried to do, but got the "cut off" effect

my problem, i believe, is with all those annoying lil "~;" things. do i need'em? can i cut'em?

or things like "return($PageTop);"

... bascially, anything that dudn't look like html confused the buh-geezus outta me smile

Kahuna
Kahuna
and quit laughin at my ig'nince! smile

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
curiouser...

ok, check my forum main page

http://www.robkamphausen.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

its a hyrbid of the two files...

i get SOMEthing... meaning it loads to a page and not the error...

but it screws around with my summary table placing and spacing ... and it also excludes the active topics tables...

my guess is its either missing or has too many table related html tags, but... im not sure.

Kahuna
Kahuna
man...

i am on SOME sorta crack...

been f'in around with this for quite some time. im gettin .... like.... lsd versions of my forum summary.

some of them look purdier than others, but none of'em look right (they all include the contact info above the topic listing -- and exclude the recent topic list).

the whole process is just:

1) ... hmm.. try this
2) save
3) refresh ftp
4) upload
5) refresh cache
6) refresh browser
7) doh!
8) rinse, wash, repeat.

i have no idea what the hell im doin! laugh

these frickin cgi codes are breakin me up

Kahuna
Kahuna
oy!

... i've now stumbled across ways to rearrange things on my boards, but still no discernible difference. can't seem to figure out why the "contact" links appear so high up and why the active topics dont appear at all.

...the struggle continues...

Kahuna
Kahuna
...please help robbie...

...robbie sad...

Kahuna
Kahuna
i have now found nearly 100 ways NOT to preform this maneuver, but yet to find 1 that works.

im still screwin up on this copy over thing... my boards are all screwy. all a brotha needs is some ubb code-knowin help wink

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hey robbie, got a link to your present predicament? I'd like to see where you are on this, mebbe have some suggestions...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
sure double A!

its the main page to my forum, http://www.robkamphausen.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

notice the black box up top, containing the copyright info. dat aint right!

and, if you go to view > source, you can see the "active topics" in the source code, but they never display on the page itself.

here's a link to my forum summary
http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubb/Templates/public_forum_summary.pl

(if its not cool to post those, feel free to delete the link)

Templates are swappable so you are ok smile

jeremiah
Kahuna
Kahuna
selwallowingfpity

its one o'them word puzzles :rolleyes:

this hack has now, completely, escaped beyond my (already limited) abilities.

I was sure Jigga Master already released the "Active Topics" hack for UBB 6.0, mainly because I have the hack installed on my forums...lol!

I would like to die like my grandfather; peacefully in his sleep, unlike the screaming passengers in the car he was driving.

I would like to die like my grandfather; peacefully in his sleep, unlike the screaming passengers in the car he was driving.
Kahuna
Kahuna
isnt that the one that involves all the ssi shtuff? (pretty sure it does). thats all well n'good, but, it doesnt help me at all. im tryin to get it displayed as part of ultimatebb.cgi, without the dynamic appearance.

Kahuna
Kahuna
...for the luvagod...

...and all his children...

can i PLEASE... PLEASE! get some edumication up in this piece? i cant figure the frickin thing out, n'its drivin me nuts. nutsier than regular! more so than almond joy!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I tried your file on a test site rob and got an "out of memory" error... odd.

Anyways, just looking at your code, you have 2 sub page bottoms in there, yes, the are a little different in capitalization, but you also have 2

my $Bottom = qq~

in there, one from forum_summary and one from daily_topics... has to be erroring there... I don't see how your site is functioning with them like that...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
i've been known to make the impossible possible! wink

problem is... i just can't make the possible possible! doh!

thanks for checkin on it, double a. suggestions on which ones i should remove? its coding crap like the things you mentioned above that conpletely boggle me. us html geeks dont need so stinkin dollar signs!

Kahuna
Kahuna
MAN! whutsa guy gotta do t'get a lil response flowin here. im feeling weak! my boards are depressing! SOMEONE's gotta know whats goin wrong here (other than my parents, teachers, and bosses). SOMEONE's gotta be able t'spot the flaw in my plan.

mebbe, if i showed a little leg? or, perhaps, if i showed a little leg if y'DIDNT help me?

regardless, someone, please, dear god please... hook me up! walk me thru it, point out the errors, list the corrections, do it for me... whatever! just help a brotha out.

...n'stuff.

Kahuna
Kahuna
double a,
im dyin here. any chance on mebbe gettin this thread moved to the "questions" forum?

perhaps, then, id get more of a response?

Kahuna
Kahuna
[new forum bump dance] bump [/new forum bump dance]

Kahuna
Kahuna
ok. i surrender.

one last, sad, final time, ill bump this thread.

im dyin fer someone t'help me out. very frustrating t'have it still be sucha problem. and, i apologize for my stupidity and constant beggin fer assistance.

here we go:

"bump"

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Rob... you might concentrate on some other aspects and let this one go until the active threads mod is up where it needs to be to work... I know what it's like to bang my head on a mod and never get it to work like I want. Until other developers find it "interesting" enough to devote time to it, it's difficult to gather support for it.

Once some of the more popular mods stabilize, you might get more assistance here...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
hmm... well, double a, i might just be forced to relent and agree with ya.

....razzerfracken....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63