Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I need to run the active topics hack from an asp page, when i use the save to file option it seems fine if i just go to active.cgi. It creates the required html for me to include, Great, But after making the mods to postings.cgi so it autmatically creates the HTML it now locks on the redircting page after submitting a reply or posting a new message.

Some one please help me out because ive spent days looking for this hack, and now im so close, but not quite there.

Sponsored Links
OK, It works fine when i set the script to not save to file, and i just hit it, but as soon as i set it to save as file i get - The system cannot execute the specified program. - at the bottom of my new post redirects.

Is there anything anyone can think of that would cause it not to save to file? If i set it to save as file and hit the script direct rather than posting a new message it creates the html fine. But not when activated through postings.cgi

Please give me some feedback here. If seen loads of people running this srcript, and ive got most the mods i previously tried working, but i really want this and it just aint having it.

This is turning into an essay, you can see im desperate, Im running on a win 2k server so maybe the chmod line has something to do with it.

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
There is no such thing as a chmod on a w2k box, if the script wants to do a chmod just put a # at tha start of the line to comment it out, and see if that makes a difference.

I can't afford a good signature editor frown
Yeah i was wondering that so i have been trying with and without, thanks for confirming though. Still no luck.

Does anyone know if its possible to not go for the version where it creates html and instead use the ssi method but calling it from an asp page, without turning on parsing for all asp pages?

Its winding me up because i see other sites doing it, has anyone successfully used the active topics using the low overhead version?

Sponsored Links
Ive noticed that active.cgi includes categories.file, iv checked and mine is completely empty, will this effect anything?

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
I doubt you can do it via ssi without parsing all asp files. I know on unix you can put a file in the same directory called .htaccess and add the line
add-handler ......
and this will parse just the files in that directoy.
Dont know if thats possible under a NT based server.

I can't afford a good signature editor frown
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You can SSI html pages into .asp pages... the .asp pages are "parsed", hence the name "active" server pages... smile

I thought you were talking about for v6 in your email Kristian, I can install this for you if you like.

If you have categories in your forum, there should be something in your categories.file.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Yeah i can SSi the HTML in to the page no problem, and i can create the HTML no problems when i hit active.cgi in my browser, but i moded the posting.cgi as stated so it would execute active.cgi when a new message was posted. This is the bit thats giving me problems. Itll post the message but there is an error code at the bottom of the thankyou redirect saying unable to execute active.cgi.

Its for include on my sites homepage which is busy so i want to use the low overhead version. (still havnt heard if anyone has successfully used this) But ive seen it on other ASP sites so i assume it can be done.

And Allen Ayres my version is 5.47, here is the active.cgi script im using, i have removed all the code i could find relating to the other display options i have no intention of using so this is stripped down.

Code
code:

Im executing it from postings.cgi using
Code
code:

dont worry about this for now, i have my license number now so im upgrading to v6 and trying that it with that instead.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63