Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#126310 06/26/2001 4:05 PM
mad
I'm really frustrated by the amount of profanity that's been showing up in my bulletin board, does anyone have the definitive list of censor words and/or any other advice to help control this?

Thanks in advance.
tipsy

Help, I've lost my signature...
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Welcome... and yes, we have covered this before, check here .

smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Gee, thanks for the help. Guess I'll just go unregister now...

frown

...don't get me wrong though... your list was cute, it's just that I'm too frustrated to laugh right now....

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
did you read the last post? the last sentence?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Yes, I did. I knew that and have done that all along. It's just that one of my boards is so busy it's hard to patrol for all of the offensive words. I block IPs, ban email addresses, and try and come up with as many variations as possible and they still get around it. That's why I wondered if anyone here might have the "Mother of All Lists" and/or other advice on how to block variations like B*I*T*C*H <--- see, I bet that worked!

So that's my frustration... any bits of code or anything else to assist would be great.

Thanks,

You just need to censor all the new words they make up, Thats all I can think of.

S**T, that's not what I want to hear! When I have 1000's of minors viewing the UBB, variations like the one at the start of this sentence are not acceptable to many of their parents. We do our best to patrol for these, but I still receive a lot of angry email.

Thanks (again),

*here is a tip*

In version 5 of the ubb you can get around the protection for like ***** (or B*I*T*C*H) as you put it another way.

And the bold and italic open and close tags side by side. Like this.

BITCH (in html it would look like this BITCH).

It works nicely with 4 letter words. Also... I don't know if it works in HTML, but the UBB code gets around the filter.

[ June 27, 2001 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Demon_200000 ]

Oh, to help your cause, you can check the agreements that were made on signup. Usually you have to be like over 13, and agree to certain conditions. Maybe they agreed to not hold you accountable for the content they read. smile

Sponsored Links
CT Offline
I don't see the problem. Here's what I do: warn once, second warning = one week ban, third warning = permanent ban.

Use your authority, most users want to post on your board and don't like to be banned.

Thanks for the advice. I have actually blocked and banned a number of users, but it still starts up again - despite the warnings.

I got a really great list of nasty *** words from David Dreezer (Project Manager for UBB). After coupling it with the one I already had its, ummm, pretty thorough. I'm willing to share this list with anyone interested.

The one thing no one seems to know is if there is some sort of hack that will look for wilcard variations like the one I showed above.

Thanks again,
Pete
smile

#126322 07/04/2001 10:15 PM
Maybe For ***** type B I T C H in the censor box. That might censor anything inbetween the words.

I tried putting the spaces in the list and I also tried adding the "*" wildcard variations, but it had the unfortunate result of rendering the letters c,u,k, and f useless (not neccessarily in that order of course wink ). Which, for about 5 minutes, had the users going crazy...it was kind of funny actually. People were screaming about why they couldn't use the 11th letter of the alphabet or the one between "e" and "g"! Good fun.

I'm beginning to think that adding as many words as possible and policing for the elusive few variations is going to be my only course of action.

Thanks again everyone!

#126324 07/05/2001 11:07 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
smile

Gonna be like stomping roaches when the lights come on... if they wanna post using profanity, there are endless ways of getting around any filter... you gotta account for stuff like @$$ too...

The best measure is to block the main ones to prevent new people from accidently going against policy, then warn/ban them when they do it purposefully.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Of course those truly intent on being profane will resort to foreign languages, so you may have to expand your character set

laugh

-Tacks

I think deleting the member's account and banning his E-Mail will fix your problem.

I have a problem, when I filter the word "arse" between curly brackets {arse}. People can not register with names like Barse, or Darseen! they would get a message (your name contains the word arse, please try another name). So, I've deletd this word and other words just to let users register their names.

Is there a fix for this problem? thank you..

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63