Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread

---------------------------------------
paste this before:

all done in cplinks.html

I have never seen "System/ Debugging", what version of the UBB is that? Im on 5.45c - would i have to upgrade to .47? And surely there must be a full URL in there - A HREF="Ubbpoll/admin.cgi"?

This is the 4th time i've tried this, everytime the same. What am i doing wrong? confused

Thanks all!

[ September 03, 2001: Message edited by: Rich9 ]
#127229 09/03/2001 8:47 AM
Hi guys, anyone done the poll? If so, i would appreciate any help on this.

AFAIK, i made a successful bit of pasting/changing CHMOD...but as soon as I try to make a new poll, i get this error - "The members.cgi file could not be opened because No such file or directory" Any ideas why? Also, there are a few more questions -

To place the Ubbpoll on Ultimate, the author asks us to cut the code in here -

sub ForumsBottomHTML {
#POLL ADD
# push(@INC,'/myabpath/public_html/cgi-bin/Ubbpoll');
push(@INC,$poll_path); # will only work with cp-extensions !
require 'UBBPoll.pl';
ubb_poll();
#END POLL ADD
print <
Im not a perl guy, but surely its got to go under the print? It just cuts out half of the main page when i open the board.

And the CP extension -

Search for:

System/ Debugging

Edit Poll

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
I had it on my board a log time ago, I think back then I was using 5.47, and from memory it worked fine the first time. I also had about 30 outher hacks on my board, so I think you should tabe a break from it, then read it again, carefully! and give it another go.

# push(@INC,'/myabpath/public_html/cgi-bin/Ubbpoll');
push(@INC,$poll_path); # will only work with cp-extensions !
require 'UBBPoll.pl';
ubb_poll();
#END POLL ADD

all the above bit is doing is pushing a variable into an array, requiring the UBBPoll.pl file so it can use subs/functions and variables from there in your Ultimate.cgi
Try using the first push statement, the one thats commented out, and comment out the second one (be sure to modify the path)

And it doesnt need to go in the print statement.

Hope this helps.

I can't afford a good signature editor frown
For the cplinks.htm bit just convert it to how all the other link codes are. Also just use the $CGIurl/ubbpolldirectory/whatever so you don't always need to change it..(If that works...)

Thanks for the replies all. This is my 4th time on it - maybe because Im running a 5.45c and not compatable with the the poll (and only successful with a 5.47?) Has anyone got a poll running with 5.45c?

Lord dexter - so it would go a bit like - Time Zone Settings

What would be the action then? "Ubbpoll"?

Has anyone come across this error though "The members.cgi file could not be opened because No such file or directory" I dont understand, because i looked in my FTP, and sure enough, it created a members.cgi file in the Ubbpoll directory confused

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Rich9 ]

Rich,
I have it working on 5.45c no problems. Not sure exactly what I did...there were some changes I had to make though. I'll look over my files later today and see what I can find. Just FYI that it does work on 5.45c smile

Sponsored Links
#127234 09/04/2001 10:17 AM
Thanks Vipermad, I appreciate any help on this one. i guess I must be making a fundamental error in the installation somewhere, but I'm really stumped here...and the errors are kinda big ones! whats the URL there Tony from the CPlinks? Like the one above in my earlier post? Cheers smile

#127235 09/04/2001 10:38 AM
I also had it working on 5.45c but for some reason the colours weren't working properly in the Poll pages and nothing I did would make them show up correctly. I'm giving it another go, I'll let you know if I have the same problem as you.

#127236 09/04/2001 10:42 AM
aha! Fina;;y I have got the thing working, without the CP extension, just stand alone poll...but would love to place it in the Ultimate. Now, i think my Ultimate is probably too hacked, i have messed around with it some...when i try to place the poll in there, it just cuts off everything below the last forum. This si what i got there so far, if anyone can see a fatal error, please let me know -

Code
code:

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Rich9 ]

Rich 9 try this for the cplinks.html...

[code]
Time Zone Settings

I'm not sure if it will work. After the $CGIurl add the path to your admin.cgi in your cgi-bin and whella.

Thanks Lord dexter, but it didnt work...wouldnt that only work in a script anyway? Still, I cannot get the poll in the main page. People who have placed it in the ultimate.cgi - did any of you alter the instructions? confused

Sponsored Links
Rich,
It depends on the path to your poll directory. Here is what I have in my cplinks.html:

Polls/Survey

This works because the base url is already entered.

Give this a try, mine is based on my poll directory being UNDER the cgi directory for the UBB. If you go to the site I have listed you will see that the UBB is NOT in the cgi-bin, but in it's own folder UNDER the cgi-bin...then the poll directory id UNDER that. (did that make sense?) (scratching head)

On the Ultimate issue...there are some things you have to tidy up...IIRC, and I'll have a look.

(shaking head sise to side because I see your problem) smile

Rich, I just looked in my Ultimate.cgi, and it made me recall that the code that you are told to put there is missing one thing. Now, I don't use the control panel extension, but I do have the Admin feature linked into the CP for ease of maintenance. Here is what I have:

Code
code:

Please note that you DO NOT HAVE the "require 'UltPoll.setup';" line in your code above.

You might also need to make sure the columns are sorted out...I do not list the moderators on the main page, so I did what the instructions told me to do WRT that issue and had no problems. Whew!! LMK how it goes!!

#127241 09/05/2001 11:15 PM
I re-installed the poll today, with the Ultimate.cgi and CP extensions, and it works great! I did not deviate from the instructions at all, except I changed the path to my UBBPoll directory. smile

Sorry about that trin, I forgot that it didn't need the full URL for it. Anyway, good you got it to work. The Poll hack must be the most hardest hack to install, so many people need support. I installed it easy though.

Hey vipermad, it works! http://tropicalfish.site5.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi Excellent, thanks all, thats much better...just the code was a bit screwy. The template doesnt work properly though - the borders dont work, and theres no link back to the original main page, but at least it works. Thanks for all your help guys! laugh [Linked Image]

Rich,
GOOD JOB!!! The next thing you might want to consider is to have the username and password filled in for your users. This will work if they are registered users, have cookies enabled, and set. This way they won't have to enter all that info and they can just vote. If they are not registered, or don't have a cookie, the fields stay blank. LMK if you need help with this...but it isn't hard (shoot, I DID it LOL). Congrats!!

Sure Tony, that would be a useful addition, if they could store the info, would be great! smile As long as the "log off" script removes the data though.

Rich,
You'd have to play with it to be sure. I don't use the log-off bit, but I would imagine it just removes the cookie info...which is all that is being used. Hang on and I'll find what I did. It is quite basic.

Find this:
Code
code:

and below it add:
Code
code:

Then down where the form data is look for this:
Code
code:
and make it
Code
code:
and then find:
Code
code:
and make it:
Code
code:

It could likely be "prettied up", but it works. Now, if the "log-off" bit works by clearing that info away...so the next time you come back you are greeting with the need to login to check PM's and such...you should be all set! smile

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: Vipermad ]

Thanks vipermad...but...can you tell me what script I should be hacking?

One more question, are there limitless poll answers? I've got 8 in my latest poll....the final selection is - "20 + years" although people have selected it, the votes stay at zero....Can we only use 7 selections in any one poll, or do you think the + has affacted the poll itself?

Sorry!! smile You would be editing UBBPoll.pl

I do not know of any limit. If it were me, I'd try it without the "+" sign just to see wherre the limit is. Good job so far!! Let us know if you find anything out about any limit!!

No there is no limit to the number of decisions you can put on a poll, The bad thing is that if you have too many the main page will take a while to load.

#127250 09/09/2001 10:17 AM
Excellent vipermad, that now works fine, and the logoff script removes the password too smile I also hacked the poll.cgi, so that every single page also has got a link back to the main forums. The template still doesnt work, but never mind. Cheers! smile

I suppose it must be the + symbol then, because it certainly wont show any votes. I have the dash symbol "-" there in a few options, that seems to work...with no spaces between digits/number. But anyway, dont bother adding + with spaces, it wont count the vote.

I'm a little slow....fill me in on the "template", what is it, should I already know!! LOL We CAN get it to work!!! smile

Well, guess the UBB doesnt really use a proper template, but you see the border in my site? And the UBB image, links, all should be created on the fly....but the poll does not do that. I can see some HTML, that should create the border....but for some reason, it wont do it. The code is very messy (mostly because my headers/footers arent that clean probably!).

The quiz does have a proper template, uses "template.html" every new quiz is created under that format. Have a look at the quiz btw vipermad, its not a UBB hack, but its a pretty nifty script, and very easy to install....although its not incoporated into the members.cgi etc.

hi guys, was curious what version of poll you have been talking about?

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: cyberspring ]

The latest version, 2.1b.

DKK Offline
I know this is a rather old thread, but I just installed this hack (UNIX) and had many of the same problems as I've seen before. After many hours of playing, it finally works!

Here's a couple of hints (learn from my mistakes!):
  • The instructions for inserting the #PUSH into Ultimate.cgi are CORRECT, even if you have installed other hacks, such as PM or ?Online.
  • To incorporate the poll into Ultimate.cgi, you must modify cpanel2.cgi file. Don't forget to enter the paths for the poll directories under General Settings!
  • If you can run your poll stand-alone (../poll.cgi) then you are half-way home. There is no reason you should have to put the poll cgi files in the cgi-bin to get it to work - you need to verify that all the paths are correctly set (see below).
  • If after inserting the code and uploading Ultimate.cgi you find that it "chops off" the bottom of the main page (no forum legend, website link, copyrights, etc.), then your paths are not completely set up correctly. Go to the Control Panel, and enter the absolute paths under General Settings. (Dopey me forgot to do this after editing cpanel2.cgi)

Hope this helps.

svr Offline
Actually, I have had multiple probs with this hack. One being the chopping off of the lower part of the text when Ultimate.cgi is used.

Also, I have all my UBB cgi files directly in the /cgi-bin directory (no special directory inside it). However the instructions for the hack assume a dedicated directory for UBB cgi files.

I created a directory Ubbpoll in /cgi-bin and extracted all the files there, set my perms up. Still I got a 500 error message when I first ran admin.cgi.

So I moved the files outside inside the /cgi-bin directory, and this time the admin.cgi worked. However I couldn't get it to create polls or something like that.

Any tips would be very helpful. Thanks. I am using 5.45c.

So, as a "stand-alone" you couldn't get it to work? Simple questions, I know....but they need to be asked. smile Are you sure you uploaded in ASCII? Permissions are spot-on? Give us a link and we can have a look. It DOES work, and it DOES work with 5.45c, so have patience. smile Lets get it working as a stand-alone...then we'll tackle integrating it into Ultimate, sound good?

Svr, Did you install the cp addon for it? Make sure you have done that because that is where the paths for the directorys of the poll are placed in. Make sure for Admin.cgi that you have CHmodded it to 755 and have the absolute paths for the poll directorys where it asks in functions.pl.

#127259 10/03/2001 10:21 PM
Hmmm, that is interesting Lord. The only thing I added in my Control Panel was a link to the admin.cgi...nothing else. I had thought that was a large stumbling block at the time, so I hard coded the paths in....I'll have to re-visit the code later tonight. smile

#127260 10/03/2001 10:51 PM
Yeah you can add the paths manually in the files. (Ubbpoll.setup). That file is where the paths from the CP go in. Also the CP addon sets most of the paths up in all the files, makes it easier.

#127261 10/06/2001 12:36 AM
svr Offline
Here is the prob I am having installing this hack (the only one I haven't been able to install!).

The instructions say, change $ubb_path to your ubb path to the cgi files.

In my case the UBB cgi files (Ultimate.cgi, etc.) are in the /home/test/cgi-bin directory (absolute path). NOT in a separate directory within /cgi-bin directory as the install directions say.

So the $ubb_path = '/home/test/cgi-bin';

Then if you open admin.cgi it says:

require 'functions.pl';
require "UltPoll.setup";
require "$ubb_path/UltBB.setup";
require "$ubb_path/Styles.file"; require "$ubb_path/ubb_library.pl";

I am not a perl expert, but it seems that the require syntax requires either ' or " (or both will work?).

However when I run the script (perms are set right as per instructions) it gives a 500 Internal Server error.

I made sure btw to upload the files in ascii mode.

So what am I doing wrong here? Thanks.

Have you done the UBB path required in functions.pl? Also the paths that are needed in Ultpoll.setup?

#127263 10/06/2001 12:06 PM
Dont touch the UBB poll, its just a peice of **** . Not only is the poll itself (if u get it working) is buggy as hell, but now I have found out, that suddenly the whole thing can corrupt it seems - http://tropicalfish.site5.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi Have a look, you get the old nonsense u may see when u try to install the crappy thing - "The members.cgi file could not be opened because No such file or directory" etc (when it clearly is in my FTP). The hack isnt in the database right? Thats because its absolute dog droppings, and should be avoided like the plague.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63