Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hi all...after installing the poll (thank vipermad and all smile ) I must admit, im disappointed by the results -

Half the time the votes dont even register in the main page, i can see the "comments" - but just the vital ingredient - lol, the votes just dont appear. Thats very useful :rolleyes: ;
You ant even edit one of the polls - looks like the author forgot to finish the hack presumably;
No links to the main page in any poll page (gotta do that yourself);
The template doesnt work, my background doesnt come up, not even the borders - even "online" has got that in it.

You could get away with 3 out of 4 problems in it - but that the votes dont even count sometimes...whats the point when the poll wont even work properly? I appreciate the author of the poll - good idea - but I suggest you dont bother installing it, its just s total bug fest in my poll anyway frown

Sponsored Links
Yeah I agree with you, I have seen alot of problems with UBB Poll v2.1b hack. I think that was supposed to be the final version but still it had a few errors in it.

Prob I noticed:
When you go to the "View comments" page, half the comments don't show up. The only thing that works is the poll voting.

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
When I use to run it I never had any problems with it what soever, with the exception that sometimes the bar graph didnt load the images.

I can't afford a good signature editor frown
I didn't have many probs either. The only thing that I didn't like is how you can't edit a poll and need to make a new one to correct the mistake. The UBB poll hack has to be the one hack that gives hackers trouble. Dunno why but it does.

Well, I dont know what coding you have got - but my poll sucks, its absolutely crap - in every poll, some results show up, some dont, even know yopu can see some "Comments" - Im going to find a decent poll from the net. Just look at this one - http://tropicalfish.site5.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi look at the comments. Its a total bug fest frown

Sponsored Links
OK, I went to the fish site and looked at their comments....didn't see anything wrong with them. Maybe I'm missing the problem since mine does exactly what I wanted it to do. Sure, I guess if you wanted the comments and the poll pages (as stand-alones) to mirror the appearance of your boarrd, you would have a bit of work to do to add all the code that is missing....but that is easy-peasy (just need some work in poll.cgi). Rich, if you don't have any luck finding other polls...come on back and I'll (we'll) see if we can't help you a little better! smile

I can give you the readme I used Rich9. I used the NT one because I was on a NT server. Maybe the poll works better on NT than Unix, unless your on a NT server.

Hi vipermad - maybe i didnt explain it properly, the comments are fine, but if you look, there are 4 options...one of them doesnt count the votes (Traditional Method) although the "comments" show up. So the poll is not working properly at all, unfortunately frown Out of the 5 polls I have added - 4 of them, one of the options isnt counting the votes.

Hi LDexter - I'm using a Unix system (AFAIK)....

Ahhh, well spotted!! OK, I am blind!! I double checked and of course, you are correct. Personally, I think the () in the poll throw it off...but I can NOT prove that...yet. I'll keep a close watch on my polls and see what happens. Sad to see it not work for you. Hopefully it is working for me!! smile Let us know if you fins anything else out there!!

Rich 9,

Well it worked fine for me on a windows NT server, maybe some code in the Unix readme or UBB poll files isn't right and is causing this problem...

Sponsored Links
Nope...Rich and I have been "tag-teaming" this thing and I actually found a problem on my board. I had one "choice" that was "Other?". In the comments there were a couple people who had clearly choosen "Other?", but on the graph in Ultimate.cgi the count for "Other?" was zero. So, what I did, was I FTP'd up, downloaded the data file for that poll, and I edited out the "?". I then re-uploaded and did a test (chosing "Other?") and it showed on Ultimate.

Obviously there is a slight code problem with some PERL operators, causing some minor issues. I don't have time to sort it out right now...but this should shed some light on what is happening. smile

PS. How did your tests go Rich!!!???? smile

Late add....There was a comment in some earlier thread concerning the poll hack...it was about the percentages for the poll not adding up to 100%. Well..I think this is why.

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: Vipermad ]

I cannt edir the data file - wish i could frown This si what i get -
200 Type set to I.
COMMAND:> PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode
COMMAND:> STOR 7.data
550 7.data: Permission denied
ERROR:> File error

Anything I can do? Im using CuteFTP....no matter wat permission I use, on the poll directory or the data file, it chucks meoff. what the bejesus am i doing wrong? frown

Rich,
Download it first, then edit it, then re-upload. If you do not change the file name it SHOULD keep the permissions it had.

I have tried it...in fact, i have seen that although I CHMOD the permissions, and it says that it happens - it doesnt frown Just stays on 644 , .data, .comments, etc, no matter what. I DL, change it, and then UL the data file, and it wont let me to it. What FTP programme are u using Tony?

I use LeapFTP version 2.6.2.470

Why won't it let you download it to your PC? Very odd!!

I certainly could DL to any other directory - just the poll one....its set up in a certain way, so no-one can mess around with it. Is it a freeware this LeapFTP? Perhaps my server wont let me change certain things .... confused Wish i could change the files Tony I really do, but cant do it. Anyone else ever had a trrouble with chamge the files in the poll directory?

Why don't you try putting the poll cgi files in your CGI directory and not have a seperate directory for them and just make a poll directory inside your CGI directory.

yes, I have dexter, goes like - cgi-bin/Ubbpoll/data/poll ...but wont let me do it.....

No don't use a Ubbpoll directory. The CGI poll files would be in cgi-bin/ and the data directory would be cgi-bin/data/

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63