Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ok guys, (Allen, Charles, Cal)

I am a disappointed in your lack of support for Version 5.XX Since the upgrade to the new look and feel of UBB Dev.

I have been registered here for some time, and a lurker even longer then that. I was pulled away from ubbhackers.com because of your large database, and great support for 5.XX.

I must say that since you moved over to the new layout and look, very little attention was spent porting over all of the old 5.XX hacks. Most of the links to instructions are not served from your domain, thus they are broken links by now. Secondly lack of discriptions as to what the hacks truly do and what versions they support.

I have customized many of my boards beyond what was truly needed. I know that I could just go to the database and start reading the hacks to figure if they are compatible or not. However, I wish that everytime I upgrade and install new hacks I didn't have to do this. Just simply state what versions the hacks work on. I am sure that it would improve the popularity.

I currently run a little over 13 boards, 7 UBB 5 vBulletin. I am very unimpressed with vBulletin, not so much because the latest verison is buggy as hell (and it is!), but because they have lack of documentation for all of their hacks, they do not currently allow a site to house information about hacks as InfoPop has allowed you.

I wish that someone in the staff would delegate some responsibility to go back through the 5.XX section of the database and clean up the links. Specify more of a description about what the hack does. I don't readily know the difference between Jimbo's Avatars, compared to Ultra Avatars. Those differences are important in my struggle to decide on what hack will be compatible with 5.47e, as the last time I upgraded I forgot which one it was, and my backup .html page that had my links to all of the old hacks is nothing but 404 errors since your move.

Long story short.... Take some time, go through the 5.XX Section and clean it up. Your database is what fuels this site. I love UBB (other then the fact that it takes way to much CPU to power it), but I am getting discouraged away from Infopop's product due to the lack of support your staff seems to have to it's "roots".

If you question if the old hacks are dead and you only support 6.XX now, I run 302 sites currently for Infogrames Inc, and Atari. I have a huge influence as a Senior Producer, I would provide links to ubbdev.com in gratitude for your help, provided that you helped your members.

In closing I must appoligize for this terrible mess of spelling, it is late and am too frustrated to reread this document. If you would like to respond personally instead of replying feel free to email me at [email protected]

Best Regards,

Kyle "Pezman" Peschel
Senior Web Producer
Infogrames Inc.
http://us.infogrames.com

Sponsored Links
Well first of all, the Admins aren't the only supporters around here. Members (Like Myself) and Mods of this forum do too. The Main helpers around here and Me, BassTeQ, Vipermad and sometimes NBaustin. The Database was fixed a while ago and as it says on the top of the forum, report any broken links and Allen will fix them. But as far as the support, there isn't much of a community using v5 and helping here anymore. (Lots use v5 still though). So you will need to be a bit patient.

Lord Dextor,

My comments are by no means a reflection of the members of the site trying to assist others with the same 100 questions about installation.

I am targeting the actual lack of information in the database, not in these forums. It is something beyond your control (unless you have posting rights over in the database).

I admire your willingness to help other members for nothing in return.

Well, if you want what version that hack works on it should say in the Install document. If it doesn't well I guess they forgot or didn't know they had to put it there.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Dexter,

You are missing the point.

He would like to see the database appended to include a description of what the hack does and what versions of UBBâ„¢ it works on.

He already knows how to download the hacks and read the documentation. The intent is to make the hacks he wants easier to find, and to be able to differentiate between different versions of similar mods.

-Tacks

Sponsored Links
svr Offline
I checked infogrames.com it has vbulletin installed... where are the ubb boards ? wink

Yeap vBulletin is what we are now using at Infogrames because ubb can't handle that many members online at once. At any given minute we have about 190 people on the forums, and I had to call Infopop last year and tell them that we were going to switch that board because the cgi files were just randomly corrupting files.

UBB Boards (some are broken, which I am back here trying to rehack the board)...

www.gamegossip.com
www.aliensversuspredator.com
www.mysmilies.com
www.quake3world.com

quote:
Ahhh, I missed that. Thanks for filling me in.

Well that would be a good idea, saves you having to download and look try the hack to see if it works.

quote:
Lord, I am unsure what you mean by the statement that there aren't that many people using 5.xx UBB. I am going to assume that you mean there aren't that many who use it AND post here...instead of just plain ol' there aren't that many people still using it. smile

I don't have a whole bunch of free time, I do several boards as well (Viper Club, Prowler Online), but I would gladly pitch in to create a WORLD CLASS support area. Info**** has basically written off any 5.xx users (I have, for all intents and purposes, read just that on their site...I could quote, but I won't). It is frustrating that their mentality is that people should upgradde if they want support.

All you Admin/Mods....you've likely heard this before, but here I go anyway!! smile If you want help working on 5.xx stuff just let me know! smile

Pezman...I think we're all with you, and this is all friendly. I KNOW how hard it is to just get my own boards organized the way I want...as I'm sure you do...so hopefully we will be invited to step up and help. Take it easy!

quote:
Im not sure....but is this the only database that infopop lets someone offer hacks?

Sponsored Links
i agree smile the ubb 5 database needs a bit of a face lift, i know when i used 5.xx on my main site it was a ***** tryin to find the "right" hack. There are many people still on ubb 5 and that prefer ubb 5 to v6. thus its important to make it easy for the people on v5 to find hacks to suit there needs. that will keep them happy and comeing back for more, who knows we could acully see more hackers makein new stuff for v5 or porting some v6 hacks smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
tony, contact me on pm please

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:
Yeah thats what I meant. Thats why I said lots of people still use v5 but there are limited people that use v5 and post here and help ppl.

PM sent. smile

We are understaffed. Simple as that.
We try to stay on top of new UBB versions. Simple as that.

We
ARE
UNDERSTAFFED.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63