Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Can anyone verify that this script works? The link to the demo is broken. I have done everything that the instructions said and still can't get it to work.

I changed the path to perl in the .cgi file that was included in the zip. I kept the default variables as they were. I then try to access the cgi file using my web browser, and it just takes me to a blank page.

Anyone have experience with this modification? The file is located here:

https://www.ubbdev.com/db/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000048

Thanks in advance. Running UBB 5.45a.

Sponsored Links
neuro...I once used one of the "Change Username" hacks...but it became too much of a PITA because (if I recall correectly) none of the hacks change OLD messages....so the old username shows as "unregistered".

I went with Carnell Utilities for many other reasons...but the "Sweep and Swap" works GREAT for changing usernames!! IT goes through and changes ALL instances of the old username and updates the threads!! Brilliant utility to have! Whats more, all username change requests have to go through me, so I have a record of not only who IS who...but who WAS who!!

I'll have a look at the script in question later, possibly, but IMHO you will be MUCH happier with the great Carnell Utilities! Oh, and there is NO hacking to do....basically upload the new script, CHMOD to 755 and run it. You can be cool and add a link to it in the Control Panel if you like...or you can just bookmark it...whatever works for you!! smile

Thank you VERY much, I didn't know about that "unregistered" stuff, I don't think I'd want that.

I'm off to check out Carnell Utilities right now... looking forward to it, it sounds like just what I need. And easy to install too.

Thanks Vipermad! smile

OMG, Carnell Utilities ROCKS!! I wish I had this when I had to mass move threads a while back...

Yes, Carnell Utilities is one of the better things to hit 5.xx!! Best run late at night with low users...just to be safe, and just my opinion obviously. Makes things SO much easier! Glad it fit the bill for you! smile

Sponsored Links
Yeah I loved Carnell Utilities. It's a very useful thing. smile

p2k Offline
Well, if you still want a particular user to have a new name without having to reregister and still keep all their old messages intact with no "unregistered" as their name, do the following.

Open up ubb_library2.pl

Find:

Code
code:

After that, add:

Code
code:

All you're doing is fooling those reading the messages and UBB into thinking it's a new person. They will still have to log into your forum with their old name, but any posts they make will be posted using the "New_Name_of_User" that you define.

peetwokewl4u!

Uhh, thats what Carnell does. No coding required...just run the script, enter the OLD name, enter the NEW name, and Carnell goes through and updates EVERYTHING. Did I miss something?

Also...where do you define these variables of Name_of_User and New_Name_of_User?

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Vipermad ]

p2k Offline
You define them yourself when you add the code in manually. So one would type Viperhand where "Name_of_User" is and type Viperfoot where "New_Name_of_User" is.

Carnell! BAH! You let something do something for you rather than code it yourself, you get lazy and rusty! wink

p2k

Well people find Carnell much easier then editing the files. tipsy

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63