Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#12905 02/11/2003 3:38 PM
Would anyone know the font name that is used for the following icons that are listed in the database? ( https://www.ubbdev.com/ubbart/buttons_2.shtml )

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
N/M

#12907 02/14/2003 10:04 AM
Looks like Serpentine Light!
I'm not sure!

smile

#12908 02/14/2003 11:41 AM
According to the https://www.ubbdev.com/ubbart/buttons_2.shtml page, Stilgar has edited these graphics. I emailed him, asking the same question and his reply was that a font wasn't used at all. That the characters were placed on the buttons using a paint program and adding one pixel at a time.

I am currently using these icons on my board, and had to edit some of them to customize their look. Unfortunately, I also had to edit the characters one pixel at a time. I was hoping to find a font that closely resembled it to create several new graphic sets to go along with different color schemes.

Thanks for the suggestion J.o.h, I will look into that font and see if it is similar. I have found a couple of other fonts that are close but none have that same look. It would certainly be easier to use a font than to add characters a pixel at a time. If I come across another font that's close I'll post it here.

#12909 02/14/2003 11:50 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Hey Greg... drop me another email if you don't find a font you like. How many buttons are you making? Creating the font pixel by pixel isn't that hard and it doesn't take too much time once you get rolling.

Sponsored Links
I almost have the entire alphabet of characters with the buttons I currently have. I was thinking of creating the missing characters, adding it to what I already have, and keeping that as a template. Copying and pasting is a lot easier than drawing each letter one by one.

The unique thing I like about this particular button type face is the characters are shaded, with more shading to the right and bottom of each character. In this case, white letters with black shading on a charcoal background. Gives a nice contrast between the text and background color.

I'm going to make a set of 24 different graphics in all for my board. I'll have a main set which I'll keep as a template and make additional sets, but just change the colors to match any color schemes of the board. They are as follows:
  • 1 - BBTitle (approximately 286 x 82 pixels)
  • 6 - Graphics for some particular Categories (either 24 x 24 or 32 x 32 pixels). Possibly additional graphics for every Category in the future.
  • 10 - Navigational / Administrative buttons (approximately 102 x 21 pixels), similar to the ones posted above on this thread.
  • 7 - Post icons (approximately 15 pixels high and varying widths) for $ProfileLink, $EmailString, $EditLink, Search$Number, $ThisIPWording, $ThisHome, and $DirectReply.

I am going to keep them all in GIF format, since some of them are animated GIF's. I'm not rushing to get these completed, as I don't have much free time right now. I just like the idea of having several sets of graphics that are unique to my board. This will make it easy to change the look of the board by simply uploading a new Styles.file and the different set of graphics.

I started playing around with different colors for the characters and uploaded an image of 14 different color combinations. The images are saved as bmp and gif formats.

[img]http://www.reloadbench.com/photo/alphabet.bmp[/img]
alphabet.bmp 142KB

[Linked Image]
alphabet.gif 8.9KB

Feel free to use these if you like to create your own buttons/icons.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63