Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
well guys, i come to the experts with a problem.

i am on the administrative team of a website that runs a ubb as our main feature. we recently bought out another site of the same nature, and i am baffled on how to merge the two member folders together. i know that their member numbers are probably the same as the ones on our board.

if anyone can help at all it is appreciated cuz this is all going to be done on sunday (God willing).... thnx in advance for your help!

- MindBender

Sponsored Links
Developer
Developer
interesting dilema.

if u know some stuff about coding, you could try putting the members from the site you just aquired on ure server in a dir like '/members/new' and the coding a script that looks at ure existing member files and then one by one takes the members from ure '/members/new' folder and merges them into your existing board, renaming them, moving them to ure '/members' dir, and inserting their info into the memberlist.cgi file.

this probably doesn't help all that much, but maybe you can get someone to code it for you. i'd do it, but i don't have the time, 3 big projects due in the next couple weeks before xmas break. not to mention all the work i get every night for homework. and then there are the tests... i'm up every night till 12am working on school stuff (im taking a break right now btw in case anyone reads this and looks at my posting time).

thnx dpk, its good input... but sites due on sunday...

... so if anyone knows how to do this or has any ideas... please send more my way

*readies himself to start coding*

well i did this once and we had to do it the old hard way, heh. i just renamed all the member files. say i had 99 members on my forums and 100 form the other, member 1 on the other forums became member 100. it took awhile but it worked

I just done this a few days ago for a member database with 600 and another with 500.

the problem you face is someone having the same name(public and user), so i wrote thsi script:

Code
code:

i have old members dir ina folder called "new" and another in the folder called "old".

run that script, and it will highlight any problems, because i didn't ahve many i didn't bother writing a script that sorted out the problems, i just entered each files and changed it (only had 30 or so problems, and in them rename the username to username-old (same with public name)).

Now once you have got this far, i copyed over the files, and renamed them, using flash file renamer (http://www.rlvision.com/flashren/about.asp) rename the new ubb members from the very last member number of the old members (treating it like you are adding the new members the old members), and say you old member went from 1 to 437, you would rename the new ones from 438.

Then you have a members list problem, so i wrote this below:

Code
code:

That produces a new list of members, then just copy and taste it into memberslist.cgi

And now mine is fine and running with no problems.

It took about 5 mins for the first script to finish, and that was runnign off my computer, my best advice is downlaod both member files, and install perl on your computer and run them.

Any problems, or need me to explain a bit more how i did it, just say here and i will try and get something organised.

[ 11-30-2001 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Andrew ]

Sponsored Links
awwwwww man.... i cant get this to work for the life of me... please get ahold of me on aim at o0MindBender0o (big 0's are zeros)... i appreciate the help

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63