Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
For Unix based servers with tar and gunzip installed.

Created by Ace of Space.

Updated by me. I emailed him and got no response. His link to the files is down, so...

Here goes:

Demo: none

Download - Multihack or Text Instructions

03-16-02 - 0.1.4 changes
  • Added Other Directory backup, this allows you to back up your whole site, not just your ubb! (configurable in wordlets mod)
  • xhtml'd files
  • fixed backup naming convention to prevent errors ecountered with backup.cgi.(date).tar.gz

Upgrade instructions included in text instructions

Sponsored Links
2 questions:

1. Where do i upload this file "Online_backup.mhp" to?
2. I got this error when select to Online backup: I don't know what template 'cp_backup' is

ยป Use your browser's back button to return.

Do know why?

1. The mhp file is the multihack file, you don't upload it anywhere. If you use multihack, this file is used to install the hack.

2. Did you upload cp_backup.pl to your non-cgi/Templates folder?

After further review cp_backup.pl chmod 644
cp_backup.cgi chmod 755, I will update the instructions later. Make sure you uploaded the two files to the appropriate places. Also you must be on a Unix server - Not NT. Also tar and gunzip must be accessible from your user account(must be in the path).

thanks. Let me try it again tonite.

after i CHMOD cp_backup.pl to 644, it work.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Cool, glad you got it working.

Moderator / Developer
Moderator / Developer
nice work. might be usefull to add a root dir too. ie: if your cgi-bin and ubb are both in the /home/test/site/ dir, then backup from that dir...

jordo, I'll look into adding a forth choice that will let you put in the path. thanks for the suggestion.

bump

just want to see if this reappeared when I bump it??

Ok this is wierd, I could not find this post in the forum, I went to my profile and found it and bumped it and now it shows up again. I am only seeing one page on the forum, its almost like it was on page 2 but I couldn't get to it.

Would one of the forum moderators or the admins care to explain whats going on? Is it just me or are other people experiencing this phenomenea?

you are not the onlyone haveing this prob i am haveing the same prob with this as well.
last night i was trying to find SwitchID and i could not find it so i asked Greg Hard about it and he just bumped it back up for me.
it is showing one page but i think it shoudl be more like two.

Sponsored Links
Updated to version 0.1.4 to fix bug/problem with cgi backup name, naming convention now is backuptype.backup.date.tar.gz

i.e. cgi directory backed up on 3/16/02 would be named - cgi.backup.3.16.02.tar.gz

Added Other directory backup with path changable in Modification Wordlets. (this was jordo's request, this one can be dangerous if the path is not set right and your host does not have permissions set correctly, you could use this to backup stuff you are not supposed to, but I would highly recommend against that. Your host will eventually catch you and kick you off thier server if you do! The host has logs that shows who is doing what, and it would be easy to track you down, so please use this as intended and only backup your data!)

XHTML'd cp_backup.pl and cp_backup.cgi files.

Let me know if you find any bugs

well if thats the case then thats not good. If your on a pro host that has many sites you could get all the sites. That is not good at all.

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
eXtremeTim, this hack doesn't open new 'windows' for you, you could always do it using a SIMPLE perl script. It's like that you can change the variables path in UBB's configuration settings to the other person's path... But UNIX hosts almost always block it, and I think it's also usually blocked in win2k ones.

I know that but he shouldn't have posted it giving users ideas/ wink

I kinda debated that myself, but then I wanted to warn people that they could do this if they messed up the path. If the users really wanted to do this, they would have found a way anyway.

I agree, it might give a couple people that wouldn't have normally done it, an easy way to be bad, but I'm not the morality police, I am just providing a function someone asked for.

Actually after looking further, I was only allowed to backup stuff that my host had the wrong permissions on or were not private directories, what was in the tarball was only stuff that I had read permissions on which was my directory and a couple others, so if your host is on the ball, you won't be able to back anything your not supposed too.

Veteran
Veteran
Any way of selecting multiple options for the backup in order to have everything in one file ?

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
well what you can do is change the "Other"path to the ROOT of your site, so your COMPLETE site is backed up wink i do it that way, but i have also all files in my UBB CGI-BIN ! so i can just select cgi-bin and i got the complete UBB backed up!

And MrStormyNights thanks for this GREAT hack, i needed it once, when i completly F*****D my board up.. laugh and i have another sugestion;

make a new feature, so that people can upload their backup and that the script unpacks it, and FIRST backs the current board up, then place all the files in the archieve to the place where normally the board is and CHMOD all the files.. since this is the biggest problem of setting a back-up back..

Thats a cool suggestion, and If I have the time I may do it later. If someone else wants to try to add that capability feel free too. I don't get picky about folks improving on my mods. Especially when they are originally someone elses I improved on in the first place.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
thank you, this is about to come in real handy laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Coder
Coder
2 problems:

1) if I change the other path to my site root (absolute path) I get only cgi-bin and ubb in my backupfile

2) If I try to backup non-cgi several dirs are missing. I have Forum1 up to Forum32 and get only Forum 1, 10, 14-19, 2 and 20 in my donwloaded file.

I use UBB 6.2.1.x

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Does anybody have a working link or the hack himself for me?

Thanks
d-talk

Webmaster of d-talk & Kabel-Forum.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63