Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Name: Application Forms v2.1.0 Beta

Author: Corona

Description: Creates a fully customized form (textboxes, checkboxes, radio buttons and select lists) to display on a website. Submitted form data is added to a new thread in a setable forum. Form records can be managed with built-in functions by moderators and administrators. Application Forms communicate to the original form submitter via configurable email messages.

Requirements: Sticky Threads by Jordo

Tested On: UBB v6.2.1 with Sticky Threads Hack v1.6 by Jordo

Thanks: Jordo for producing and maintaining Sticky Threads, Bookie for providing the buttons, and all UBBDev Hack Authors

Purpose: Application Forms is an add-on to the Ultimate Bulletin Board (UBB) which enables a website to display a fully customizable input form ( Example Screenshot of a Custom Form ). Administrators create a custom form through the UBB's control panel interface. After a custom form is created, the form is displayed on a website and accessed by an end user to request and gather data. Forms can be displayed in a shtml page by using SSI, or as a standalone page using the UBB's style templates.

When data is entered into the custom Form and submitted by an end user, the data entered into the form is posted to a new thread in any selectable UBB message forum -- the data is placed into a record and neatly displayed to users who have the appropriate access permissions to view the forum. An optional customizable email message is sent to the user who submitted the form (which by default) indicates that the form has been recieved successfully. A preview of the data entered into the form is also included in the reply email.

Admin functions are provided which give an administrator or moderator various automated functions that can be executed on any form. Custom email messages are shipped to the individual who submitted a form when an admin or mod performs admin functions on the submitted form. Admin functions provide various scripting options which can sticky/unsticky a thread, grant or deny the form submitter private access to a forum, provide status reports, edit any submitted form, email a custom message, etc... Forms can be managed by moderators with a set of features included with this release.

This release is appropriate for gathering data with an Application type form for a game guild, private club, or private member organization. While this release can be used to display any custom form that is desired, and performs varying tasks for various status settings, the included admin functions may not be appropriate for some situations. Admin functions are not required to be used, (forms will work without using the admin functions), but the admin functions in this release may not be appropriate for various organizations. Please read more about the admin functions for further information.

Notes: While this hack is stable enough for production use, This hack hooks into member and forum files. If a bug occurs, it has the potential to destroy member files and forum files. Although the likelyhood of such a bug occuring is small, this is a beta hack. Please backup all forum files before installing.

Upgrading: This version is the predecessor of Application Forms v1.0-v1.2 for Everquest Guilds. While this version is no longer specifically for Everquest guilds, a custom form template for everquest guilds is included in this version. Version 1.0-1.2 should no longer be used due to the unresolved permissions bug in v1.0-v1.2.

Screenshots, Information and Download: http://test.altereddestiny.net/AppformScreenshots/

Demo: http://test.altereddestiny.net/Joining_AD/joining_ad.shtml

Future Plans:
  • Rewrite admin functions to be customizable and provide a proper fit with any type of input form (paypal, credit card orders, trouble ticket systems, software request and shipment upon acceptance, etc...).

Support Questions? Feel free to post your support problems here, or contact me via email.

Sponsored Links
Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
Oh, for 6.2.. Excellent, once I install sticky threads I will be putting this up! Great Job!! laugh

I REALLY like this mod idea, however it's requiremtns make it unfeasable for 6.2.1 users, due to Sticky Threads not being compatible at this time.

See this thread for those bugs.

The Sticky Threads issue was resolved on that thread, so on to the fun part smile

OK, hit a snag. The hacks went perfectly, all the text matches.

However, I get the following error when trying to select 'Application Form Settings' from the primary settings menu:

An error has occured:

CGI-BIN/vars_appform.cgi: syntax error at (eval 12) line 32, at EOF

I don't even have this file, and it's not mentioned in your instructions?

Sponsored Links
hello bglynn,

Enter the control panel -- select application form settings, set the options appropriately and click submit. vars_appform.cgi will be installed automatically.

Currently, im not sure if this version is compatable with sticky threads v1.6. I know Jordo changed around the sticky thread hack -- and i haven't had time to examine the differences. It will be about 4 days before i gain enough time to check out sticky threads 1.6 and perform adjustments to the application forms hack in order to make the two hacks compatable.

Trying to access that menu is exactly where the error occurs. You have reffernce in your files to some others that are not there, such as the one mentioned. I'll look for your updaes.

I got the following errors after installing.
1. The file was not automatically created when I pressed submit. I manually created this file and was able to complete the Applicant Form Settings
2. Same as 1, I manually created this file and was able to proceed to the next step.
3. ?? OK, you got me this time, how do I fix this error? I tried deleting the Template and still could not get past this error. Any help appreciated. I do have a lot of hacks(~40) on the board, but I really dont think that is the problem.

Link to WEWFHF Efed - Running UBB 6.2.1

An error has occured:

Can't open '/home/wewfhfc/public_html/cgi-bin/roleplay/vars_appform.cgi'.

Permission was denied - please ask the administrator to check the permissions on that file/directory!

The exact error returned by the operating system is:
Permission denied

An error has occured:

Can't open '/home/wewfhfc/public_html/cgi-bin/roleplay/vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi'.

Permission was denied - please ask the administrator to check the permissions on that file/directory!

Permission denied

WEWFHF F'n Hardcore EFED Applicant Form Template -- Error
ERROR! ERROR!
The Worksheet already contains a Template!
Continuing would cause the Worksheet to be overwritten.
Application Forms Halted!

I'm at the same point. Creating those two files as blank let me get into the screens, but when I went to load the new blank template into the worksheet, that last error came up.

Upgraded my board to 6.2 , now i get this error after i redid the hack..

No application profile found for application number: '000001'
(Backtrace: : ubb_applicants_misc.cgi:91 -> sub main::Tracer)
(Backtrace: : ubb_applicants.cgi:144 -> sub main::OpenAppProfile)
(Backtrace: : ultimatebb.cgi:871 -> sub main::perform_application_function)

Sponsored Links
Any word, man?

And I installed the hack go to the CP part of it, and go to the App. Fourm Settings, and it gives me this screen

Applicants Form Control Panel v2.0.1 © 2002 Corona
Applicant Form Hack v2.0.1 © 2002 for UBB6 by Corona

and thats it, no options to choose from nothing, I knew this hack was to go to be true :rolleyes:

~Speedy~

PS

I do need help laugh So if u know what is wrong reply laugh !

~Your Super Speedy Member!~
AIM: zXzXMikeXzXz
MSN: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
My apologies for the lack of replies. Im in the middle of moving to a new residence, and just recieved a telephone line to connect to the internet. I still need a few more days to settle in to my new location and get everything squared away. I should be able to look at the code starting tomorrow and no later then the 14th of this week.

If you are experiencing problems with the hack, please send me an email at: [email protected] with a way to contact you -- either email, icq, aim, and a time to contact. I'll start with the error of vars_appform.cgi not being created, and examine the other problems indicated in the above posts.

quote:
Originally posted by Raichu Babai:

Raichu, rebuild you applicant files -- option is located in the control panel under the maintenance options.

rebuilt and same error

quote:
rebuilt and same error

ok, open applicants.cgi (file is found in the members directory) -- do you see text 000001 within the file (text should be seperated with ||'s)?

If so, look in the directory of the forum which shows the application forms. Do you have a file named 000001.app? if so -- rename the file to 000001.bak and rebuild the applicant files.

applicant.cgi reads: 000003|!!|00000001
renamed the app, rebuild and same thing

I downloaded version 2.0 and got it to work. I setup my template and then upgraded to 2.01 by uploading all templates and all cgi files.

Corona, I emailed you, I need to be able to allow unregistered members to fill out the application. I have registration turned off and really don't want to turn it back on to use this. Is there a way to do this easily?

Corona,

Excellent hack! I have it running with Sticky 1.6 on 6.2.1. The only problem I seem to be having is the colors it is using when posting a message is in correct. It is putting black text on a dark blue background. Where do i need to edit this? I fixed the problem on the actual form by changing the TABLE BORDER color to light grey so apparantly some of the var_color calls are incorrect... but what do I know smile Any information to get the colors using my style correctly would be great!

Thanks!

I am having the same problems with the colors also, mine is a light blue backgound and a dark blue text, it's kinda hard to read.

bglynn, MrStormyNights: and For those who experience problems with vars_appform.cgi not existing, vars_appform.cgi not being created automatically or permission denied messages:
Download new zip
Replace cp_appform.cgi and cp_appform_new_template.cgi
CHMOD vars_appform_template_1.cgi (if it exists), vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi (if it exists), vars_appform_template_match.cgi and vars_appform.cgi to 777

I can not duplicate the error with permission problems. Im geussing your running on a unix box, and permissions are not set properly. The updated code should set permissions properly -- let me know if you experience more problems.

Speedy: Make sure cp_vars_appform.pl has been uploaded to your webserver and is CHMODed to 777

Raichu -- still examining why the applicants.cgi file is not being updated properly. I should have it fixed shortly.

MrStormyNights -- Regarding unregistered members filling out the applications -- yes, i can give you this functionality. I'll give ya a hack soon.

MrStormyNights and Painfool -- In regards to the color problems -- have ya tried setting up a style template specifically for the application forms? If not, give it a try. If this doesn't fix your problem, please provide a url to the page showing incorrect colors, and i'll check out the problem.

Once again, sorry for providing the hack and taking off for a few days due to the move. Things have settled down, and I'll perform bug fixes as soon as possible smile

--Corona

When i click the button to load the template into the worksheet, I still get:

ERROR! ERROR!

quote:
Originally posted by bglynn:
When i click the button to load the template into the worksheet, I still get:

ERROR! ERROR!

Bglynn,
Do you get this error message all the time, or just on occasion? This error trap was implemented to reduce corruption caused by page refreshes.

Try deleting (or rename if you wish to save the old templates) vars_appform_template_1.cgi and vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi. Replace vars_appform_template_1.cgi with the file found in the zip. CHMOD vars_appform_template_1.cgi to 777.

quote:
applicant.cgi reads: 000003|!!|00000001
renamed the app, rebuild and same thing

Raichu,

I have no idea why you are getting this error. A applicant file rebuild should take care of it. The program believes a file does not exist when it clearly does. This error looks like an error that would appear in older versions (version 1.1).

I'd recheck the hack to make sure all files are hacked properly -- especially ubb_lib_posting.cgi and ubb_topic_maint.cgi. replace ubb_applicants.cgi and ubb_applicants_misc.cgi just to make sure they are the latest versions.

If you still are experiencing this problem, email me all your .app files, and applicants.cgi and im sure i can trace down the problem.

--Corona

MrStormyNights and Painfool -- In regards to the color problems -- have ya tried setting up a style template specifically for the application forms? If not, give it a try. If this doesn't fix your problem, please provide a url to the page showing incorrect colors, and i'll check out the problem.

I did infact use the Standard Style - that is how I discovered that by changing the "Table Border" color I could affect the Applicant Form background color. I have changed all the colors and was unable to ever change the actual table background used when posting a message via the application.

I deleted both files and replaced the first one. Now I get

An error has occured:

*mypath*/CGI-BIN/vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi: syntax error at (eval 12)

When I try to go to the Application Form Template section. And yes I got the error everytime. I have yet to be able to set it up to use.

Corona, any luck in getting to my unregistered users request yet, I have my template all set up and really would like to start using this on our forums. Thanks

i rehacked and updated the files. Same error... I sent you the files requested..

I'm getting the same error as Raichu Babai... if you find the problem please let me know... thanks...

A few things that might help you out a bit Corona... In your installation instructions at the bottom you say to copy everything in one of the file's (can't remember exact name at the moment)and paste it in a new thread in the applications forum. This is the information that will let the admins and moderators and such know how to accept, vote and everything. I did this on my board, however, after someone has filled out the application, the application shows up in the Applications Forum but the post showing the instructions for the admins and the moderators is gone. Then whenever you go to the application to accept it is when you get the backtrace error.

I hope this helps you out some because I really look forward to this hack...

tom

Corona,

You around guy? Anyhow, the only thing that I can come up with is that the backtrace problem is due to Stick Threads 1.6.... However, I'm not sure how to install and get Sticky Threads 1.5 to work with ubb 6.2.1 so, if you could help us out there then this hack should be pretty good.

Tom

I think this mod is forever beta and flawed...doesn't seem to be developing it...I give up!

Solution for:

Can't open '/home/wewfhfc/public_html/cgi-bin/roleplay/vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi'.

Permission denied

Change security on your cgi-bin folder to 777 so you can edit the template. I changed it back to 755 and I am no longer having problems once I modified my my template. Maybe LK or someone can figure out a solution for this (or heck, create and empty 'vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi' and set the security up on it?)

Solution for

open ubb_applicants.cgi and look for:

#determine path for the forum

Under this section is a check to see if the forum is private (so it can find the special folder stored under it). Apparently 6.2 changed the possible variables which can be stored in this location.

Here is what it looks like on mine after making it private:

if ($permission eq 'privaterestrict&privaterestrict') {
$exact_path .= "/private-$this_forum[7]";
# does user have permission to enter?
&check_private_access($vars_appform{FormForumNumber}, $this_forum[12]);

Basically he used 'private' on line 2 above.

I changed it to what the setting is in vars_forums.cgi when I set the forum private and it was able to detect the forum as private and find the correct path the to the .app and .cgi files.

Hope this helps get people over the hump. Its actually a very nice hack, just not very portable.

Now I am working on the email system not working now.

NOTE: This does NOT work with Sticky 1.6. The code will have to be changed to work with the new file format for stickys. Well, scratch that, the sticky feature doesnt work, but it works.

It seems there is some logic problems with his email routines and using plain text. I havent been able to isolate it, but I have been able to get the system working by using HTML format.

I have the same error, could someone give me a solution because I dont understand the one above.

Released v2.0.2 -- Should be compatable with Jordo's Sticky Threads V1.6 (Appforms 2.0.1 was released before Jordo changed sticky threads functionality)

If upgrading from v2.0.1, overwrite the following files: ubb_applicants.cgi, ubb_new_application.cgi and ubb_applicants_misc.cgi (rehacking is not necessary).

In v2.0.2 is an attempt at the 'application profile not found' bug fix. Let me know if this works for you! Thank you Mark Spivey!

Apologies for not being around at all over the last few months. In the future, I may not be able to add bug fixes in a timely fashion -- but i will fix bugs when im able.

For all the emails -- i just recieved them, and will be reading through them tonight. Next bug to pop will be the permissions problem bug and the ascii email bug.

For the permissions bug, i do not have a unix box to test a bug-fix and may be tricky for me to track down. Until the permissions bug is fixed, you can use Mark Spiveys suggestion and chmod the cgi-bin directory to 777 until your template is complete. Once you have built your template, chmod cgi-bin to 755.

For the ascii email bug -- use the html email as a temporary solution.

Let me know if this patch takes care of your problems, or if theres bugs noticed when sticking/unsticking topics.

Corona. As for a unix box, I can give you an account on mine if you want.

Let me know if you want to use it. Its a Redhat 7.2 server. I use it for my UBB roleplay board, it's sitting on my DSL line so I have full admin rights and can set you up with whatever priviledges you need for testing.

That would be great Stormy!

Can ya send ftp/url/abs pathing info to my email at: [email protected] ?

V2.0.3 Released!

V2.0.3 adds support for Ascii Email. Nothing else has been changed.

If upgrading from v2.0.2, replace cp_appform.cgi, ubb_applicants_misc.cgi and ubb_new_application.cgi

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63