Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
This is the first UBB™ modification I write an essay about... so please bear with me. wink

It shows you how you can make more fields editable from within the UBB™ Control Panel (View/Edit member profiles),
such as the password and email address fields.

This one's for UBB v6.1 - v6.2,
but I wrote another one for UBB v6.05.

You can get it from here .

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Some feedback:

- You instructions are kind of wordy. A more understandable format is find, then replace/add before/add after.

- the 1a snippet and changed look the same

- No need to list every profile field in the replace

you could say

In cp_users.cgi
Find: $user_profile[3] = qq!$in{homepage}!;
Add Before: $user_profile[2] = qq!$in{email}!;

Just some feedback after seeing the instructions for many hacks on here, and writing a couple of small ones of my own.

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated! smile

But eh... I didn't write it in the "default" hack format, mainly because I thought of it as some basic guidelines, not a "hack".

If I was writing a "hack" (or a modification as I prefer to name it, eheh), I would have used the most commonly used format and layout of the text file.

Some people enjoy reading "wordy" documents,
others don't. Maybe it's just a matter of personal preferences. wink

Happy holidays!

Edit:Oops, silly me! I was too busy "defending" my essay so I forgot to mention the 1a snippet.

That was a bad mistake, so I've updated the text file.
Everything's looking fine now! smile

well..regardless the code is "confidential" technically to only those with valid licenses etc...and the more you put in the document the more it "infringes" upon this. in the case of someone's protected work less is always better regardless of how "simple" that part of the code is...

also there is a problem with this code... I mentioned in another location how this did not work... I sat and thought about it.. you do not mention to update the member stat after changing these entries... this is required to make it work properly when changing the email address etc...

there was another "hack" that mentions it as follows:

$vars_wordlets{email_field}:

$public_name: Please note, Changing this does NOT Check for duplicate $vars_wordlets{email_field}.

You should rebuild member stat files after making this change to update emailfile.cgi(in Members)

$user_profile[2]

Oops again!

I didn't think about the "infringements"...

Uhm, and I didn't even know there was such a modification out there already.

I'm sorry for the inconvience, I don't know all of your "rules" here but I'll try to be more careful in the future.

Isn't there some page with rules about modification submissions?

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I am assuming, the less Infopop code used in the documentation, the better. But I will let one of the Infopoppers correct me on this...

That's right, I just didn't think about it while writing my guide, eheh.

yeah... in the case of Intellectual Property (source code belonging to infopop) they're nice enough to allow the flowing of the source code all over the place in a public forum. Obviously if we post an entire file for example instead of small bits and pieces someone would get very upset. Still I tend to lean toward 1-2 lines of original unique code prior and 1-2 lines of original unique code after... and anything that needs to be replaced listed in total unless it is a major portion. Then you list a few unique lines from the top and bottom.

At least this was how "hacks" were done back in the "early days" of things like WWIV (I'm dating myself now haha) Of course now things get much more complicated then they used to be with the ease of viewing code outputs for graphics/formatting and most development tools like Dreamweaver UltraDev and other similar systems allow "drag and drop" database connectivity using ODBC databases which are virtually interchangable with one another etc.... anyone could easily slap a few things together and WHAM... a whole new system copied off someone else with a few "names changed" to protect the guilty.

but it stays a good hack laugh laugh laugh

Good to hear you like it. smile

Sponsored Links
Idle, FYI - this hack was already done and posted by me. If you would have looked in the beta forum a little closer, you would have seen this. Mine includes all instructions for each item. Several other people have posted parts of this hack also. As far as I can tell, You posted this in final without ever posting it in the beta hacks. Hacks should be posted in the beta area first so they can be tried out before calling it final.

With that being said, I really don't care, I just want you to realize you need to check closer before posting a hack and also you should post in the beta forum first.

My Hack

Thanks, I'll remember that!

i need something like this for 6.3

no hope for something like this for 6.3?

It is pretty much the same.

For example, let's say you want to be able to edit the publicly displayed name, but then you'd do something like:

Open cp_edit_profile.pl (Templates) and find:
Code
[/code]Replace with:
Code
</pre></div></div>You're just replacing <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
with
Code
</pre></div></div>.<br><br>Next, open cp_users.cgi and find:<br><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
Add above:
[code]
Same for other fields.

Anyone try this for 6.5 yet? I just gave a quick, non-hacker try and it didn't work. Instead, the field showed up with lots of neat code, including a tag shocked

TimS

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63