Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
He means the OLD Quick Reply thread, which can be found here . It's one of LK's replies. You might want to check the next page as well, because another guy recaps in a much simpler fashion. Or in layman's terms, as you put it.

And, man, is trawling through fifteen pages a chore. Thank God they started a new thread for Quick Reply (even though that's swiftly filling up, too).

And, uh, first post.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JackBlack! I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction! wink

quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Catcher, did you use the latest update?
Yes - I belive I did... it WAS working, then stopped.

Never mind. Thanks for the IM help. The upload of the updated ubb_spell.cgi file worked great.

Is there anyway to add a scroll bar to the popup window and also remove the Internet Explorer button bar from it and just make it a blank popup?

A few of my posters are complaining that when they type rather large posts they cant get to the bottom of the popup without actually manually changing the size of the popup by clicking and dragging the border.

Any help is appreciated. This is a great hack smile

My board is located at http://www.philaphans.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Sponsored Links
LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
In all .pl pages, replace "scrollbars=no" with "scrollbars=yes".

LK, Thank you for pointing that out. I appreciate it.

One more question if its ok? I noticed that if you have the "&" symbol anywhere in your text that your spell checking it basically stops checking right at the & and shows nothing past that. Anyway to combat that from happening?

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
You're right...

ubb_spell.cgi. Find:
code:
Code
	use LWP::Simple;

Replace with:
code:
[qb]
Code
	$in{ubb} =~ s/^(www.spellcheck.net/cgi-bin/spell.exe?action=checkpg&string=)(.+?)$/"$1".UBBCGI::escape($2)." "/eisg;
use LWP::Simple 'get';
[/qb]

I made the change you suggested above for [QUOTE]
Code
The spellcheck window opens and it's totally blank--no static text, spell checked text, no buttons.

By the way, my spellcheck window has never had a Close button. I looked at the code in ubb_spell.cgi, and it looks like a close button should be there, but it doesn't appear. Any suggestions?

Undefined subroutine &UBBCGI::escape called at /PATH/ubb_spell.cgi line 48.

Is the error after the above modification.

Painfool

Sponsored Links
LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
What if instead of "UBBCGI::escape" you use "escape"?

quote:
Originally posted by LK:
What if instead of "UBBCGI::escape" you use "escape"?
Undefined subroutine &main::escape called at PATHcgi-binubb_spell.cgi line 48.

Painfool

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Are you sure you're using the latest Modules? change back to UBBCGI::escape, and upload UBBCGI.pm from cgi-bin/Modules of 6.3.1.1 zip to your cgi-bin/Modules.

Same error as first time. Here is the line of code I added to ubb_spell.cgi and the one before and after.

Code
$ins =~ s/&$//;
$in{ubb} =~ s/^(www.spellcheck.net/cgi-bin/spell.exe?action=checkpg&string=)(.+?)$/"$1".UBBCGI::escape($2)." "/eisg;
#use LWP::Simple;
Works with out the modification except for the &'s smile I did just copy and paste your code .. do i need to type it in manually? maybe a space somewhere or something?

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Which version of UBB are you using anyhow? tipsy UBBCGI.pm in modules has sub escape, so it doesn't make any sense that UBBCGI::escape doesn't exist unless you use a version without UBBCGI support

6.3.1.1 upgrade from 6.2.1.1 Site is not online or I would let you take a look, trying to get everything moved over and rehacked before I let the unwashed hoards stomp thru it. I double checked the Modules/UBBCGI.PM and time/date stamps matched, I did do exactly what you said and extracted from the zip file again. Thanks for the help, As the site is not hot I'll poke around with it ... thanks LK! BTW: All I get when I spell Check here is the INFOPOP Copyright , does that mean I didnt mispell anything? smile

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Here = UBBDev? It doesn't make any sense, this board uses an old versoion...

About UBBCGI.pm, make sure you upgraded from 6.2.1.1 to 6.3.1.1 correctly

Hey LK,

Did you miss my questions?

When I tried to apply the fix for & in text, I got a blank window. I'm also wondering why I don't have a close button in the spell check window (without the & fix).

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Can you check the error log for the error? About the close button, it shouldn't be there :rolleyes:

It turns out that my problem with the & fix is the same as Painfool's. I'm getting the undefined subroutine error. I re-uploaded UBBCGI.pm from the 6.3.1.1 zip, and made sure that it was uploaded in ASCII mode and has 755 permissions.

Well, I looked some more at the button situation. Here's what I found:

When there is no text in the original UBB reply/new topic form, a close button appears. The code is:
code:
Code
	} else {
$url =~ s/Enter your text to spellcheck. (Up to 5000 characters)/$vars_wordlets_mods{spell_check_no_text}/isg;
$url =~ s/<FORM><input type="BUTTON" NAME="GOBACK" VALUE=" Back " OnClick="history.go(-1)"></FORM>/<form action="javascript:window.close();"><input type="submit" name="close" value="$vars_wordlets_mods{spell_check_close}" /></form>/isg;
}

(I don't understand why there is "Back" button in that code. It doesn't appear in my spellcheck window. What's it for? I'm also totally confused by the s/.../...isg; code. This seems to be the same text that comes from vars_wordlets_mods. What's that all about?)

When there are no spelling errors, the code has a button that lets the user spell check again for some reason. I guess in case he/she adds something to the spellcheck window. The single button in that case is "Spellcheck Text." Clicking this button goes to spellcheck.net, and there is no way to get spell checked text back to the original window. I tried modifying the code to just provide a close button when the text is spelled correctly. I changed this code:

code:
[qb]
Code
	} elsif ($url =~ /SpellCheck Text/) {
$url =~ s/(<form action=")http://(www.spellcheck.net/.+?)(" method="post">)/$1$vars_config{CGIURL}/ubb_spell.cgi$3n<input type="hidden" name="ubb" value="$2" />n<input type="hidden" name="f" value="$in{f}" />/isg;
$url =~ s/No spelling errors were found in this text./$vars_wordlets_mods{spell_check_spelled_correctly}/isg;
$url =~ s/SpellCheck Text/$vars_wordlets_mods{spell_check_text}/isg;
}
[/qb]
to:
code:
Code

} elsif ($url =~ /SpellCheck Text/) {
$url =~ s/No spelling errors were found in this text./$vars_wordlets_mods{spell_check_spelled_correctly}/isg;
$url =~ s/<FORM><input type="BUTTON" NAME="GOBACK" VALUE=" Back " OnClick="history.go(-1)"></FORM>/<form

action="javascript:window.close();"><input type="submit" name="close" value="$vars_wordlets_mods{spell_check_close}" /></form>/isg;

}

This didn't work. As a matter of fact, it made no difference at all. (Yes, I did clear the cache.)

Finally, rather than add a close button to the window when there are incorrect spellings, I modified the function spellfix() and added:
code:
[qb]
Code
window.close();  
[/qb]
after:
Code
opener.document.replier.message.value=input;
That worked. Hurray!

I was finally able to get mine working by adding a require 'full path to ubbcgi.pm' in UBB_SPELL.CGI ... not sure what that is indicative of or how to fix it, but &'s work now. Only other test that has failed is on a very long post it seems to stop pulling text at a certain point. Havn't actually counted the number of characters though, is there a hard set number allowed for input LK?

Painfool

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
smile

Jay, can you also try to do it? (add "do $vars_config{CGIPath}/Modules/UBBCGI.pm" instead of use UBBCGI qw(:cgi))

Am I looking in the wrong place? I don't have:
UBBCGI qw(:cgi) in ubb_spell.cgi.

Here is what I did... is there a better, faster, cheaper way LK ? smile

Code
Find:
$filehandle = new UBB::FileHandler(%vars_config);

Add Below:
require "$vars_config{CGIPath}/modules/UBBCGI.pm";
Painfool

LK, there is still the issue of very long posts not being completely pulled into the spellchecker, which will cause some less attentive users some grief when they lose the text (if they hit Update Text what ever is in the spell check window is what you get smile ). I verified it as a length problem by adding one extra character at the beginning of a long post and the spellchecker pulled one less character at the the stopping point. Any ideas or quick fixes?

NOTE: The Quick Reply Spellcheck works here, but the REPLY Spellchecker does not, or at least for me it doesn't

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Oops... Can you replace:
code:
Code
use CGI ':standard';

with:
code:
[qb]
Code
use UBBCGI ':cgi';
[/qb]

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Painfool: Thanks smile I'm working on it, and the next spell checker update isn't probably going to have this problem.

I keep getting the following in my server error logs. I have all the mods required installed, and followed the instructions exactly.

Oh yes, all file permissions are set correctly as well, to be honest I think it's probably my webserver than this hack, but just incase someone sees something obivious....

quote:

Prototype mismatch: sub main::head vs ($) at /www/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb_spell.cgi line 47

Line 47 is:

quote:
[qb]
[/qb]
All I get when I press the spellcheck button, is a blank pop up screen, no text whatso ever inside.

Theres quite alot of stuff on google about this error, all talking about the LWP::Simple module creating two different "heads" or something similar, but to be honest I'm out of my depth!

Nudge in the right direction anyone!?

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Pilot, that's just a warning, not an error, and it's not the cause for the blank popup screen... To fix it, replace that line with:
Code

Thanks LK, whilst that certainly stops the warning being posted in my error_log, I still can't get my text up in the popup box.

It still pops-up, but no text whatsoever appears!

I've rehacked everything now 3 times, check each file permission for the files changed (and the one added), cleared the cache, and I'm using multihack which reports a success for each step.

Still no joy.

Ah well. shocked

(URL and user/pass comming soon when I set you up! ;-)

Thanks!

For the life of me, I cannot get this hack to function... I have been over and over the code, and tried every conceivable adaptation mentioned here!

I'm running 6.3.1.2, and each time I hit the "Spell Check" button, it gives me an 'Internal Server Error' in the pop-up window.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I'm a graphics guy, and far from a code warrior.

My board is located at www.gun-talk.com

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I did a fresh install on 6.3.1.2 and I know for a fact that I did the hack correctly. The pop-up window has a page can't be displayed in it. Is this an issue with 6.3.1.2? If so, is this something that will have an update or a patch soon? If you need more info I will get the board owners permission to link to it.

TheX -- that's exactly what I have experienced!

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by tgreene:
TheX -- that's exactly what I have experienced!
If there's one thing I've learned in my time here it's that LK takes care of the hacks he writes. I'm sure it won't take long for an update.

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Actually, I believe you can blame your server for not using LWP, HTTP and URI modules.

[ frown ]

I just contacted my hosting Admin, and he will look into the modules for me... He says it may not be to easy, since I'm on a Cobol server.

I simply refuse to have anything hosted on MS servers, therefore I am forced to trade convenience for security. It's a good trade though! wink

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by tgreene:

I simply refuse to have anything hosted on MS servers, therefore I am forced to trade convenience for security. It's a good trade though! wink
And another uninformed opinion. I manage a network that hits 54 countries and it is comprised of many hundreds of Win 2K servers. I have never lost a server to hacks or attacks because I build them properly. Blame lazy ass engineers for the server issues and if you think that Cobalt servers are more secure you really should do a search on Google and you'll find out why hosting providers are dropping them like flies. Better yet, ask some of the guys around here what they think of the performance of them running UBB's.

Please know what you're talking about before making generalizations.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hit a nerve with my post, so I owe you an apology and an explanation.

I've been a website developer since the days of Netscape 1.03, which means that the MS servers that were out there were beyond atrocious... I have also been hosting with the same guys for well over 3 years now, and Win-2000 wasn't even a thought yet. At the time I transfered numerous domains to them, the best security possibilities were on the cobalt servers, as NT was to flaky to run a lot of the apps that some of my clients require, and the security holes were way to prevelant at the time.

Basically, I'm happy with what I'm using for the above reasons, but it seems that maybe I should look at switching to my hosts Win-2000 servers.

The biggest thing for me, is that I used to do this for a living, but am now barely even a freelancer, as I have made several other career moves and just don't do much designing anymore, except for my own personal business ventures, which are in the firearms industry.

Anyway, sorry for the perceived insult... It was not meant that way!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63