Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Argh!

I apologize if this is better suited for another forum, I looked and searched and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

My question is this-- what is the best way to upgrade from 6.04 to 6.1 (when it comes out)? I have several mods installed, and have at least been able to gather that the code will be fairly different, and thus previous mods won't work.

So... how in the hell would I possibly go about this? Do I need to uninstall all the mods, then follow upgrade proceedures? I can't even imagine the headache that would be (though of course, I've brought it on myself). What's the typical way people upgrade? Why does it seem like everyone else is able to do it with ease? I sure love my mods, so the idea of every few releases having to un-do everything I've added (by hand) is starting to seem not very worth it...

Any tips from those of you who've been around the block greatly appreciated. I'm totally confuddled on this one.

Sponsored Links
Just follow the written upgrade instructions from any v6 forum. The only change might be if you have added other modifications that add extra profile fields: ie: the calendar added profile field #55.

If you did, you'll need to search in ubb_lib_files.cgi for maxmemfield and increase that number (31) to whatever number profile fields you have.

Other than that, just overwrite all files with the upgrade set of files, and follow the rest of the upgrade instructions.

Duke

"Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
I've got a similar question.

Besides hacks, I've customized some of the pages. Like removing the jump to option box and removing the text link to active topics, etc. I've also reworded the profile page and registration page.

Will upgrading from 6.02 to 6.1 cause me to loose all these changes?

Thanks in advance.
Rand

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Rand, yes, all these changes would be lost. The new templates would need to be uploaded, thus overriding what you have right now.

Argh,

Thanks Matt... for the bad news...

Great site and service here.

Sincerely,
Rand

Sponsored Links
This is a bit of an old thread, but I've now officially begun the process and am stuck almost before I've started. I posted a thread about this at Infopop, but in case I don't get an answer I wanted to pick some brains here...

the script to remove extra member fields in the profile isn't working (getting an error -- The MembersPath I detected, 'q!/home/estrov2/cgi-bin/Members!', does not seem to exist. I could not find the memberslist file.), so I was wondering if anyone knew where exactly I'd look to be able to find out how many profile fields I have? I assume to approach it from the backwards way, I could in the ubb_lib_files.cgi with the upgrade file change the 31 for number of profile fields to whatever number of fields I have. Only, how do I figure out what exactly that number is...? Incidentally, I haven't added the calendar hack so I know maxmemfields isn't supposed to be 55.

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: redhotkitchen ]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63