Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I have a HUGE problem that needs to be dealt with ASAP. My boss is down my throat and I have no idea on how to fix it.

Ok, now the problem: The site I run recently bought out another site of the same genre, and we need to combine out UBB member folders so the buy was fully worth our while. I have absolutely no idea on how to do this, because the existing folder has like 1400 members, and the one we need to add to it has 800.

Any help would be highly appreciated and Im sure I will be able to offer someone help in some other aspect of the web *graphic design / web page development* if you can help me here.

Thnx again guys, I really hope someone can help me out on this.

J. Currier

Sponsored Links
I don't think there's an easy way of doing it...
you could write a little script that runs through the (x).cgi in your other member folder, and renames it to (x+1400).cgi or something, then you'll be able to copy them into your main folder, and might be able to rebuild member stats on them, though I'm not sure this would work...

Just another boring 17-year-old
and yes, I like smilies/graemlins
yea writing code would help... but theres only one problem. I have no idea how i would write that script. either way... hopefully someone can help me on this.

please??

apparently urgent has no meaning anymore...

are you planing on importing the post formt he other forum to or just the members?

Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
quote:
Originally posted by Bender of Minds:
apparently urgent has no meaning anymore...

When you write it in caps with three exclamation points, you're right, it certainly doesn't.

pumpkin might be on the right track, though I don't know how the specifics of it would go, or if that would even work.

yeah I'm sorry... I was away for a few days in england, and as the semester comes to an end the teachers increase work load, so I haven't had much time recently... either you should find someone else to write that script, or find some other way of doing it, unless you can wait a while...

Just another boring 17-year-old
and yes, I like smilies/graemlins
Anime-loo - Im just planning on importing the member files, because its been long enough that the posts from that board are no longer relevent.

Matt Jacob - Sorry man, but I hoped that would bring attention to this thread because I really need to get this done soon.

pumpkin - I understand, my school workload has also increased this past week. I personally have no idea how I would go about writing that code so I guess Im gonna have to wait a lil bit. And I appreciate any help from you...

... but if someone else knows how to write this - please contacte me at [email protected]

Thnx

-- elevating --

Well Im not experienced in this matter heck im the biggets newbie on the earth, all i know is that at gamegossip.com and aliensversuspredator.com they both share the same user database.

Maybe for one forum tell it to look in theother ones cgi directory or wherever ther members databvase is located perhaps they both have to be on the same server or sank.

Sponsored Links
I'm having the same issues right now. I have, to this point, combined both forums into one new forum (downloading the old forum folders, changing to the new folder's forum number, manually moving the forum folders into the new server, then updating the index and stat files). That part was actually a lot easier than I had expected.

Right now, I am trying to combine site registration folders. My issue is that there are about 250 of our combined 2000 registered users that overlap. We have taken the memberslist.cgi and the emailfile.cgi and imported them into Access, combined the files, merged both forums membership lists, sorted them by e-mail addresses, then purged the later registered duplicate username. At this point, my next step is to export them back out into the cgi files, but I, too, am having difficulty finding a script to do this without massive amounts of labor. I don't want to make people have to re-register, but it looks as if I may have to enter all of the data by hand into the user's cgi files.

Has anyone else figured out a work-around for this?

I'm getting close to desperate, too.

-doug

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'd offer to do it for you (usually I have nothing better to do for cash) but I start a new job tomorrow. Its not too difficult to do however if you have the time. Feel free to message me on AIM at GizmoLaptop at your leasure, I should be here by 6p or so on weeknights.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm... I might know something that can help... gimme a day or so to find an answer. smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Just lock your board down for a day and renumber allof your cgi files in association to the imported members

It's a pain but it works. I have already done this once before

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
badfrog
badfrog
somewhere on the coast of Maine
Forum Statistics
Forums63