Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#174262 03/17/2002 11:52 AM
Content Queen
Content Queen
Okay, here's the scoop.

One of my moderators changed her e-mail address within her profile. A new password is automatically generated and sent to her new e-mail.

She tries to log-in. Cannot.

So I ask her all the usual questions. Browser (a newer version of Microsoft's--she couldn't give me the #, but I imagine it's 5.5 or higher)

I then told her to delete her cookies relating to the site, to reboot, and try again.

No luck.

Told her to delete ALL her cookies and try again.

No luck.

Someone else then PM'd me and had a similar problem. She played around and deleted references to my site from her favorite places, tried to log-in, and it worked.

On my end, I closed the board and rebuilt members' history.

Today I have suggested to her to do the following:
  • Delete all cookies referring to the ADWOFF site
  • Go into the "History" folder in Windows and delete all files relating to adwoff
  • Delete all references to ADWOFF in favorite places
  • Reboot
  • Make a log-in attempt again

I haven't heard back on whether or not she was able to get doing this, but I am concerned. One is a problem. Two is showing signs of a trend. Both members who have had problems with this issue are consistent users of my site and are out-spoken. IOW, with a problem, they'd let me know.
I have no idea how many have tried--but can't log-in--and have given up.

The board is currently UBB 6.1.0.3 ... Yes, I plan to upgrade. That's going to happen near the end of the week.

What I'm asking is this:

1. Is anyone else having this issue?
2. How can it be resolved? Is there something more that she can do? Something that I can try on my end?

I'd hate to lose this member's history, and so would she!

Thank you.

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
#174263 03/17/2002 1:07 PM
Sue, what message was the user getting when she tried to log in?

One other thing to try: have the user right-click login, open in a new window, log in, and go from there (then close the first window). We've had the same thing happen, users get the "Sit tight, we are taking you back...... You are not logged in" msg and this fixes it.

#174264 03/17/2002 3:33 PM
This problem is caused by the way your (or your member's) browser is handling cookies. UBB uses cookies to identify your visitors.

The standars setting for IE6, Windows XP and (i think) Netscape as well, is to allow first-party cookies. This means, that if someone access your board with its full URL (e.g. http://site1.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi), they'll be able to log in, but if they access your forum within a frame from another site (e.g. http://site2.com), the cookies from your board will be rejected by your browser.

The easiest way around this is simply to provide your site with a link which opens the board in a new window without frames etc (just the direct link to the board).

The best way, however (it requires a bit of work on the user side), is to set the browser's cookie-handling to allow so-called third-party cookies. This can be easily done within the configuration box of your browser. In IE, just go to Tools->Internet Options. Click The Privacy tab. Within the Settings area, click the Advanced-button. Check the "Override automatic cookie-handling"-option, and select accept on both first- and third-party cookies. Press the OK button, and you're done!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63