Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#174327 03/20/2002 11:49 PM
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I don't allow members to edit their publicly displayed names. Once in awhile I'll get a request for a change and I have always just edited the members 00000xxx.cgi file and reuploaded it....till lately.

For some reason if I edit the puclic name (line 16 I believe) the member can't log in anymore. They get an error saying that the user name doesn't exist. I can still pull them up in the control panel but their post have no avatars, titles or info. The post do take on the new public name though.

Any thoughts on what may have changed to cause this? I am on 6.1.0.4 and moved from a Windows host to a Unix host. I don't know exactly when it started doing this though.

Sponsored Links
WASSUP!

Question: Assuming that you didn't change any of the mods and profile fields, when you moved over to Unix did you rebuild members stats (all stats in fact)? Also does this happen with only one, certain or all members when you modify their .cgi? Lastly, did you try using different names instead of the one your user requested?

I'm sure you tried these but the reason I asked was that since you are not sure when the errors started to take place several possiblities (including corrupted files). If it is Unix-based problem then I guess that is entirely a different situation. I may be way off but just curious.
THANKS!
PrimeTime

Yep, you need to Rebuild the Member Stats when you change any Member Number or Name.

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I rebuilt member stats, posts history and every other thing I could think of. This has worked everytime before but now it just stopped.

WASSUP XPERT!

Just a hunch (may or may not work)...Make a copy of your ultimatebb.cgi and keep it in a safe place. Get a fresh ultimatebb.cgi file (unhacked) then replace it in your cgi-bin directory. If that doesn't work then it may be your ubb_profile.cgi, ubb_registration.cgi or one of your profile pl files. You may also wish to run the profile strip file to see if there is something missing.

I had a similar problem in 6.05 and the ultimatebb.cgi was the cause. It was either corrupted or missing (or deleted) code during one of my hacks. Don't know...Just brainstorming here.

THANKS!
PrimeTime

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I managed to fix the user, but I'm a no0bie at this Unix thing and I think I'm using the ascii/binary thing wrong during my FTP sessions. I opened public_names.cgi and that members name had a character after it that the others didn't have. In editplus it was a square. I've seen this before but only on files that have been FTP'd from Unix servers. When I remeoved this character from his name in that file and the emailfile.cgi everything started working, and I didn't have to rebuild the stats again.

What are the rules pertaining to using ascii versus binary during FTP transfers?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but all of your cgi and pl files should be transferred in ASCII (both directions obviously). That would explain this little problem.

WASSUP!

Cool you got the problem solved. Concerning your uploading of files, unlike most users, I use FrontPage access but edit all my files using EditPad. Now when I upload the files I don't worry about ASCII or binary settings. I never had a problem with corrupted files in my experience thus far using this method.

THANKS!
PrimeTime

I too get these requests so If I change the data in the members profiles and reupload and rebuild member stats.

And it should work Im running win2k and 6.2.1

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63