Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#174627 04/03/2002 4:42 PM
For the past 2 years I have been working on the team for my Gaming Clan's forum. It has always, through all the updates, been very slow. I fight to keep the CGI forum type in, but others on my team are sick of the slow load times and want PHP. Can someone explain to me why for instance, I get internel errers every 5 seconds on my forum? But hitting refresh makes them go away. Or why my forum is slow slow to load up stuff on?

Can someone suggest ways to make it faster? Could it be the traffic? the ammount of posts? the hosting service? or is just because its Perl?

Any suggestions appreciated;

my forum is at http://www.clan-forsaken.com/forum/

Sponsored Links
#174628 04/03/2002 5:40 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
What kind of server is the board running on?

#174629 04/03/2002 8:59 PM
Deb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I was there and didn't receive any internal errors using IE5. The speed of the board didn't seem that bad either although there are some graphically intense sig files. There were only 14 people on the site at the time.. what's the average user WOL total?

- Deb
#174630 04/04/2002 1:27 PM
when it hits around 25 people viewing, it tends to do the errors, i claim it might be bandwidth or other issues with the Perl Engine, we have an Apache server, im not sure on the specs, as I do not really have access to the Server's CP, or anything like that, i dont even know who hosts us (someone in the clan deals with that) i just do the forum stuff.

Mainly it has come down to an arguement of what causes it. I say it has to do with traffic, the size of our forum, and the server, possibly. Others say its the hacks I put in. I put my hacks in manually, and I am very patient, slow, and careful, but they dont really know that, even if i told them i do, they will still blame it (but they want the hacks so i dont understand..) I thought maybe you guys would know. I really dont think its the forum, i just wanted to know if theres anything i can do to increase speed, and lower error rate.

Sarvoth

#174631 04/05/2002 12:40 AM
Content Queen
Content Queen
I went over to check it out, and when I clicked into the thread that said something like, "Hacks added" ... I received this error message:

quote:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I then went back w/my browser, clicked on it again, and it worked.

Weird.

I'd be pulling my hair out if my board had that problem!

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
#174632 04/05/2002 1:09 PM
You also need to find out what your disk utilization and processor occupancy are at. We've not bounced against our processor limits, but w/ our old host they were constantly at 99%-100% on /www, which prevented UBB or anything else from writing to disk. And UBB would generate that same error until we freed up disk.

It is not the UBB itself, and that error is not bandwidth related. It has to be your server, so you need to work with your h/w folks on that.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63