Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#174668 04/05/2002 3:35 AM
This may be a really dumb question, but how do you run a multihack file?

Sponsored Links
#174669 04/07/2002 2:58 PM
*cough*

#174670 04/07/2002 4:08 PM
Well do u have the actual program installed ? , if not download it from http://www.multihack.com

#174671 04/07/2002 4:57 PM
Content Queen
Content Queen
Assuming you have downloaded and installed the Multihack program, here's how you can use it:

• First, select options and make sure the "paths" are set-up for the source file and the output file; for example, my source file reads --> C:Program FilesMultiHack and my output file reads --> C:Program FilesMultiHacknew (note, the file for the output needs to be empty because Multihack will erase all files/subfolders when it installs a new hack)
  • Second, set the UBB paths that you would use with your board by clicking on the tab that says UBB. For example, where it says "CGI Directory" you might put in "cgi".
  • Third, within your Multihack directory on your harddrive, create a file for the CGI files you'll be hacking (I call mine "cgi") and one for the templates and other files in the UBB directory on your server (I call mine "ubb" and I also have a "Templates" folder within)

That's the first part.
You set it up this way so that the Multihack program knows where to look for the files to hack and where to output the revised files.

Next, you need to download the Multihack files you wish to work with. After you've downloaded them, the easiest way to import them to the Multihack program is to doubleclick on it.

Now you should be ready to install a hack using the program. Here's what I do:

• Go to the Hacks menu and select "List Hacks"
  • From that list, select a file to install; for example, let's say I wish to install the "Last Post in Forum" hack; I click on it, and then I select "Analyze" -- a new window will pop up.
  • In this window, I make note of the files I need to do the hack with; in this example, they'd be the public_forum_pg.pl, public_topic_pg.pl, ubb_forum.cgi, and vars_wordlets_mod.cgi
  • I download those files and copy them into the cgi and ubb/Templates folders respectively.
  • I then "Analyze" the hack again. This will check to make sure that I have the proper files in the proper locations, AND whether or not there is an "issue" with one of the files. If I see in the description field, "Mod applied successfully," I'm good to go with it! If I don't, then I need to do some trouble shooting (which I won't describe here*)
  • Let's say we get the magical message of "Mod applied successfully" for every file. Close the Analyze window and select "Install." Follow the prompts (sometimes there are additional instructions included). Your revised files should be located in the "new" folder w/in the cgi/ubb files.
  • Upload these files to their respective directories. Chmod them correctly (sometimes you will have new files to upload). Test on your board.

*I have gotten fairly comfortable with the program, so when I run into an error message, I back out of the Analyze window and choose "Edit." Within the Edit function, you are able to see each step of each hack--in some cases, the "Old Data" doesn't match with your current file's data (because of different hacks you've already installed). What I do then is open the file via an editor program and search for the "Old Data" or something similar to it.
I then can either replace the "Old Data" in the Multihack file, or make a note of this and hack it manually.

When you play with the program, this makes more sense.

------
Remember, though, you have to tell the Multihack program where to find the files you're attempting to hack and you need to give it an output folder.

I hope this helps!

Sue
adwoff.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63