Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#175261 05/10/2002 10:07 PM
Content Queen
Content Queen
I think I know the answer to this, but my members don't seem to trust my opinion. tipsy

They have been complaining about getting what they are calling "white pages" when they click on the link to my messageboard. If they hit the refresh button, the board loads properly.

I explained that I believed it was because of one of these things:

1. Their computer's cache is not in sync
  2. A lot of people are trying to access the site at the same time, putting stress on the server's load that houses the board

Am I blowing smoke or am I in the ballpark with my explanation?

I've have it happen to me, too. I'll click on a link, and what appears is a blank, white page.

I just click the refresh button, and the page loads.

I've also had this happen--and I'm almost positive it's a cache issue on my computer because it happens with other sites that I surf--I'll load a page from my favorite places or from pulldown menu, and it'll load a page from earlier in the day or even from a couple days ago.

Does this make sense? laugh

Thanks!

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
#175262 05/13/2002 10:45 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It makes sense, but could also be errors in the code. Are there particular pages that are giving you problems, and are they .cgi or .php pages?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#175263 05/13/2002 11:05 AM
Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
It makes sense, but could also be errors in the code. Are there particular pages that are giving you problems, and are they .cgi or .php pages?

I don't know about the files, Allen.

I'll have to ask them.

I think the page involved is the front page, but I'll have to ask about that, too.

Sue
adwoff.com
#175264 05/13/2002 11:36 AM
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Is this effecting both users with IE and Netscape or just Netscape users?

Many times Netscape will not render a page right and instead deliver a white page if there is an improperly formatted table somewhere on the page.

#175265 05/13/2002 11:42 AM
Content Queen
Content Queen
Steve,

I've asked those who are experiencing the problem to let me know where it occurs, the file suffix it occurs with, and the browser they are using.

One person responded that it's the front page, and that she's using the newest Microsoft browser. She forgot to mention if it's the .cgi or .php file that's giving her the issues.

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
For the heck of it I clicked the link to your board and got a white page. I am using IE 6 (latest ver) and the page was http://adwoff.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Hope this helps,

-Jason

Kahuna
Kahuna
I got a white page as well.

It sounds like a server problem and/or a coding problem.

.::First place winner in the June 2001 Member Spotlight ::.
.::Zelda Xtreme::.
Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by Travis:
I got a white page as well.

It sounds like a server problem and/or a coding problem.

Okay, how do I learn if it's the server or the code? laugh

Sue
adwoff.com
Kahuna
Kahuna
Well the obvious answer would be to install a default UBB (no hack, or anything of the sort) and see if you still get white pages.

It's not really that big of a deal since all you have to do is refresh, and it's fine. But still, it can be a nuisance.

.::First place winner in the June 2001 Member Spotlight ::.
.::Zelda Xtreme::.
Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by Travis:
Well the obvious answer would be to install a default UBB (no hack, or anything of the sort) and see if you still get white pages.

It's not really that big of a deal since all you have to do is refresh, and it's fine. But still, it can be a nuisance.

I agree that it's not that big of a deal (to me).

I love sports, and when I try to access ESPN's site, my browser often brings up old pages. So I just refresh or click on another link and away I go.

Unfortunately, most of the people at my site are women who freak out if the smallest thing goes wrong with the board/Internet (since I'm a woman I think I can get away with this statement tipsy ).

I do occasionally get the "white page," but I just figured it was *my* browser and did the refresh deal--or I'd go to another link and go in that way.

With my test site (before I started to work on the upgrade), I never had this issue. Then again, at my test site, I can't activate the accelerator because my host keeps ignoring my request to set it up. tipsy

My test board is only accessed by a small group of people--which makes me believe that maybe the "white page" happens when lots of people are trying to play at my main board. If that's the case, I think then that it's a server issue.

I am working on prepping my main board for an upgrade, so maybe that'll take care of things.

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
Content Queen
Content Queen
Instead of the white pages, this is an error message I've been seeing at my site in the last day or so:

quote:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

------------------

Apache/1.3.22 Server at adwoff.com Port 80

It happens when I click on the main link (say I'm at the profile screen), and system tries to draw on the .cgi file

I'll contact my host, but if any of you can give me insight, I'd appreciate it, too.

For the record, if you go back with the browser button and click on the link, it works. tipsy

Sue
adwoff.com
#175272 05/16/2002 10:07 PM
I get that error if i don't chmod to 755. (ie if it's 777 i get that error)

I get it all the time tho, so I wouldn't be able to say you have the same permissions problem since it will work on a refresh...

#175273 05/16/2002 10:19 PM
Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by Shinju:
I get that error if i don't chmod to 755. (ie if it's 777 i get that error)

I get it all the time tho, so I wouldn't be able to say you have the same permissions problem since it will work on a refresh...

I double-checked the chmod properties, and it was at 755.

My webhost is thinking that it's something to do with a hack; he said:

quote:
You have something installed in your ultimatebb.cgi that is causing a runaway loop.
I'll double check the hacks I installed; I'm also working on trying to get things set-up so that I can upgrade to 6.3

I do have one question, though--why now? I haven't had these issues in the last 6 weeks or so since I set-up the board with the new upgrade; this stuff has been happening in the past week or so.

Weird.

Sue
adwoff.com
PF Offline
Sometimes the loop is in place that isn't accessed often.

I made a hack on our board that would retrieve a line from the userprofile if they we're logged in, before sending it to the browser.
Problem was if they changed their password, it'd go to display the invalid password screen, but then try to access the profile to get the line, but of course it's the wrong password, so it gets stuck in a loop.

There were a few other places where this would cause a problem too, our webhost even disabled ultimatebb.cgi to maintain stability of the server.
I spent about 1hr checking over the board locally to see what functions would cause the problem.

I think I got them all squished in the end. Well our webhost hasn't complained again...... yet laugh

Content Queen
Content Queen
Okay, I ran a Perl Script Checker & Error Reporter on my ultimatebb.cgi file, and this is the result:

Code
[/code]Next error message came with this:
Code
</pre></div></div>Final error message was this:<br>  [code]
I don't know about line 463 (what hack that may or may not have been played with), but the other two were involved in the file compression hack (I think that's what it was called--it's supposed to speed up the page load).

This stuff is all Greek to me, so I'm hoping with this data, someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Sue
adwoff.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63