Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I am transferring my UBB v6.1 (my license just ran out or I would update ::sniffs:: ) from one domain to another. Both domains are hosted by the same company, I have the same features on each (Perl 5, MySQL, etc.), and both are, in all respects, *exactly* the same.

But, UBB 6.1 won't work on one of the domains.

I uploaded hello.cgi into both cgi-local dirs, and it executes just fine. I uploaded ubb6_test.cgi into both cgi-local dirs, and in one it works perfectly fine, but in the other it gives a 500 Internal Server Error. There should be no reason for this! I have checked and rechecked *everything* I can think of.

I called my host's tech support, and they say there is not problem on their end.

So, I tried uploading the test cgi of UBB v6.0.5, just for kicks, and there is no problem with it!

I *really* need the newer version to work. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any ideas whatsoever of what could be wrong that I haven't already tried? I would *really really really* appreciate any help!!!

TiA...

"If you think it's perfect, I'll fix it." - me
Sponsored Links
Did you change your absolute and URL paths for the server your moving to?

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
chmod the new one? Some servers give an error if you chmod to 777 so make sure that ubb6_test.cgi is chmodded to 755.

Yup, I tried all of that stuff. =(

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Check your paths to perl at the top of the test file, ultimatebb.cgi, and cp.cgi, it may be different on the new server.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Did that too. (...about a dozen times, because I thought I was going insane. =)

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Can you ask your host to check it for you, and tell you what's the problem? If not, can you paste the error line from the errorlog?

I asked, and their response was 1) 'Nothing is wrong on this end', 2) 'We don't support the code, so we can't help you', and 3) 'This is a php bulletin board that's free you can use instead'. Obviously, none of the three helped me in figuring out the problem.

Here is specifically the e-mail I sent them:

---------------------------------

I have another account on your servers (discho), and I'm attempting to move a bbs (specifically a UBB) from there to this account (mixsig). Both accounts have the same Perl versions, the files in both accounts are identical, the files are in their respective cgi-local dirs, and I have set all of the permissions, file- and cgi dir-wise, to match the former, which runs, and yet this account will not execute the files.

I can get a test script (hello.cgi) to run in the cgi-local dirs of both accounts. However, I cannot get my setup test file (ubb6_test.cgi), nor any other UBB cgi scripts, to run in mixsig, though they run fine in discho.

I went into the Perl Script Checker on both accounts' control panels and ran both hello.cgi and ubb6_test.cgi. In discho, the files both showed the output and then a line that says the syntax is okay. In mixsig, the hello.cgi shows both lines, but ubb6_test.cgi does not show the 'syntax is okay' line. This is specifically what it looks like:

---

ON DISCHO with the Perl Script Checker

hello.cgi shows:

Output of "perl -c -w /u/htdocs/discho/cgi-local/hello.cgi"
/u/htdocs/discho/cgi-local/hello.cgi syntax OK

ubb6_test.cgi shows:

Output of "perl -c -w /u/htdocs/discho/cgi-
local/ubb6_test.cgi"
/u/htdocs/discho/cgi-local/ubb6_test.cgi syntax OK

ON MIXSIG with the Perl Script Checker

hello.cgi shows:

Output of "perl -c -w /u/htdocs/mixsig/cgi-local/hello.cgi"
/u/htdocs/mixsig/cgi-local/hello.cgi syntax OK

ubb6_test.cgi shows:

Output of "perl -c -w /u/htdocs/mixsig/cgi-
local/ubb6_test.cgi"

---

I have checked and rechecked everything I can think of, but I'm at a loss. Maybe there is some permission that still needs to be set, either on your end or on mine?

---------------------------------

Is that what you're after, LK?
Thanks, BTW! wink

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
OKay - new install of 6.1 fails. ubb6_test fails.

ubb6_test from 6.05 works?

Make sure you uploaded the Modules directory correctly.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Yup. That's what I don't understand. And I've done a clean install on the blasted thing (both versions) about three times a piece now. Will try again when I get back on the 5th, though. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
Make sure chown & chgrp are properly set.
Also are the files properly uploaded? Can't tell you how many times this caught me as 1 file did not transfer properly.

I'm back from being in-and-out of town for awhile. I just wiped out the place, reset everything, uploaded new files and the whole shebang, and I'm simply going to cry. No matter what I do, I can't get the control panel up in order to specify the paths ...basically once again, nothing important works. =~( I really really need this to work, too.

LK... (or Dexter or Allen or any of you gods smile I would love you *forever* if you would consider FTPing into my account and figuring out what's wrong and/or how to get at least my control panel working. My e-mail is [email protected] if so. ::gets on her hands and knees and begs::

I had a similar problem once and I had to go into a settings file and manually enter the new server info. I am just a noob to this and I can't remember which file exactly it was, but with this tid bit of info maybe one of the masters will know which file I am talking about. Hope this helps some. smile

A wise man Confucious once say, "Man who stands on toilet, high on pot!"
CTM Offline
Moderator / Da Masta
Moderator / Da Masta
You're thinking of vars_config.cgi, bizkit73, but that's what LD suggested (the absolute paths are found inside vars_config.cgi). smile

Though I doubt it's this that's the problem, what's the host's Perl version? (You'll find it in their FAQ or on the tech support page, or something like that...)

Oh my god. I came home tonight, and lo and behold, *everything* worked.

I need a hard drink.

This is the most bizarre thing I have *ever* seen. But hey, at least it's working. I really appreciate all the help, people.

A couple question, now that I'm fixin' it up: Do you guys recommend running the accelerator? If so, my server is running PHP4, but only PHP4 files with .php4 extensions will be noticed. (All other php files just need .php.) They said they may fix that at some point, or they may not. ::rolls her eyes:: Anyway, when I tried the accelerator script, it said my PHP was 3.01. Is there some way to get it to recognize I'm running 4?

Thaaanks again. =)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63