Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Last month, one of my clients hosting costs was approximately $300.00. They're on a $40.00/month, 15gig traffic/month hosting plan with Hostway. Prior to last month the 30/month plan was adequate. I have a couple questions about how UBB works I guess.

The boards are for a band, and are very active, with about 600 members posting all day and all night. In an effort to cut future costs of hosting, we decided to disallow posting of images in posts. This has created a minor repercussion with some users.

My first question, even though an image in a post is hosted on a different server, would the posting of images in a post generate extraneous cgi data that would be affecting costs?

My second question, in terms of settings and what not, any thoughts as to what can be done to cut down the amount of traffic that UBB is generatng?

Thank you for any information you might have.

Sponsored Links
Allen Ayres wrote a whole article on increasing speed and reducing bandwidth below:

https://ubbdev.com/db/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000018

I think once a image is posted on a forum it then adds to your bandwidth so turning off signatures is a definite I know what some of these music types have as siggys.
Thing is theres no need for a 800 x 600 Signature,

I Cannot Support Ubb Via ICQ or MSN.
Not because I dont want to its just I cant. tipsy
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
If the images are hosted elsewhere then the browser on the client side is doing the work, the UBB is only serving the text for the browser to use. As far as reducing the traffic generated there are a couple of choices. One would be to utilize the PHP accelerator and the other is to use the UBB compression hack that was in the 6.1 mod forums I believe.

Remember that there are always trade offs and this will increase CPU loads. I have a fantastic suggestion for you though, go to www.ubbhosters.com and check out their plans. Get ahold of Steve Klenert over there (or at www.digitalprinceton.net) and discuss this proplem with him. He is great at setting up plans to fit your needs and will give you a realistic price.

If you are serious about this then click here and give them a holler. The service is outstanding. I don't get commission or anything so you don't have to mention me...I am hosted with him and love the customer service.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Images from other servers can not impact bandwidth use locally - they're on other servers! smile

If you have not done so, enable the UBB Accelerator. It can use PHP's built in compression (if it's enabled) to save bandwidth. Up to 50% of all requests can be fed through the Accelerator, which can cut down the size of each page by up to 75%.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Well, then. Talk about getting sniped!

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Sponsored Links
TheX
You may as well be a rep Im looking into swapping over to them because of you wink

I Cannot Support Ubb Via ICQ or MSN.
Not because I dont want to its just I cant. tipsy
Thank you all for your replies. I will now look into your information and see what we can do.
Again, thank you very much.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Ruben Rocha
Ruben Rocha
Lutz,FL,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63