Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#176665 08/23/2002 11:25 AM
Hi there.

I use a really old messageboard, and have recently asked if memebers want to move to something more modern like phpBB, but very few want to move because they are happy with the features of our current board, and also don't want to move because of this history the board has amassed over the years.

We are using this board :

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 5.10
© Madrona Park, Inc., 1998.

Pretty ancient I know smile

Either way, the updates we want are :

-to say who posted last in each topic (it currently just has : Last post - 08-23-02 09:04 AM)

-when you are replying to a topic, show all previous posts in order of most recent first, at the moment it is generally most recent last, but occasionally puts them in some strange order..

If we could get these through hacks, or possibly they could be done by just editing some of the code? I don't really want to upgrade to a newer version, avatars & smilies etc, are all eye candy that aren't really needed smile

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Iain

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Welcome Iain smile

My first question would be, are you able to upgrade? There are many security holes in that old of a version. smile You might at least consider upgrading to 5.47e (it's still in the members area, tho unsupported...)

Most modifications for the v5 series are written for 5.45c+

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Just noticed this part:
Freeware

It's been a couple years since we've been allowed to modify the freeware code, you might really consider upgrading or moving to another free solution that's more current.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I have looked around, and one of the hacks I'm after is available for 5.39+

Where can I get 5.47e that you say, I try going into the members area (from the link at the top) and it sais access is forbidden!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
If you have never purchased a ubb, you'll need to do so, you'll get a year of members area access with the purchase. 5.47e is in there, as well as 6.3.1.1 (6.4 on the way with the very things you are looking for in the base code + many other things - and it will look/ operate the same as your current forum, so your users will remain satisfied smile )

If you do go that route, upgrade to 5.47e first, then upgrade to 6.3/6.4 smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Aah ok then, thanks. I'm seriously unwilling to pay for a bulletin board! We are having to pay enough for servers at the moment, and I'd hate to force donations onto our players!

I'll see if the code for the hacks I've found can be modified to work on 5.10, unless I can find a copy of 5.4+ lying around somewhere smile

Thanks for the help! smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
welcome, ask again if you have more questions smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Wow 5.10. eek

But welcome to UBBDev, and have fun. smile

Ok then... So I've followed advice and kitted up a new v6.05 board to look how I want it. The problem is it's empty at the moment.

I've found converting my database over to be a bit of a headache.

I can't import v5.10 stuff directly into v6.05 apparently... it can only accept stuff from a 'proper' version of ubb 5.x (not 5.10 -> 2000d)

So.. I got a 5.47 board, and from the sound of the instructions, I can just copy a few of the board files over my original v5.10 ones, and it'll be a brand new board!

I don't trust those instructions and my lack of knowledge... so I'm making a backup board. (10k files & 100mb to ftp around frown )

I've read from old threads here that people upgraded from 5.46 -> 6.x, so I'm hoping once I have a complete backup database with 5.47 board files.... I can then import that into my 6.05 board... and then move that to it's old home.

So, that's kinda nasty for a noobie like me. So, does anyone have any tips, or decent instruction sets to help me out? I have the ubb 5.47 Users Manual, but that as I expected is very scarce of helpful info. :S

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You are asking us to tread on very thin ice here regarding legal issues. I have reservations that you paid for the 5.47 or the 6.05, since you said you didn't want to. 6.3.1.1 is the latest version that's public. You'll have to do this on your own if you insist, as I can't help. smirk

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Aah I understand shocked )

As far as I know the 6.05 was paid for, not by me though, it was just given to me from a friend.

Thinking about that statement though, is it classed as legal seeing as I have what I belive is the only copy of the board, his comment on sending it me was "here have this sh1t" because it's antiquated.

I couldn't buy my own copy of it if I had the cash, without having to pay for a brand new feature rich board, only to come to your members area and download an old one!

And no way do I want to upgrade! I'm aiming to get my new board back down to the simplicity of 5.10, moving to 6.3.3.1 would be a step in the wrong direction?

Hmm... thanks for replying though smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You and he would need to get it cleared through IP for you to use it legally, check for a contact page at their site.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Ok thanks.

What I'm wondering is has this sort of ostracised me from ubbdev? I know you're not tolerant of warez users, but I don't know where I sit.

As a testiment to my determination (not skill) I have finally got the board spluttering and coughing onto ubb 6! I found the way to go from 5.10 -> 6.05 smile It's got problems with y2k atm, and users having no name!

The y2k problem another friend is fixing by writing a program to trawl through the thread cgi files and convert -02|| to -2002|| etc. Then I guess I can rebuild the index's and it'll be fine? smile

I hope I can stay a part of ubbdev, I would like to at least offer something in return for the help I've gotten here so far. Me humbled smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You haven't been banned, yet wink

One thing to keep in mind, 6.05 is a very old version as well, very few people still run it, let alone modify it. If answers to questions come slowly, that's why.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63