Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Since upgrading to v6 beta 74, my member numbers have been starting at #1. I had a slightly hacked 5.47 before converting--I thought I had wiped out the member files extra fields but obviously didn't. I understand this was a screw-up.

But I still really want to try to fix this member numbering issue.

Does anyone here have a suggestion on possible coding that could let UBB start its numbering system at a higher number so I can stop erasing earlier member numbers? I have a little time to play with this problem as the first few hundred registered users do not post on my board anymore

Twinstuff.com

but eventually we will be reaching registered users who I don't want to lose.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
So you want to change the user numbering?

UBB6 uses the actual user number for many, many routines. Trying to change that number is not advisable. Your users will need to deal with their numbers.....

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Okay, if changing the user numbers isn't advisable, do you think there is anything else I can do at this point to get the program back to starting the numbers in the 1900's or higher so I don't start deleting members accounts of the board's more active users?

Is there any chance it might fix itself when v6 goes from Beta to released version?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Maybe there's a miscommunication here or something...

Please re-explain the problem... I don't quite think I understand...

I upgraded my hacked 5.47 UBB to 6, beta version 74. I thought I had stripped all extra member file fields, but evidently didn't before upgrading.

The upgrade worked fine, but when I switched over, the numbering system that assigns a member number to my new registrated users on the board started back over at #1.

I had about 1870 registered users before switching and am now up to 1888. The last 15 or so have been assigned member #1, #2, #3, etc. up to #15. These are writing over the original registered users of my board who had numbers 1 to 15. I'm not panicking yet because my board has been in operation for a few years and actually these early registrants aren't still active--but soon (around the 200's or so), it will start getting to users who are still active in my board (I'm the moderator and my registration number is actually in the 900's). I've seen the problem reported once or twice more on either this board of infopop's site.

I'm wondering if this problem might correct itself when we get out of beta or if there is something else someone can suggest at this point to try to make the program stop assigning numbers in the teens and re-start in the 1900's so it doesn't overwrite current registrants.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I can ask this a different way. I've seen reference on this board to a tool which will automatically strip extra member fields created by earlier hacks.

Could someone please let me know the URL of that tool?

Also, would using this tool after launching a 6.0 (beta 74) strip those extra fields that are now a part of the new UBB?

Finally would running this strip extra fields tool (if I find it) even help me at this point? Remember, I've already upgraded from my hacked 5.47 to 6.00 so will stripping fields now help UBB start adding new member numbers correctly?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Aha.

Okay... I don't have the link to the thread with the utility with me at the moment, but it's here in Chit Chat and was posted in a thread started by someone else, whcih is at least two pages long. smile

The utility should run fine, but it WILL remove all extra profile fields, including those that have since been added by the UBB.

As for the member problem - after you've stripped the profile fields, shut DOWN your board and open an Infopop support ticket - you have some nasty problems there that they'll need to look at.

Thanks. I finally found the script you're talking about (actually it looks like there are two of them).

Instead of shutting down the board however, after running the scripts, couldn't I just stop accepting new registrations for awhile?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
That should work, but do open that ticket...

How is it that the category Moderator is attributed to a member in the version 6.05? confused

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63