Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
svr
Hi guys, I have a hacked v.5.47e board that makes it so that all the Member files have extra profiles for Avatars, etc. settings.

I got the newstrip.cgi file from Infopop's download section.

However when I run it with all the settings for Members directory, UltBB.setup and cgibin 755'ed inclding this newstrip.cgi file,

the following error message shows up:

The MembersPath I detected, 'qq(/home/name/Members);', does not seem to exist. I could not find the memberslist file.

Do I have to have the Board off or on? It's off right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
svr
Is there any other script that does the member profile line stripping thing and works? I read on another forum here that there is another script on ubbdev? Thanks.

Content Queen
Content Queen
Okay, this may be a pie-in-the-sky kind of a request, but is there any way that the newstrip.cgi file be upgraded so that it works more efficiently with the later versions of UBB.classic?

Because of the hacks I've done, whenever I reload the test board (and, in the not too distant future, my regular board) -- I get the "corrupt" notice about member fields.

Unless I'm wrong, the only way to "fix" that issue is with the newstrip.cgi file.

This file WORKS but it also removes all of my avatar information.

I think the reason for this is back in November of 2001, the avatars weren't a feature of UBB.classic; so the newstrip.cgi program is thinking it needs to "strip" that field away, too.

It's the only thing I can think of as my avatar was "stripped" when I just reinstalled a "clean" version of 6.5.0 and I had to use the newstrip.cgi to get the board to function (before I used the newstrip.cgi, I had gone into the profile, and my avatar was still there--IOW, the change to a "clean 6.5.0" didn't cause the issue).

Thanks!

Sue
adwoff.com
ADWOFF:

I haven't used the newstrip.cgi in the past 3 upgrades. Normally I hack the board while it's running publicly but there are certain hacks that you will need to edit the member's profile and registration profile slots. I'm sure you can change the allowable member profile fields pass the default number which was around 39...Possibly it's up to 61 now. Even that won't work in some cases.

So before I upgrade I list the hacks that I will need to edit the profile slots and do them prior to the upgrade. Once completed I then upload all of the edited files along with the upgrade UBB default files (your edited files will overwrite the default UBB files). When I'm satisfied only then I press the Upgrade button in CP. When I upgrade, I'm also upgrading the edit files simultaneously. This way I don't need to use newstrip (which hasn't worked for newer UBB versions anyway) and no errors occur. laugh

By doing so you will also keep the members' custom settings such as font colors, avatars and others... smile

Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
ADWOFF:

I haven't used the newstrip.cgi in the past 3 upgrades. Normally I hack the board while it's running publicly but there are certain hacks that you will need to edit the member's profile and registration profile slots. I'm sure you can change the allowable member profile fields pass the default number which was around 39...Possibly it's up to 61 now. Even that won't work in some cases.
Okay, PT, if I'm reading this correctly, that means I go into the "clean" UBB files before I do the upgrade, and change the profile fields. Is that what you're saying?

I'll gladly do that before having to go through & redo all the avatars. tipsy

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
Basically. laugh I add the hacks (e.g., Avatars, Font Custom Hack, Quick Reply and etc.) that will affect the Registration and Profile fields before I start the upgrade process. Prior to upgrading I make sure all of the UBB's default files (and hacked files) are uploaded together on the server. So when I upgrade, I'm actually upgrading the custom (replaced .pl and .cgi )files at the same time with no errors. smile

Content Queen
Content Queen
Ah. Gotcha smile

I get pretty anal retentive when it comes to uploading stuff on my "main board" laugh -- always thought I'd have to first upload the new board files (i.e. clean files for 6.5.0) and then upload the hacked files.

Sue
adwoff.com
It's a different approach but it works for me and hope it works for you too. smile

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
You could just open ubb_lib_files.cgi and look for $maxmemfields twice and set it to 61 (or whatever number you need). Pretty simple and it works.

I've done that as well but even after changing the "$maxmemfields" sometimes I still got the errors. So I experimented with edited .cgi and .pl files and when the edited .pl files were uploaded there were no errors.

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
If you set the number properly you won't get any errors. I'm still using the members files from the first version I installed and everytime I start fresh on the UBB install I change those two and it works 100 percent.

If these numbers aren't changed, or the extra lines removed from the members files then all the editing of other files won't fix the errors unless you hack out the check somehow.

Maybe we can get CC to drop in and give us the right info in case we're both wrong...

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
This is why my second modification I apply is Quick Reply... The instructions have you change $maxmemfields.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
quote:
Originally posted by TheX:

If you set the number properly you won't get any errors.
Possibly, but I think in my case it's different. I used to modify just the "$maxmemfields" and upgraded successfully a couple of times a while ago. Since then, modifying the number alone didn't work.

What worked for me however, was rather interesting. As soon as I've modified the Registration and Profile .pl files, uploaded to the upgrade default UBB files, I was able to continue the upgrade process without a glitch. At the current time my "$maxmemfields" are set to 61 (in both slots) which is for the Quick Reply hack. On any other circumstance one would think that by changing the default "$maxmemfields" (from 36 or 39) to 61 prior to upgrading would be enough.

One thing I've come to understand is that there are no set rules of errors and solutions to a problem...Especially in UBB. I can only go by what I've tested and experienced. With upgrading and editing, I don't mind going through the extra steps as long as it comes out error free. smile

Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
Basically. laugh I add the hacks (e.g., Avatars, Font Custom Hack, Quick Reply and etc.) that will affect the Registration and Profile fields before I start the upgrade process. Prior to upgrading I make sure all of the UBB's default files (and hacked files) are uploaded together on the server. So when I upgrade, I'm actually upgrading the custom (replaced .pl and .cgi )files at the same time with no errors. smile
Okay ... I just wanna confirm this ONE MORE TIME because I am planning on doing the upgrade on Tuesday.

I can take all of my "hacked files"/clean files that came with the 6.5.0 upgrade and upload them to my "live board" ... and then click on the Upgrade Your UBB.Classic.

Correct?

Sue
adwoff.com
Yup. smile Probably it's not recommended but I've never had an error from upgrading that way. tipsy Here are the steps I take:

1. Back up the board (we routinely do this anyway).
2. Close the board down in CP.
3. Go to the Upgrade page.
4. Upload all of the default (required) files that come with an upgrade onto the server.
5. Upload all of the files that I've edited (replacing the default files in #2).
6. Check to make sure all required files were uploaded correctly.
7. Hope for the best. laugh
8. Click the "Upgrade" button.
9. Open the board and wait for the reaction by the members. tipsy

Anyway, I hope it works for you. If it doesn't then just redo the upgrade the way you normally have in the past. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Ruben Rocha
Ruben Rocha
Lutz,FL,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63