Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How easy is it to upgrade to 6.2 when I'm currently running 6.04d with the following hacks:

UBBNews 2 (AWESOME HACK!)
Latest Topics (SSI ... lt.cgi)
Individual Poster Stats
Calendar Hack
Basic Private Message Notification (Simple)
Next and Previous Page Link
Thread-Polls
ELY_M's File Upload
Hidden Private Forums 1.1
Printable Version
Memberlist
Hit Counter
Last Username to Post
Rate Topic
Who's Online 3.9
Statistics
AIM/ICG Hack
Name Glow (Boring)
Anchor Hack

Some of these hacks added extra fields in the flat file "database" which is not compatible with a stock UBB.

I tried upgrading the engine on a test server, and it was full of errors.

I'm sure lots of you power users upgrade all the time. Is it going to be that much of a pain?

Any suggestions, other than installing a new load and rehacking each and every hack listed above (which I know is going to be the very first answer to this)?

Here's the URL to my board http://dinofilias.com

My Ubb

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions/feedback.

Sponsored Links
bump

Thanks for all the support. Maybe it'll be just easier to switch to phpBB. confused

Developer
Developer
Dino,

Any upgrade with this amount of hacks will be hard unless you're willing to put in the time and effort to learn about UBB. Some of these hacks exist in 6.1 and 6.2 but some others do not.

I'm sure that if you spent some time using the search feature, you would have found this answer already.

qasic

Unless you're willing to erase all your hacks, you just follow the upgrade instructions in the ubb 6.2 or 6.1 upgrade zip, you can rehack your ubb after that. But if I were you, I'd wait a few days for 6.2.1 to come out..

Sponsored Links
Thanks qasic, and Teleknesis for the responses.

I've actually been using and hacking UBB now for about 2.5 years. But I never remember versions ever changing this fast. It's almost a new version per week...

Per the canned "search" advice... that was the first thing I did. It would take me a month to read and sort through all the garbage, vs. the 5.6 seconds it would take someone that's done it, to respond. I just wanted to hear it from you experienced hackers that make UBB hacking a career.

Thanks anyways.

Can't I just backup the /Templates directory, then do a fresh load of 6.2.x, then transfer the /Templates to the fresh load? I don't care about the old hacks... I can always add those later... I just want to preserve the posts.

Can't the UBB fix "corrupt" files (aka strip out the added fields in the "flat" database)?

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
First, get this file and use it. Then, follow the instructions in the upgrade file in order to upgrade. You won't even have to do any searching or hardly any work. :rolleyes:

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
And the moral of this story is?... "Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

Thank you so much. In my previous post, I meant copying the Forum directories, not the /Template directory.

The moral of this story is don't hack, if you ever plan on upgrading, unless you hold a PhD in Perl. laugh

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ummm...

You're not allowed to download from https://ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000527!

It forwarded me to UBBCentral page... any insight on which download?

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
quote:
Originally posted by Dino:
The moral of this story is don't hack, if you ever plan on upgrading, unless you hold a PhD in Perl.

:D

Don't even worry about moving stuff around. Just run the file, which will stript down your profiles, and then perform the upgrade like it says. You'll lose your hacks, but your members, posts, styles, etc. will all be there, right where you left them. wink

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Those jerks! wink Go here and get the one corresponding to "Member
Field Strip - English Version (#!/usr/bin/perl)."

That's exactly what I need. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63