Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
This problem just started today. ? and % are recognized as characters in the title of a topic, but regular letters are not. If I try to start a topic titled "xxx?", it will come out titled "?". If I try to start a topic titled "xxx", it gives the error message: "We cannot post your topic because the subject does not contain at least one letter or number."

My board is UBB 6.3.0

You can try it yourself on the open forum of my board. You don't need to register:

edited out by Oblomov

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Do you have the censor enabled?

If so remove any non-alphanumeric characters from it, then report back here with what they are so I can add filters to prevent such things.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Thank you very much! It now works.

All the * characters added by me to post this. Take out all * to get the correct understanding.

I first tested to make sure the bug was still there. It was. I then took out all the text from the Censored Words box in my control panel. The bug with the title characters was fixed.

I then put all the text back in the Censored Words box in my control panel. The bug was still fixed. I am leaving all the text back in the Censored Words box.

There is a topic that was started before this bug started. It's title is " * :*) :*) :*)". I tried just now, after doing all of the above, to start another topic called " * :*) :*) :*)", and I also tried to edit the first post in the original " * :*) :*) :*)" topic without altering the " * :*) :*) :*)" title. Both times I got an error message that the subject does not contain at least one letter or number.

The person that started the " * :*) :*) :*)" topic edited their post about an hour before I fixed the bug apparently without problems. Looking at my moderator notification email records, I think that the original title of the topic was " * :*)". I can't now post a topic titled " * :*)".

After doing all the above, I again confirmed at 4:22 PM my forum time that the bug is gone.

Please feel free to post a test topic to my forum and edit it to attempt to recreate the bug.

Bug fixed about 3:00 PM September 13, 2002 my forum time.

Thank you very much for your help.

This is the text that was and is in my Censored Words box in my control panel:

Edited by LK: final warning - there is a reason why the words have *'s in them. If you edit my edit again to add them back, you won't be able to edit any post again wink

This was stuck onto my last message by LK: "Edited by LK: final warning - there is a reason why the words have *'s in them. If you edit my edit again to add them back, you won't be able to edit any post again"

I was not editing my post in order to put dirty words back into it. I was carefully editing my post to make sure I got it precisely right. There were some bad words with "*" in them. I posted them here to give the precise situation that created this bug. I worked for a couple of hours wording it and reediting it just right.

I of course did not see any of your edits. You never bothered to post a reply and you still haven't. Your edits fell victim to your own negligence.

How dare you talk to me in that ugly, rude, manner.

How dare you threaten me like that.

I demand an apology.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
quote:
Originally posted by oblomov:
I of course did not see any of your edits. You never bothered to post a reply and you still haven't. Your edits fell victim to your own negligence.

How dare you talk to me in that ugly, rude, manner.

How dare you threaten me like that.

I demand an apology.
If I were you, I'd take your problem with LK to private before you end up getting banned by another admin. If you were on my community and posted this, I'd ban you no questions asked.

Be careful who you start flying off the handle to.

On a side note: Why did it take you 4 months to come back and complain??

Sponsored Links
I only saw LK's insults and threats against me today.

LK did not discuss this with me privately. LK insulted and threatened me publicly.

This has hurt me deeply. I carefully worked on my post on this topic so I could help these people to fix the bug that occurred. I did this out of friendship, my own bug was fixed.

Please explain how I am "flying off the handle", but you are not? You said "If you were on my community and posted this, I'd ban you no questions asked." How dare you insult me like this. I demand an apology.

I would invite you to my site but my server, H4L is down today. I run a civilized forum. I would not ban you.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
If you have a problem with a moderator or admin's post or action, you need to take that up with them privately. Not whine publicly. LK followed board policy and warned you that swearing is not permitted and going by the swear filter is a no-no.

On my community, one if the rules is "You publicly berate an admin or moderator decision, you are banned immediately"

You drag up a 4 month old thread and start ranting and claiming that you are so offended, yet when you are called on your misappropriate post, you claim that you are the victim.

Give everyone here the courtesy of taking your concerns with LK to PRIVATE and not keep bringing this up.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
By posting those words, you were in violtion of our terms of conduct, and your message was edited as appropriate. You were then warned if you persisted in such behavior that you would be banned.

The warning has been issued in an appropriate manner. There is no need to get upset at this action. Just never do it again.